Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A small easy good thing to add to the Rally

A small easy good thing to add to the Rally

Last summer a friend of mine was riding to the Bloomsburg rally on his GS and he had a flat tire about 10 miles from Bloomsburg. It was 100+ and he was ATGATT.

He called AAA and they would not help him because a motorcycle was involved. He called me at home and asked if I would get on the phone to try to find some help for him. I found a cell phone number on the MOA website advertised as belonging to someone who was at the Rally and would answer questions via phone. Perfect, I thought, that someone will have some local phone numbers for a motorcycle-friendly local tow company, or maybe that someone is set up with a truck and trailer to go fetch members in distress.

Nope. The pleasant person who answered was unable to help.

So maybe at the next Rally someone could contact a few tow companies ahead of time and maybe be available to provide some basic assistance to members with bike problems? Not much work or responsibility involved, but it could really be a big help to someone with a broken bike.

In the end, a tow truck was found. He towed the bike to the front gate, but no further. My buddy had to ride the last 1/2 mile to the tire vendors, mostly because it was too frigging hot to push it.

BTW he was on the main road into town and was passed by hundreds of BMW riders heading for the rally, and not one bike stopped. A couple of cars did and gave him some water.
    Last edited by 39520; 02-27-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: i cans spell better than a fifth grader

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    Last summer a friend of mine was riding to the Bloomsburg rally on his GS and he had a flat tire about 10 miles from Bloomsburg. It was 100+ and he was ATTGAT.

He called AAA and they would not help him because a motorcycle was involved. He called me at home and asked if I would get on the phone to try to find some help for him. I found a cell phone number on the MOA website advertised as belonging to someone who was at the Rally and would answer questions via phone. Perfect, I thought, that someone will have some local phone numbers for a motorcycle-friendly local tow company, or maybe that someone is set up with a truck and trailer to go fetch members in distress.

Nope. The pleasant person who answered was unable to help.

So maybe at the next Rally someone could contact a few tow companies ahead of time and maybe be available to provide some basic assistance to members with bike problems? Not much work or responsibility involved, but it could really be a big help to someone with a broken bike.

In the end, a tow truck was found. He towed the bike to the front gate, but no further. My buffy had to ride the last 1/2 mile to the tire vendors, mostly because it was to frigging hot to push it.

BTW he was on the main road into town and was passed by hundreds of BMW riders heading for the rally, and not one bike stopped. A couple of cars did and gave him some water.

Generally speaking I have CAA (AAA) Recreational Vehicle coverage for the bike. Never a problem. However, to your more vital query, my immediate thought was for the availability of an on-site trailer service at the rally site for such instances happening within a specific range ie 10 miles or so. That trailer could bring the bike directly to a vendor or other rally based support. Just an idea. Maybe a local towing service makes more sense

Unfortunate that so many passed without observing the situation and lending assistance. Maybe the situation was not easily determined...... although cars stopped. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Generally speaking I have CAA (AAA) Recreational Vehicle coverage for the bike.
    It's not available from southern New England AAA and when I try to access other AAA clubs to see what they offer, I get redirected back to SNE AAA.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    It's not available from southern New England AAA and when I try to access other AAA clubs to see what they offer, I get redirected back to SNE AAA.
    As far as I know CAA is equal nationally but that too may have some regional inequities. Maybe this is another reason to have a rally based resource or local arrangement. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Tom,

Not sure how NE 3A works up there.. With Texas 3A in order to get motorcycle towing you have to choose the Plus RV and not the standard coverage.
    Mack McDonald
    Garland, Tx.
    04 1150 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by m0rbid45 View Post
    Tom,

Not sure how NE 3A works up there.. With Texas 3A in order to get motorcycle towing you have to choose the Plus RV and not the standard coverage.
    that's the same here. Excellent response and service..... but I suggest carrying your own ratchet straps as best you can because not all tow shops are equal or experienced in loading/securing bikes. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    Wow, I find this astounding. Personally I couldn't imagine myself passing a fellow rider in trouble without at least stopping to help. A tire plug and a CyclePump are the least one could do to get him back on the road.

This is a classic opportunity for a vendor to promote themselves at our rally. Most tire vendors come to the rally with a truck and a trailer and this is a great way to create sales and good will.

Fwiw, tell your buddy to join the AMA. In addition to your membership, you also get roadside assistance for your bikes, your cars and your RV if you have one. Pretty good service too.

AAA is another resource, but as noted above, you have to buy the additional recreational vehicle coverage in order for them to tow a bike. AAA probably has the best referral resources available, but they are significantly more expensive than the AMA if all you want to cover is a bike.

sorry this happened to your friend.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m0rbid45 View Post
    With Texas 3A in order to get motorcycle towing you have to choose the Plus RV and not the standard coverage.
    I know about this from other sources, and also know for certain that the package you're referring to does not exist in my local AAA club.

AAA seems to be a loose affiliation rather than a single entity.

Personally, I have AMA towing as well as MedJet Assist. I also have AAA for 4 wheeled purposes.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Some years ago & for several years there was a volunteer committee at the rally that provided assistance to attendees in this situation within a reasonable distance. This took the form of on scene assistance as well as trailering the broken down to the rally where further arrangements could be conveniently made. I was unaware that this had been discontinued.

It would seem likely that there would be at least one towing agency in Bloomsburg that would also be listed in the phone directory, or that the Police agency in the area would have knowledge of. Perhaps the phone answerer did not think of this.

justabump because I think that this should obtain some sort of official protocol for Missouri. Enough time remains to get it arranged and info out. So, what did happen to that previous resource? It really should be very cost effective because not everyone arrives with a 'gold card'. - Bob
    Last edited by tourunigo; 02-27-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Ed Kilner #176066

Breakdown Indicator

I think i will try to find a folding red triangle before my next long trip. With this deployed, i would be very surprised to be passed by other bikers.

A tire pump and plugs too, for sure.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I hate to be talking like a historian here But years ago, let's say late '70s there was a push supported by the MOA to make setting your helmet at the side of the road the signal that you were requesting assistance.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I hate to be talking like a historian here But years ago, let's say late '70s there was a push supported by the MOA to make setting your helmet at the side of the road the signal that you were requesting assistance.
    I believe that the helmet is to be placed on the road, behind the bike, for the above signal.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Both correct

Paul, I think Amiles is saying the same thing. The Helmet far enough back, depending on type road, speed, ect... that a motorcyclist moving either direction can notice the helmet/signal so that other movement near the bike is not confused.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I believe that the helmet is to be placed on the road, behind the bike, for the above signal.
    Two problems with that - given temps, rain, wind or a crappy shoulder surface - no way will my expensive helmet end up sitting on the ground X number of feet behind my bike.

Secondly, non-motorcyclists would be clueless as to that being some sort of alert.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track