• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

f800st fuel tank

ron blais

Have a new machine that goes on reserve at 120+-miles. The tank will never accept more than 2.3 gallons? MPG runs about 50+. It all seems very strange for a 4 gal. tank/ Comments please

Have a new machine that goes on reserve at 120+-miles. The tank will never accept more than 2.3 gallons? MPG runs about 50+. It all seems very strange for a 4 gal. tank/ Comments please
Hi Ron, Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move this over to F-Twins for ya. Some of the gang will fix you up.
(btw my f800 does around 53 mpg. My fill-ups @ around 160 miles area about 3Gal. Gary

If you stick the nozzle fully into the tank and let it "clunk" off by itself that will happen.

To maximize capacity and range, park the bike on the side stand, not the centre stand. Fill quickly until the pump "clunks" off. Withdraw the nozzle some and continue filling slowly while watching the fuel trickle in, stopping when it rises above the base of the filler neck.

You'll get full capacity that way. I could regularly get a range of 350 km with my F800ST which is about 220 mi.

sounds like the issue is that your reserve light comes on too early. either the OBC is at fault, or the float that triggers the reserve light is set incorrectly.
on my F8GS, reserve comes on at 3.5 miles; anywhere from 160-220 miles into the tank. The tank is 4.2 gallons, which is consistent for all F800s, excluding the R. It apparently has only a ~3.6 tank.

With is the F800R refill capacity?

I'm trying to answer a question for someone with a 2011 F800R. According to the BMW specifications, both the 2011 and 2012 Rs have a 4.2 gallon tank. This person has only been able to get in just over 3.5 gallons after having run out of gas. I don't know if that is filling on the side stand, or vertically. If you have an F800R, what is your experience with usable fuel capacity?

there's a thread going on at another site addressing this very concern. http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,69943.0.html Seems that the US version of the F8R comes with a 3.5 tank, regardless of what the info says on BMW's websites.
The position and angling of the F800 fuel tank & filler is such that you can fill best when on sidestand, rather than c-stand (designed to do that, according to my owner's manual).

Sounds like from that thread that there's no conformation that the US versions have the 3.5 gal tank rather than 4.2 gal. Thanks.

I used to refuel mine at 165 miles. I never filled it into the filler neck. So I don't know if I ever got more than 3 gallons in there. I suppose the filler tube reaches down into the tank, and you cannot fill the tank to the top of the tank, ever. Only to the bottom of the filler tube.
dc

I used to refuel mine at 165 miles. I never filled it into the filler neck. So I don't know if I ever got more than 3 gallons in there. I suppose the filler tube reaches down into the tank, and you cannot fill the tank to the top of the tank, ever. Only to the bottom of the filler tube.
dc

What year is your F800?

F800ST, 2008. Was. I sold it, after replacing the rear axle.
But I think the tank is the same for 2005 or 6 when they began up to 2012?
But I should also mention, I always refueled on the center stand. The bike is more stable that way. Which may also limit the amount of gas going in.
dc

F800ST, 2008. Was. I sold it, after replacing the rear axle.
But I think the tank is the same for 2005 or 6 when they began up to 2012?
dc

It seems that there may be two different sized tanks for F800s depending on the model and year. I'm trying to run down some details for someone who bought a 2011 F800R that was advertized as having a 4.2 gallon tank. Thanks for your help! :thumb

Greg- is this ferenc's bike from sport-touring?
If so, i am not sure that he was ever actually told, and even less likely informed in writing by BMW, that the tank was a 4.2 gallon tank. it almost sounds like he assumed that the 2011 was identical to the 2012 units, and the dealer did not tell him/know otherwise. he's blaming it on BMW and their obfuscation of truth, and the fault might actually be his inability to read the info available or to ask correct questions. (i am just making some observations & expressing some thoughts aloud- and I could be totally off base as well)

Last edited:
Whoa?
The 2012 have a bigger tank? Well, ...
I need to check the online info myself for the new bikes.
dc

Greg- is this ferenc's bike from sport-touring?
If so, i am not sure that he was ever actually told, and even less likely informed in writing by BMW, that the tank was a 4.2 gallon tank. it almost sounds like he assumed that the 2011 was identical to the 2012 units, and the dealer did not tell him/know otherwise. he's blaming it on BMW and their obfuscation of truth, and the fault might actually be his inability to read teh info available or to ask correct questions. (i am just making some observations & expressing some thoughts aloud- and I could be totally off base as well)

Yes, this is Ferenc's bike/problem. He said the dealer he bought his 2011 F800R from said it had a 4.2 gallon tank. I called my local dealer after talking with Ferenc several weeks ago, and they said their 2011 F800R brochure said 4.2 gallons. However, his owner's manual said 3.5 gallons. Although Ferenc is not an MOA member at this point, we've been trying to give him some help to get this resolved.

glad that it was not a reading comprehension issue, but upsetting that a dealer could lead him astray, with no backup from "der company".

glad that it was not a reading comprehension issue, but upsetting that a dealer could lead him astray, with no backup from "der company".

Part of the mystery is that I've talked with a couple of dealers who said they believed the only differences between the 2011 and 2012 F800Rs was trim and colors. :dunno

Have same problem

Hi,
I think I have your answer. I too had the same problem. I have a 2012 f800st going on 5 weeks. I have 2,500 miles already so I have filled up quite a few times. Every time my fuel light went on I would only be able to get about 2.5 gallons or so of gasoline in the tank. I figured that the fuel strip was faulty and it was reading early. It did not seem like a big deal so I thought I would mention it to my dealer at the 6k service. Well I thought wrong. On my way to work last week it clunked out of gas just showing at 50 miles from when the light came on. A previous poster is correct you have to pull the fuel nozzle out a few times and carefully add small bits of petrol at a time to actually achieve a full tank. The fuel filling neck is a lot shorter on a motorcycle then a car so that is why you get a false fuel fill on the f800st.

I picked up my 2012 R about 2 weeks ago, the most I have been able to get in the tank was 3.694 gallons, that was at my first fill up. The couple times after that it was less than 3.5. The bike is currently in the shop getting its run in check.

On another note, my fuel gauge reads full until there are about 120 miles on the clock, after it finally disappears it goes into the basement pretty quick and the light comes on around 160 miles. I am guessing thats due to the strange shape of the tank.

Glad I rejoined MOA, I was hear a couple years ago when I had a F650GS. Looking forward to hanging out!

Back