• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

scooter subforum!

Should the name then be changed to ...

BMW Motorcycle and Scooter Owners of America?

Perhaps there should be a BMW car subforum, too.

I would assume that once those models start hitting the dealers and into riders hands, a section will be made for them. Just like the Hex/Cams,The F-Twins, the wedge K's, the K1600... it's a BMW motorcycle in the big scheme.

And BTW there is a car forum on the other channel as you know...these are bikes:brow

I would assume that once those models start hitting the dealers and into riders hands, a section will be made for them. Just like the Hex/Cams,The F-Twins, the wedge K's, the K1600... it's a BMW motorcycle in the big scheme.

And BTW there is a car forum on the other channel as you know...these are bikes:brow

Even in the big scheme it is not a "motorcycle" and that is exactly the reason why I shall probably be purchasing a GT for the wife. Maxi-Scooters are a relatively new breed of vehicles that fill a niche that motorcycles cannot.

Sorry to disagree so passionately.

Should the name then be changed to ...

BMW Motorcycle and Scooter Owners of America?

Perhaps there should be a BMW car subforum, too.

A while back I did start a tongue-in-cheek discussion on this forum about changing the name of the BMMOA to the BMWMSOA.

Interesting replies.

Even in the big scheme it is not a "motorcycle" and that is exactly the reason why I shall probably be purchasing a GT for the wife. Maxi-Scooters are a relatively new breed of vehicles that fill a niche that motorcycles cannot.

Sorry to disagree so passionately.

two wheeled vehicle = cycle
motorized propulsion = motor

Call it what the marketers choose, it's still a motorized cycle , just a different class.
;)

Do you need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to operate one? Yes, so it's a motorcycle. Does the fact that it doesn't have a clutch lever disqualify it as a motorcycle? Well the new VFR is available with an "automatic" and it's still a motorcycle.

two wheeled vehicle = cycle
motorized propulsion = motor

Call it what the marketers choose, it's still a motorized cycle , just a different class.
;)

Brits & other Euro folks sometimes use "powered two wheelers"--"PTW" as a general category for (motorcycles + scooters).

BMW PTWA ?? :dunno
Somehow I don't think that would fly.
"Pitwah" (?) doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as "MOA" ;)

Hmmm

Ya'll are a touchy bunch. Just a mention of scooter, is a challenge to manhood it seems. This ought to be fun. :lurk

Just a mention of scooter, is a challenge to manhood it seems.

Nyeah... easy fix.

harley+scooter.jpg

Why not call them what they are; a "STEP THROUGH" or maybe "STEP OVER"

They are not really a scooter as the term is generally applied, and the displacement is much larger than anything else in the scooter category .

I for one an excited to see this development from BMW and will be looking closely at them and listening to the first year owners chatter about them.

I came very close to buying a Burgman before I bought my Airhead last year, then decided to wait until BMW's offering hit the streets.

Not yet...

A scooter subforum is an OK idea, but let's wait until the BMW scooters are actually available. In the meantime, keeping the speculation and anticipatory discussion in Motorrad will keep all of us informed about these new vehicles. Personally, I do not expect to have a scooter or to regularly follow a scooter forum, but I like having a little info to share with my scooter friends.

Hey I like my "tiny wheeled" scooter, Steve.
It's scary fun.
Got one of the above (GT) in the "werks", long wait until what did they say, August?

Sub-forum . . . bah. FORUM Hmmmmmm!
(oh dont get all bent out of shape im kidding)

I suspect that while some sales of these will go to current scooter owners, a fair portion will be to experienced riders of traditional motorcycles. There is a contingent of folks who want lighter and convenient with adequate power and are mature enough not to feel "threatened" by something that looks a bit scootter-ish even if it does have decent size wheels. Heck, our local club already has folks who own RTs or similar and a Vespa and come to meetings on whatever they're riding that day.
If the regular RT/GS keeps getting taller I may want one of these myself. BMW has already designed women away from almost all of the product line by its height.

Last edited:
I would welcome a scooter sub-forum here on our site - it addresses a legitimate need for the exchange of ideas, knowledge and opinions for a riding-related demographic within our BMW club.

That being said, it's just my opinion here, but I'll stick with motorcycles as long as I physically can safely manipulate their controls. Besides the style and power, it's the shifting that I get a big kick out of. I've always been a "I drive the vehicle rather than the vehicle drives me" kind of guy.

Scooter operators don't place as high a premium on clutch-throttle sync, and that's OK - different strokes for different folks.

Heck - since I instruct MSF Scooter BRC's at two different locations 6 months out of every year, I often spend more annual hours on scooters than many scooter owners do.

I just prefer motorcycles.

Whatever you ride, ride safely, ATGATT and aware! :thumb

Back