• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

What I have done is modify the bracket so the shifter will clear.

I also had a problem with the exhaust hanger clamp breaking so I made a bracket to support it from the front motor mount.
I also added a small bolt from the back side that threaded into the Brown Sidestand mount.

If you undo the nut from the right side enough so that the nut is at the end of the threads, the left side will have just the right amount of threads left when you tighten everything up.

Thanks for the info MacGyver!
Sweet set up you got there!

After some time spent in the oven the cover accepted the frozen crank oil seal with no issues. Now where did I put that ignition sensor bolt?

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 226
There is the bird's nest in the head light casing. I started this project with the idea of avoiding this mess but the I went and purchased a new main wiring harness. I don't know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
Not a task I want to begin tonight but I'm sure I'll post more on that later.

The tranny is suppose to go right in there behind the engine and in front of the swing arm. At least that's where I found it when I started this whole this project. Looks like I'm going to half the pull the swing arm back. And then realign it,,,,,again,,,,for the third time. Well if it ain't worth doing three times then it ain't worth doing once.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 227
I think I've got that whole align the swing arm thing down pat considering I've done it three times already. If this bike rides sideways I'll be damned.
But it's nice to see a lot of clean metal filling that ugly gap between the wheels though huh?

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 225
My partner started calling my bike "mistress' because I seem to silently drift away in the evenings and spend a lot time doing God knows what in the basement.
I'm beginning to see her point.
Look how hot she is! (i mean the bike, but my partner ain't bad neither)

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 225
I lost a bet with my partner and had to wear this ridiculous lip scarf all day. So I just spent the day in the basement! :drink

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 224
Thats my son Emmett. He's checking the specs on the rebuild heads that just arrived from Dan at Cycle Works in KS. New exhaust valves and that over baked carbon casserole is all gone! The valve seats were pitted a little bit. Dan said that instead of replacement they could be trimmed. Saved me about $100.
The rings needed replacing so that stalled the cylinders and pistons from arriving with the heads. That little package of man jewelry should arrive in about a week. I'm really looking forward to finishing up the engine.

Yes, those are little motorcycles on his shirt. You gotta start 'em early.

Attachments

• IMG_5693.jpg
    IMG_5693.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 173
As you can see things are moving right along. Handlebars installed along with most of it's connections. The freshly sand blasted started cover looks great.
I'm really looking forward to /finally/ getting the pistons and cylinders back from CycleWorks.
Question: I've noticed on other threads that people apply a blue sealing goo to the cylinders and gasket when put them back on. What is this stuff? Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_5701.jpg
    IMG_5701.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 289
Question: I've noticed on other threads that people apply a blue sealing goo to the cylinders and gasket when put them back on. What is this stuff? Any recommendations?

When I put the cylinders on the engine, I used a very, very, thin smear of Drei Bond (aka Three Bond, Yamabond, Hylomar, etc.) on the engine side of the base seal.
Be sure you don't put so much on that it plugs the oil path around the cylinder studs, the holes are used to circulate oil to the head.

For the head to cylinder seal, just the head gasket, no sealant required.

When I put the cylinders on the engine, I used a very, very, thin smear of Drei Bond (aka Three Bond, Yamabond, Hylomar, etc.) on the engine side of the base seal.
Be sure you don't put so much on that it plugs the oil path around the cylinder studs, the holes are used to circulate oil to the head.

For the head to cylinder seal, just the head gasket, no sealant required.

Thanks for the info!! I'll look into getting whichever sealant I have available.
Good to know about keeping those Cylinder head holes clean and clear!

+1 on a thin layer of Hylomar Blue at the base of the cylinder, base gasket, and block and on the pushrod seals (inside and out).

Lots of opinions, many, many, on the best sealant for these areas, including some advocates for none at all (dry).

Everybody seems to agree on really clean surfaces and thin applications.

Sucks to have it all together and weep oil, so probably a good place to spend a few extra dollars on a fresh tube of good stuff.

Your bike looks great so far.

Barron

+1 on a thin layer of Hylomar Blue at the base of the cylinder, base gasket, and block and on the pushrod seals (inside and out).

Lots of opinions, many, many, on the best sealant for these areas, including some advocates for none at all (dry).

Everybody seems to agree on really clean surfaces and thin applications.

Sucks to have it all together and weep oil, so probably a good place to spend a few extra dollars on a fresh tube of good stuff.

Your bike looks great so far.

Thanks for the advice and the encouraging words. Definitely a good idea to add a little while it's open.

The new seat came in the mail today from Corbin! I really liked the look of Gunfighter. Here's a picture of it with the tank on. Man, I can't believe it's already June and I'm not riding! I never figured that the pistons and cylinders would be the last thing I'd be waiting on. I'f I'm luck they'll arrive by mail by the end of the week. And if I'm super lucky I can spend the weekend figuring out how they come together.

How's the new seat look?

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 234
Got another package of man jewelry today.

It's amazing how well these parts clean up when properly cleaned. I'm not saying that it looks brand new but these engine parts have had a tough life and if I end up looking this good when I'm 41 years old I'm going to be a happy young man. (in my mind I'm still in my twenties)

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 212
Beautiful seat and jugs! You're on the home stretch now. :thumb

I've always liked those Gunfighters.

Back