• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

85 R80 driveshaft

roncooper

The driveshaft is making a thumping noise as the rear wheel turns. The owner pulled the boot back and reports that the shaft moves about 1/16-1/8 inch side to side at the Ujoint. There is no torsional movement in the joint. What are the options here?

rebuild the driveshaft
youll have to send it out, its not a diy to replace the u-jont
having rebuilt is about 1/2 new

or you can get one on fleabay

Anyone recommended? Bruno did my K75-not sure if he does airheads.

He should! His website has a picture of an Airhead on it and says "...service for all European motorcycles...". From the website:

"All BMW K 75, K100 models, All BMW R75/5, R90/6, R100/7, R65, R80RT, R100RS, R80GS, R100GS and all other Airhead models."

http://www.brunos.us/

The owner called Bruno this morning and he can do it for $200. I guess the next step is getting a spring compressor tool.

ok, maybe not enough coffee this morning,
what do yo need a spring compressor for to ge the driveshaft out ?

compressing the shocks ? I never have needed any tools other then sockets and wrenches

Henderson Precision did the u-joint on my /5. Highly recommended; quick, and good communicators. $170US

Here's a good "u-joint rebuild" thread: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=52180

Here's what it looked like when I got it back.

attachment.php

We pulled the swingarm in preparation for sending the driveshaft for rebuild. There is no gasket beween the final drive and swingarm, nor does a gasket show on the parts "fische". I think the earlier two sided swingarm gasket would fit.

Should we do that, or use silicone in the joint? There was some silicone on the bolts, but none I could see on the mating surfaces.

He got the driveshaft back from Henderson(looks great) and we put it in Sunday. Everything went smoothly except putting the boot back on. Took more time/effort than it should. He had removed the clip at work using a press and since that was less than ideal, he made a compression tool out of 1by4 wood and ALL THREAD for the install.

Back