• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

Oh, by the way, the cup inside the (new) spark plug wire broke off and came out with the plug.
Sweet huh?

Honestly, Barrett - if the cup inside broke, how good was the set to begin with? Just asking. I bought new plug wires from Rick - the quality is top notch. Running your bike around w/different length wires shouldn't do any damage.

So while running one of the older ignition wires (Hucky's sending me a replacement cap free of charge) I rode the bike down into town (montpelier) after adjusting the rocker and valve lash.

I'm really happy with the way the bike is sounding right now! It rode sort of quirky for the first 30 miles but now it has seemed to smoothed itself out. After another 20 miles I'm going to recheck the valve lash and change the oil.

While parked in front of the Capital building to take this picture three different groups of tourist and locals came up to talk about the bike. A couple of them even started taking some pictures.
Here's my picture of the day:

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 339
is it just me, or are your mufflers really long?

attachment.php

Stock /5 mufflers are different from /6 onward mufflers. They are smoothly tapered in a conical elipse down to the rear opening. Check around picture. Only problem with long mufflers is bumping into things in garage whilest trying to leave the premises. two sense.

She turned over 5oK the other evening. I slowed to watch it happen then pulled over to get a pic....

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 270
I wanted to thank everyone here who've spent time reading this thread and/or offered any suggestions to my questions.

My family and I have recently moved out of our tiny lofted apartment with the man cave basement where my rebuild took place. When we moved out, after I mopped the floor I noticed a couple of things.
1. What a pretty space to put a motorcycle.
2. My dreams of bringing the bike up from the basement to live with us in the living room could be realized (if only for a couple of hours).

So I rolled it in a took a couple of shots. The space looks like a studio doesn't it?!

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 199
So I'm getting copious amounts of white smoke coming out of the pipes upon initial crank and turn over. Then, when I give the engine some revs, it slowly dies down. The smoke is inconsistent as it will almost always appear on a cold start and only sometimes appear on a warm crank. As a whole the bike is running great.
Any suggestions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.
:dunno

BTW, after spending $200 for the ignition timing to be tweaked by the dealer, I learned how to do it myself when I installed new points. It took a while to wrap my head around gapping the points then whether it needed retarding or advancing but I finally got it. :dance

So I'm getting copious amounts of white smoke coming out of the pipes upon initial crank and turn over. Then, when I give the engine some revs, it slowly dies down. The smoke is inconsistent as it will almost always appear on a cold start and only sometimes appear on a warm crank. As a whole the bike is running great.
Any suggestions for trouble shooting would be appreciated.
:dunno

BTW, after spending $200 for the ignition timing to be tweaked by the dealer, I learned how to do it myself when I installed new points. It took a while to wrap my head around gapping the points then whether it needed retarding or advancing but I finally got it. :dance

Not sure you worked out your white smoke scenario, and how many miles you have put on the engine to seat rings (I read your entire story but don't remember how your cylinder bores were treated). Many will have vast knowledge I'm sure on this subject here, but it can be oil based smoke, if you also note a haze on decal that almost clinches it. I've found intake valve guide to stem clearance can be a factor for this.
Your project sure turned out nicely, hope you enjoy it as much as it looks good.
Lorne.

Back