• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

barrettnjones

Here in my cozy (heated) Vermont basement during the winter of 2011-2012. I'm what I believe to be half way through and thought I might contribute to the forum that I've so often come to for resource.

Back story:
Owned (but no longer):
2003 F650GS (20 state, 4 Provence trip back in 2006. 10,200 miles)
2007 R1200R (multiple Bum Burner rides up and down the East coast & out to SD)
2010 R1200GS
Sadly, the last bike I had to part with because of the wonderful addition to my new family. My son was born in December of 2010. We found out we were expecting just one week after taking delivery of my dream bike.

Well, you know what DIAPER is spelled backwards?

So alas, I sold the dream bike (the payments of which were the likes of a nice automobile). But only after promising to own a bucket list bike, a /5.

I found a running '72 down in Mass, purchased it, & rode it up (plateless, that was a fun day, July 4th even). The title said it was a '71 but the build date on the side of the frame says september of '71 making it a '72. Running the VIN confirmed this. It took some convincing and a lot of southern charm (I'm from NC but that's another story) to get the VT DMV lady to properly register it in VT as a '72. Unfortunately it's too old for the state to deem it worth titling.

I rode it until Thanksgiving '11 then began the fun.
So here we go.
Hopefully I can make this bike last another 40 years and give it to my son.

Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic. I like taking things apart and figuring out how they work. And then (hopefully) making it work better. My day job is teaching high school math so I'm usually a pretty logical person. If you think there might be an easier way of doing something please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 963
the starter. Check out the oily end to the starter. Definitely a leak down in there some wheres. Rear Main Seal?

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 739
Handle bars removed. 49,821mi on the old girl. Had to saw the steering dampener knob off as it was really rusted on.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 741
Front cover, headlight, exhaust, see ya later.
Luckily the exhaust was removed with little trouble. I'm keeping the bird's nest in the headlight casing untouched. That mess is intimidating as hell and it all works anyway. I just hope I can hook everything back up the way it should go.
Oh ya, there's the right side rockers. Things look pretty good in thar.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 735
There's a piston! That was an exciting day. Check out the burnt carbon casserole on that puppy.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 723
It's only a matter of time until one of these engine studs either takes my eye out or dead legs me while walking by.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 393
Reality check.
Here's the bike up on the hill in my sleepy VT village, Maple Corner, in early October '11. Yeah, I know.
But that's really the name of our village.
It's like living inside a Norman Rockwell.

You may be asking yourself. "hey, that bike looks pretty good. and he said it ran. why in the hell is he doing anything to it? and why am i thinking without capitalization?"

Well, from 3 feet away the bike did look good. But any closer then you began to notice that the frame had the cancer and if it wasn't dealt with that ****s gonna spread. And check out those oil spot on the ground below it growing before my very eyes!

Don't get me wrong. there's a lot of good about this bike. My favorite good is the paint on the tank and headlight casing. Looks a little weathered but original. Never repainted. And weathered like an old friend can feel. It's also complete. There hasn't been any confused young non-mechanic type whose gone through it and messed anything up. I'll be first young non-mechanic type to have that pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 392
Timing cover came off pretty easy. Check out that timing chain! More on that later. Much more.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 389
Back