• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Airheads.org

My Norton was giving me messages yesterday - "Norton has blocked...." but it seems to be cleared up now. Sorry I didn't bother to note what the name of the attempted attack was.

Many years ago when I first got this PC, I used the McAfee security suite - and it failed to block malicious invasions three times, each time requiring me to completely wipe and re-load everything. Screw that. Norton's been issue-free.
(I also have the free version of SuperAntiSpyWare - once in a great while that will catch something before Norton does. The free versions of SpyBot and Malwarebytes also have useful tools and do not interfere, usually.)

Verizon (phone/internet ISP) uses McAfee in their systems with dubious results; Verizon even tries to give their version of McAfee to their subscribers - they can't sell it (too well known as an inferior product). I have to wonder if Mr. McAfee was actually in league with the malware writers...

I've used several different families of systems, both at work (aerospace electronics) and at home, for over twenty-five years. Anybody who thinks their computer is immune - regardless of operating system, brand, cost, or size of the screen and number of colors - is an ostrich.

The discussion as to which platform CAN get virus attacks, or even which platform has been attacked at least seven times totally misses the point. When Apple was a very minor player on the home computer market and Windows was the almost unanimous player, lots of folks attacked Windows and didn't bother with Apple. So the threat considered by counting the number of viruses, or the number different infections clearly favored Apple.

To an extent that is still true today. But only to an extent because as Apple has expanded in market share, so has that platform's appeal as a target. When it reaches the point that smartphones become a key target, then Apple's OS is likely to attract more attacks than most any other because of the sheer number of Apple OS users. Android too. Windows Phone not so much due to the piddly number of users.

Now as soon as Win8 propogates widely to computers, tablets, and phones, guess who once again becomes a very attractive target.

Now, you can all argue about the virtues and vices of Flash. I'll go get some more popcorn, or go work on my broken motorcycle.

Another virus hit here

I get a repeat alert from AVG when opening any page on the forum. It is listed as

"HTML/FRAMER"

Showed up today.

My Avast warning keeps going off. Whats up?

JOhn

John -

So does my Avast at home...not the work computer with McAfee. The office IT group is trying to deal with it. Possibly some outside help will be needed that has expertise with vBulletin...we have a specialized version.

I'd be interested in knowing if, after some 8 months, the site is now working good. I know there was reported issues with copyrighted material being misused. Did they get things working reliably????

I actually don't visit the site very much. A few of the key tech articles that I relied on are not back up, per the original author's wishes. One in particular was Joe 'Cudas relay article. I've not heard Joe mention that he plans on hosting it anywhere else.

I'll have to check out the site again, as I was trying to renew online, but could not. My subscription to the publications ran out as well, so maybe I'm just back to square one now.

On my desktop computer, the ISP provided software is set to update automatically. Currently it is running McAfee Security Center 11.6.435, McAfee Virus Scan 15.6.231, McAfee Personal Firewall 12.6.186, McAfee Site Advisor 3.4.1.195.

My laptop runs Microsoft Security Essentials, also updated automatically.

I've never received any warning messages about this site on either computer.

That was then. Today, whenever I visit here, McAfee is blocking what it claims is a Trojan(JS/Exploit-Blacole.gq) stored in my FireFox cache. Notifications are popping up randomly, though seem to be more frequent when I change forums, or change to a different thread.

I shut down Firefox, deleted the Firefox, IE and Java caches, rebooted, and ran a complete scan which found no problems. I visited several other websites with no problems. As soon as I came back to bmwmoa.org the notifications resumed.

They're back.....

All "Garage" forums plus this one. Probably others as well.

16:20 PST

Attachments

• threat image.jpg
    threat image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 21
the site www.airheads.org seems to be working as of this post

8:18 pm Eastern US time

Using Linux Ubuntu op sys and either Chrome Browser or Links Text based Browser

But came up with this image warning when I made this post

Attachments

• MOA Airheads Problem.jpg
    MOA Airheads Problem.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
I sure do wish and think it would be nice if the moderators or powers that be at the MOA would give us all a heads up and let us know what has happened, what has been done. Like gee wiz guys, I thought we were family.:brow

The forum had to come down due to the viruses and needed the upgrade. To be truthful, we don't have a good way to mass email all users about what is happening. About all we can do is build on the fact that we were having issues (you probably saw some warnings from your virus package) and then when you come back you either saw the "404" message or you saw a screen that said the forums were closed for posting. It's not a good situation, but about all that could be done over a short period of time.

Things should be working better now.

Back