• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pictorial--2002 1150RT Spline lube

Olsensan

I've just finished lubing the splines on my 1150RT and I'll post 5 or so pics per day illustrating the same to help anyone out there wanting to pursue this endeavor. I'm assuming that you have already removed the tupperware from the bike and secured the front wheel to your centerstand. Also document the wire runs from every angle if you can because you will want to route everything as it was with the exception of the shift indicator wire and connector. You'll hear more on that below. There are other procedures I used by Awagnon, a member here that provides a great procedural and Grant at ADVRIDER who provides another pictorial on his GS. Powerman also provides a written procedural which I used, all found here:

Awagnon's procedural:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35468239/Spline Lube Procedure v03 26 11.doc

Grants pictorial:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683210&highlight=Grant

Powermans procedural:
http://kueglers.org/Powermans Spline Lube Procedure.pdf

Also, this link may assist you in disassembling the gear shift indicator connector so that it will pass easily through the tight space under the battery tray. This has been referred to as the most difficult and time consuming task of removing the transmission. Go to this link, and refer to page 10.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/wiring_pdfs/deutsch_dtm_connectors.pdf

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_001.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_001.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:
Separating the radio from the tank up forward.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_004.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_004.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 965
Removing the rear radio securing hardware.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_005.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_005.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 959
Don't forget the little nub back here that holds the radio in the box.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_006.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_006.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 958
Removed air filter, battery next, disconnect the Neg lead first.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_013.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_013.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 964
I won't post all the photos I have but you should document the wire and tube runs around the entire bike, you'll need them later!

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_015.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_015.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 964
Brake needs to be disconnected to remove foot peg side panels.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_017.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_017.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 922
O2 sensor connector, attached to silencer or exhaust system

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_022.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_022.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 926
Right side foot peg panel. BMW Ken, another member here sent me a PM suggesting removing the rear brake indicator switch from the panel, that would have been easier than unrouting and removing the tie wraps as I did. Please, others that have done this and have suggestions that make this job easier or streamlined, feel free to add or subtract from this.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_026.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_026.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Follow wires back and cut tie wraps. Make sure you document wire runs etc. I'm not including all that here to keep the downloads to a min.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_028.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_028.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 924
Run the brake switch wire down the gap that the shock adjuster tube runs. It provides enough space to get the connector through and off the bike.

Attachments

• Spline lube 1st day_031.jpg
    Spline lube 1st day_031.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 923
Starting the process of removing the fuel injectors. First disconnect the electrical connector than the injectors themselves. That clip will be turned 90 degrees counter clockwise once pushed back on to keep it from coming off.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_002.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_002.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 550
Cover/close off any openings! Now is the time to order new gaskets for the throttle bodies and injectors.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_003.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_003.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 551
Left side of bike, make sure you document wire routing, you will be scratching your head on reassembly if you don't.

Attachments

• Spline lube 2nd day_006.jpg
    Spline lube 2nd day_006.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 551