• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pictorial--2002 1150RT Spline lube

The wire behind the starter is for the gear shift indicator which is mounted by the clutch slave cylinder. The other end, the connector needs to be un-routed later. It is what others have claimed to be the most difficult part of this entire job. I have to agree, it was quite difficult.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_008.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_008.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 547
Remove the bolt securing the clutch bleed assembly to the frame.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_014.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_014.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 530
Now you are ready to loosen and remove the appropriate fasteners so that the rear subframe can be raised. You will be doing this on both sides. When this subframe is ready to lift, it will feel like 10-15 lbs. If you can't lift it with one hand, something is binding and you should stop and find the problem. DON"T force it like I did using a strap, I bent the tabs which are the pivot point for the lift. I had to remove the entire rear subframe. Although it made the remainder of this job much easier and that is a choice for you, it will take an additional hour or two.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_015.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_015.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 526
This was the consequence of not feeling the weight of the subframe when pivoting it up using a strap. Don't do this! Note that the wire harness lies under and beside the battery tray. Later when I needed to remove the gear shift indicator plug/wire, which runs under this tray, it is so difficult to remove, just no space available. Because I removed the subframe, I was able to pull the wire harness away from the battery tray area and easily remove the mentioned wire and connector. Note how the subframe restricts the movement of the harness away from the tray.

Attachments

• Spline lube 3rd day_004.jpg
    Spline lube 3rd day_004.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 525
Now that the airbox has been removed, the two 10mm nuts need to be removed above these posts. Also the ground wire wrapped around the left post must be freed up so the transmission can be backed out. Some will raise the battery box and push it up and around the post while backing the Trans. out. I took a 5mm allen key, shortened the shorter end by 1/2 its length and used it to remove the ground bolt and it was completely out of the way and not a big deal. The Battery box needs to rise above the posts so I used a small ratchet/strap secured to the ceiling and held it up and out of the way. Note how the fuel lines are routed in and among everything.

Note: This is important! When removing the airbox, it's pretty straight forward, it will come out as you manipulate it down, no biggie. The fun isn't over yet and keep this in mind! When you reinstall this, it may be a real PIA, it just may not want to go in. What I did was gradually lower the subframe once I got it in place the best I could. There are those 2 tabs on the rear of it that seem to get stuck and I was prying them to squeeze past metal frame. Just lower it a bit at a time and it will pop in nicey-nice. Aside from the gear shift indicator position connector, this to me was the other PIA.

Attachments

• aaa4-1.jpg
    aaa4-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Here is the infamous gear shift indicator connector and wire which have to be re-routed.

Attachments

• Spline lube 4th day_004.jpg
    Spline lube 4th day_004.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 475
See how tight that space is, the connector will not fit when trying to finesse it through, hence the PIA.

Attachments

• Spline lube 4th day_005.jpg
    Spline lube 4th day_005.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 474
Looking at the same wire from behind and below the battery tray.

Attachments

• Spline lube 4th day_006.jpg
    Spline lube 4th day_006.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 566
This is the gear shift indicator cable removed. I have advanced you 20 photos in order to keep this less confusing. I had to remove the entire subframe from the bike because I needed to straighten the bent tabs referred to earlier. This made un-routing the wire much easier. Ideally, you can remove the pins from the connector, I'll dig to find that procedure for you. In some other cases, the connector was simply cut off and re-connected later and it it was not routed this way again. I would suggest you route it differently too when reassembling.

Attachments

• Spline lube 7th day  _004.jpg
    Spline lube 7th day _004.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 567
Removed the ground cable and raised the battery tray just hight enough to clear the posts and screw heads.

Attachments

• Spline lube 7th day  _005.jpg
    Spline lube 7th day _005.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 567
Ready to remove transmission, rear has been raised, rear brake master cylinder are secured and out of the way. The clutch slave cylinder has been removed however now I still need to insert the guide bolts into the mounting bolt holes on the transmission.

Attachments

• Spline lube 7th day  _006.jpg
    Spline lube 7th day _006.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 525
You can either make these or order them from BMW, you want 4 of them.

Attachments

• Spline lube 7th day  _008.jpg
    Spline lube 7th day _008.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 522
This is certainly a fancy workshop with a lot of room. I put plywood on the floor to provide a smooth surface to roll the jack back which supported the transmission etc. and rigged up this mess which served as a winch to allow me to pull the transmission rearward. I was doing this completely alone and this helped.

Attachments

• Spline lube 8th day  _001.jpg
    Spline lube 8th day _001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 522
Again, not fancy but it this setup held the battery tray up just enough to clear those threaded post when pulling the transmission back. I also loosened the 2 10mm bolts securing the forward part of the tray below the motronic unit. That ave me a little more play.

Attachments

• Spline lube 8th day  _002.jpg
    Spline lube 8th day _002.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 521
Finally, the holy grail! Looks pretty good, no damage and still has factory grease in there.

Attachments

• Spline lube 8th day  _004.jpg
    Spline lube 8th day _004.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 523
I'll get these cleaned up and see what things look like.

Attachments

• Spline lube 8th day  _005.jpg
    Spline lube 8th day _005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 523
Spline shaft looks good but there is some sign of clutch hub leaving very minute marks.

Attachments

• Spline lube 9th day  _006.jpg
    Spline lube 9th day _006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 524