• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Roadside assistance warranty?

anchorbend

I'm no lawyer and never played one nor would any reputable law school have admitted me. :p

I was reading my recently received BMW Roadside Assistance brochure. There appears to be some contradiction within the program explanation of benefits. Under Benefits and Guidelines it states:

" If your motorcycle should breakdown while covered under warranty or require towing after an accident or collision, it will be transported to the nearest authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealership. You may also elect to have your motorcycle towed to the BMW Motorrad USA dealership of your choice, provided the dealership is within a 50 mile radius of the closest dealership."

Under the guideline summary:

" Tow motorcycle to the closest dealer. If customer requests , tow motorcycle to the selling/preferred dealer if the preferred dealer if the dealer is within a 50 mile radius of the closest dealer. "

Later under terms and conditions:

" Towing to the nearest BMW Motorrad USA dealer

Towing expenses incurred beyond the 50 mile radius are the customers responsibility at the time of service."

It appears that there is some strange, perhaps contradictory, language in the document.

I interpret the language to mean that BMW will pay to have the bike towed to the nearest BMW dealer. If towed more than 50 miles you pay the difference at the time of service to reimbursed at a later date. Am I reading this correctly?

"I interpret the language to mean that BMW will pay to have the bike towed to the nearest BMW dealer. If towed more than 50 miles you pay the difference at the time of service to reimbursed at a later date. Am I reading this correctly?

They will pay to tow your bike to the nearest BMW dealer. Let's say it's 500 miles to the nearest dealer, but you like a dealer that's another 30 miles beyond the nearest dealer. They will pay for the 530 mile tow.

This is a nice change compared to the $100 limit we had on past BMWs. I'm not sure what year the change happened.

Lee translated it correctly (imo)- 50 miles beyond nearest dealer to a preferred dealer, but you pay anything beyond that "50 over".

My best:)

Best roadside assistance I ever found was a UHaul truck rental! Actually did this a few years back with my KLT1200 broken, UHauled it home:). Cheaper too than BMW plan at the time. Probably do it again, if ever needed. Randy:usa

BMW roadside. What a joke. I called them last year. They said "I was in too rural of an area" for them to pick me up. Funny, I was sitting in a Staples parking lot surrounded by a shopping mall. Basically I was told good luck. I managed to eventually get myself to the dealer.

Best roadside assistance I ever found was a UHaul truck rental! Actually did this a few years back with my KLT1200 broken, UHauled it home:). Cheaper too than BMW plan at the time. Probably do it again, if ever needed. Randy:usa

If you get the box truck you can save on a room also.

that there's whut i'd a done, too

I used BMW Motorrad roadside insurance last year. I was 70 miles to the closest BMW dealer. I called the number on my BMW roadside card. A tow truck came out. It had a bike adapter so that it would mount on the flatbed safely. I was driven with the bike to BMW and signed the document the driver had for me. I tipped the driver and that was it. No problem, no issues....very happy..

Turned out that it was a shorted electrical component. (I forget exactly what it was due to old age...haha..I think it had to to with the fuel pump) The BMW people knew I was travelling through and did not want me to wait for parts delivery 4 days away so they took the part off of a brand new R1200RT. Ordered a new one for the bike they took it off of. I was on my way in 1.5 hours....

Dennis
2009 R1200RT

I used BMW Motorrad roadside insurance last year. I was 70 miles to the closest BMW dealer. I called the number on my BMW roadside card. A tow truck came out. It had a bike adapter so that it would mount on the flatbed safely. I was driven with the bike to BMW and signed the document the driver had for me. I tipped the driver and that was it. No problem, no issues....very happy..

Turned out that it was a shorted electrical component. (I forget exactly what it was due to old age...haha..I think it had to to with the fuel pump) The BMW people knew I was travelling through and did not want me to wait for parts delivery 4 days away so they took the part off of a brand new R1200RT. Ordered a new one for the bike they took it off of. I was on my way in 1.5 hours....

Dennis
2009 R1200RT

Good to hear it.
That's how the system should work.

Back