Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one of those rebuild stories R50/5

Here's what the left side looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's only a matter of time until one of these engine studs either takes my eye out or dead legs me while walking by.

Work space in my man cave.

Reality check.
    Here's the bike up on the hill in my sleepy VT village, Maple Corner, in early October '11. Yeah, I know.
    But that's really the name of our village.
    It's like living inside a Norman Rockwell.

You may be asking yourself. "hey, that bike looks pretty good. and he said it ran. why in the hell is he doing anything to it? and why am i thinking without capitalization?"

Well, from 3 feet away the bike did look good. But any closer then you began to notice that the frame had the cancer and if it wasn't dealt with that ****s gonna spread. And check out those oil spot on the ground below it growing before my very eyes!

Don't get me wrong. there's a lot of good about this bike. My favorite good is the paint on the tank and headlight casing. Looks a little weathered but original. Never repainted. And weathered like an old friend can feel. It's also complete. There hasn't been any confused young non-mechanic type whose gone through it and messed anything up. I'll be first young non-mechanic type to have that pleasure.

Timing cover came off pretty easy. Check out that timing chain! More on that later. Much more.

Drive shaft unbolted and off with the swing arm and rear wheel assembly. This should make tranny removal easier with that round rubber round thing out of the way.

tranny came off and out pretty easily. It seems to work just fine so I will not be opening that can of worms. Just scrubbing it, cleaning it, giving it a spit shine, and throwing it back in the frame.

rear round thing put back on the make engine removal a little more possible.

just an idea...

If you open an account with photobucket.com (it's free) or other similar site you won't have to limit your image posts to one at a time. It's also easier to manage large numbers of images.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

new kid
    i'm digging the photos and process, so keep it coming! but yeah, multiple photos in one post would be sweeter.

I'd wrap something, a rag, around the connecting rods before moving engine around anymore. Other than that very cool and fun to follow the tear down.

I'd wrap something, a rag, around the connecting rods
    or fit some blocks, etc.

BTW, that's a pretty healthy looking front tire... what size is it?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    or fit some blocks, etc.

BTW, that's a pretty healthy looking front tire... what size is it?
    I'll have to check on that tire size.....They were replaced before I bought it. There were a few things done to the bike before it was sold to me. Newerish fenders, new fork seals and springs, and new rubber.

Thanks for the advice! I need stronger rubber bands. These pictures are about two months old so if you see more shots of dangling rods they're not to spite you!

For those who'd like more photos I have an album on-line. You're welcome to check them out but I figure 3 things:
    1. The mass majority of them aren't that interesting/most are meant to help guide me in getting this thing back together!
    2. Most are not that thorough. My hands are too busy to take a picture of all the little cool stuff at each step.
    3. You may think I own stock in PBR and are single handedly keeping them in business.

http://gallery.me.com/barrettnjones#...lack&view=grid

Thanks for the SUGGESTIONS! Keepem' coming!