• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US to Canada

dougfollett

I'm planning a trip from Vermont to Newfoundland this summer and have a question or two. I live in Washington State and have the "Enhanced" drivers license. I'm assuming that should get me across the border. My concern is with the bike and insurance. I will be borrowing a friends bike. My understanding is that insurance goes with the bike. I'm thinking that he will have to call his agent and get the bike covered for Canada. My concern is that they will stop me at the border and ask me who the bike belongs to. What will they be looking for? Has anyone done anything like this before?

You will need a passport and a notarized letter from your friend saying you have permission to take the bike into Canada.

Make sure you are listed as an operator on his insurance policy, and make sure the policy meets the liability limits for Canada. I've never been asked for proof of insurance at the border, that is likely to happen only if you get stopped by the Mounties.

They are likely to ask you your plate number at the border, as well as where you live, so you may well be having an extended chat with the border agents.

An enhanced licence will work for land crossings in either country. You will need need a letter from the owner and check with insurance that your covered.

traveling to NewFoundland

The advise on the letter from the bike owner and insurance is a good idea, although crossing the border often with borrowed bikes going both directions I've never had any issures Remembering the licence number is an issue since i have 3 bikes and the agent has had to go and look. I have never had any problem. Enjoy your trip to NewFoundland but make sure you have extra time to tour there, a couple ok weeks on the island is hardly enough time. The people there are wonderful and will go out of their way to help. It is a big province and you will totally enjoy it. There are some wonderful roads and the northern peninsula is more than beautiful There are great hiking trails as well some scenic boat tours. If you are there in July or Aug. try and see the padgent in Trinity. Again a nice ride. I am heading there mid to late july once again travelling through Vermont etc. as well. As I normally do, i will be watching for other Beemers. Ride safe and have fun. BOb

Is a passport necessary if I already have an enhanced drivers license? I know it was mentioned as being OK for land crossings but we will be taking a ferry at some point. I plan on leaving the middle of July and spending two weeks on the road. I would like to stay longer but I'm not retired or independently wealthy yet.

Is a passport necessary if I already have an enhanced drivers license? I know it was mentioned as being OK for land crossings but we will be taking a ferry at some point. I plan on leaving the middle of July and spending two weeks on the road. I would like to stay longer but I'm not retired or independently wealthy yet.

A passport is now necessary for Canadians to get across the border into the US. used to be a driver's licence was all it took. US security issue caused the change. I don't know about getting into Canada if you are a US citizen. And, back into US. You need to check well before the trip.

The "enhanced license is one that I think all of the Northern border states issue upon request and for an additional fee. It is "enhanced" or more appropriately imbedded with extra information about the carrier. I don't know exactly what it has on it because the information is on a magnetic strip. It was designed for people who cross the Northern border on a regular basis so that the didn't have to go through the hassle of a passport.

At least for Vermont, the enhanced license looks about like your regular photo license but you need to provide some additional proof of identification (e.g. a passport and or birth certificate) and pay a few bucks, surrender your old photo license, wait a couple of weeks, etc., to get one. They have various high-tech anti-duplication things like a holographic state seal, etc, and they also have encoded info that can be scanned electronically at the border crossing.

The primary purpose is that the enhanced license allows those of us who live near the borders and cross often (by road) to NOT have to carry our passports. Nice if you want to make a spontaneous crossing.

A PRACTICAL difference is that you are supposed to carry the enhanced license in a little foil envelope to protect the encoded/scannable data from betting bunged up, also to prevent unauthorized access to the data by crooks with scanners (??); so every time you need to show your license for ID purposes (writing a check, or getting carded HAHA like anyone on this forum has been carded since Carter was president. . ) you get to take it all the way out of the wallet and out of it's little foil wrapper, etc, etc., rather than just flipping open your wallet. This is a PIA and I threw the foil thing away a long time ago.

Passport:)

They always ask for it now and you MAY get through, but it takes longer without a Passport as they do not like it. State Farm Ins. gives a Canadian Card to American customers before you leave. Others likely will too. I've never been asked for my insurance card! Weapons are a HOT button for'em, they always ask. No jokes please, as they are serious. Always asked how long in Canada and how much money will I spend? Dozens of crossings and always polite, easy for mine and I find USA always harder to bet back into!!! You buy anything expensive in Canada, like tires,etc., be sure stop at Canadian side exit and claim your Canadian tax refunds:). It can make your day smile:). Randy

Are are you suggesting I get a passport even if I already have an enhanced license? I was hoping to save some money as I already have the enhanced license, just never used it. We plan on being in Canada for two weeks.

Doug,

You should be OK with an enhanced driver's license. This US State Department website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

addresses entry of US citizens from Canada to the US and states:

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

I know that an enhanced license is all that is required, I was just reacting to Polarbear's comment that "it may take longer because they don't like it". I guess I'll assume that the enhanced is enough and leave it at that. I don't plan on traveling by air, just motorcycle and once in Canada, a ferry.

Back