• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

Drive shaft unbolted and off with the swing arm and rear wheel assembly. This should make tranny removal easier with that round rubber round thing out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 389
tranny came off and out pretty easily. It seems to work just fine so I will not be opening that can of worms. Just scrubbing it, cleaning it, giving it a spit shine, and throwing it back in the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 382
just an idea...

If you open an account with photobucket.com (it's free) or other similar site you won't have to limit your image posts to one at a time. It's also easier to manage large numbers of images.

i'm digging the photos and process, so keep it coming! but yeah, multiple photos in one post would be sweeter.

I'd wrap something, a rag, around the connecting rods before moving engine around anymore. Other than that very cool and fun to follow the tear down.

I'd wrap something, a rag, around the connecting rods

or fit some blocks, etc.

BTW, that's a pretty healthy looking front tire... what size is it?

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 331
or fit some blocks, etc.

BTW, that's a pretty healthy looking front tire... what size is it?

I'll have to check on that tire size.....They were replaced before I bought it. There were a few things done to the bike before it was sold to me. Newerish fenders, new fork seals and springs, and new rubber.

Thanks for the advice! I need stronger rubber bands. These pictures are about two months old so if you see more shots of dangling rods they're not to spite you!

For those who'd like more photos I have an album on-line. You're welcome to check them out but I figure 3 things:
1. The mass majority of them aren't that interesting/most are meant to help guide me in getting this thing back together!
2. Most are not that thorough. My hands are too busy to take a picture of all the little cool stuff at each step.
3. You may think I own stock in PBR and are single handedly keeping them in business.

http://gallery.me.com/barrettnjones#100299&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Thanks for the SUGGESTIONS! Keepem' coming!

The steering assembly and front end came out pretty easily. As mentioned before the forks got new springs and seals right before it was sold to me so I won't be doing anything there except for checking the brake and cleaning it up a bit.

Question: Just after dropping the shocks down I realized I didn't make the location of the lower fork cross brace on each shock. Any good ideas as to know how far to slide the fork back up or is it a moot question because as long as the shocks are in the same position it doesn't quite matter.

Here's a pice of it all off the frame except for some small things here and there.
Almost ready for the sandblaster!!

Attachments

• IMG_4632.jpg
    IMG_4632.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 347
Finally got the driveshaft pressed out of the swing arm. What a crazy thing that was. My buddy has a half ton press in his barn. He was happy to help but it was about 16 degrees out there. After a few tries and a realization that we're just not applying enough force it finally popped out. I think I lost a finger or two to frostbite.
When it's time, how in the hell am I going to get that shaft pressed back together with the clutch bell housing!!!!:dunno

Attachments

• IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 345
A little steel wool, Mother's, elbow grease, and BAM!! New lens covers, gaskets, and bolts too.

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 345
How do I know if any clutch parts need replacing?

Before tear down the clutch was super grabby.

Attachments

• IMG_4646.jpg
    IMG_4646.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 347
I know what your goin thru. I have my '74 R90/6 apart for a total rehab. Engine out of bike and mostly built. Endless projects ahead to push it forward to completion. This afternoon I will ride my '71 R50/5, which is also my first bike, as a tribute to both you and me. Just keep plugging away; we'll get ur done. :thumb

Great thread; thanks for posting.

You must be putting in a lot of hours, having two new "projects" going at the same time.

Last edited:
Back