• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

u-joint inspection

johnkuhn

Bike: 1978 R100S. I've been checking and reassembling a project bike. I noted a slight knock from the drive train while turning the rear tire by hand or rolling the bike around in the garage. It's a much louder knock while under power and riding slowly.
I disassembled the rear drive train up to the tranny. The rear drive and transmission both turn easily and smoothly by hand. The u-joint however seems to have a bit of "notchiness" on one axis. Is this normal or possibly the source of my knock? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

U-joints are not supposed to knock. Sounds like time for a new driveshaft, or you'll need to remove the old one and get it refurb'd.

If there is any sideways or up and down play in the u joint then it is toast. Sounds like you may need a new one.

One thing to check is that there is proper clearance for the driveshaft too work up & down. A lot of times people get so intent on centering the swingarm they forget to allow a bit of room for the U joint to work properly. Check and see that it is not the driveshaft hitting the tube. If it is a clearance issue you may have to adjust the swingarm by moving it a little to the left or right to fix this problem.

Excellent advice. If I adjust the swing arm slightly to the left the knock goes away. The u-joint was rubbing the inside of the swing arm bell opening. Thanks!

I sent an email inquiry to Ted Porter to see if they rebuild twin shock airhead u-joints. (They don't as they rarely need it) Ted advises a slight notch in the middle of the u-joints travel range as normal. That's what I have. There is no axial or rotational play. So I'm going to go with it.

Back