• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HAM radio operators

KJ6OCL

Geoxman
Just wondering how may HAM operators there are out there in the MOA???

What license do you hold and what are your interests in amateur radio?

I just got started with a Technician license in April, 2011. At this time I operate on 2m and 70cm. I am in the mountains and obviously use repeaters for regional traffic. I am looking forward to trying my hand at HF in the next year. Currently I take my HT with me on rides, both to test access locations to the repeaters and to have for emergencies. Most of my riding areas have no cell phone service.

Not sure this thread will go anywhere, but if there are a number of us, it might be interesting.

Last edited:
I thought there was an older thread too, maybe another forum. I could connect the HT to the Autocom, but the repeaters are pretty lifeless around here the past few years.

I still run APRS on the bike, have been using the Microtrak since sometime last year.

http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg

Funny this popped up today Tom-just fixed a Kenwood 950s Digital for a friend of mine. The thread I referenced is the oldest I found. Gary

Phil W2GE.. originally WN2CZA in 1971 or so, then WA2CZA (advanced class) until around 1998 or so, passed my extra class/20 wpm code and received vanity callsign: W2GE. Haven't been active since the last sun cycle so that has been years... DXer mostly. 7 band DXCC, WAZ. 10-10 #5008 (from around 1973)

My antennas have really taken a hit over the years, I have a 8 element log periodic on a 70 foot tower that has had a number of elements break, I know for a fact one from a lightning strike. (I have the element and it is "melted" where it broke off) A 40 meter vertical broke in a storm and a my tower was shunt fed for 160 meters and all the elevated ground wires are down. Still have a long-boom 6 meter 5 element beam in good shape, I should go down and take a listen on Six.

Icom radio fan.

73's de W2GE

I'm the most inactive ham on the board.

In the mid 70's I got my novice ticket as WB9VJA and then upgraded to General.

Have never owned a ham station.

But since I had to do 13 WPM code to get the General, I have never let it lapse.

Currently hold W9BUD. Easy for this OM to remember.

Keep thinking "one day" but it still hasn't come.

Hams and sailing seem to go together.

First licensed in 1961 as WN9CJE.

Currently AA7TA. Done a little bit of everything from 80M up to 70 cm. Haven't been very active the last few years but still have the gear & antennas. Been thru lots of Heathkits, Drake 4B line (probably my favorite rig...wish I still had it), Collins KWM-2, various Kenwoods, Yaesus, etc. but currently have only an Icom 706 and some Yaesu VHF/UHF gear.

It was always my intention to be more active once I retired but it's been three years now and I'm still not on the air much. Not sure why...maybe it just isn't as much fun as it used to be...guess I'm turning into an olde farte (or more of one :) ).

Now you might never figure this out by looking at my screen name...

DE W7LEJ, Spokane Valley, WA. I am a certifiable "old timer" now, my first license was KN5GLC in 1961. I hold an extra class license, but right now I'm about 99.99% inactive - riding, woodworking, walleye fishing, and playing with our granddaughter seem to hold more interest. Oh yeah, then there's still the day job...

73 - Regards, Marty

Amateur Extra here, KB3TXP, love chasing DX. Member of both ARES and RACES, very active in the County's RACES group. Current rigs are Yaesu FT2000D, drives a VL1000 to 1 KW,into a 4 band OCF Dpole up about 40 ft. My VHF is a Kenwood TS -790A for 2, 440 and 23cm. Have DXCC currently at 196, Although I have worked some far away and excotic places the contact I am most proud of is working NA1SS, Col Doug Wheelock when he was 200 miles over my house in the International Space Station.

73's

Good morning all, just noticed this thread when punching the "new posts" button.

Call KA5YSY, wife is KB5ACA, both extra class for a long time. W5YI and ARRL VE's, and actually not active on anything right now due to all kinds of other things going on, not to mention the dreaded antenna restricted neighborhood, although I have a fix for that with a hidden horizontal loop that can be configured as a full size rhombic for most frequencies I use on HF.

Did a lot of satellite activity at the old QTH and also was an active RTTY contester and MARS member. I started in high school with a Hallicrafters S-120 then got licensed and used a variety of gear. The most recent ham activity was doing 2 meter communications for the LSU medic stations at home games, but that has gone away due to the lack of care about the volunteers at the games.

Internet kind of clobbered the whole ham radio game. Even dropping the CW requirements did nothing to build the participation rates.

First licensed in 1958 as WV2GDP, then WA2GDP, after a long absence WA1FBQ, N1BAX and finally NA1G.

Not too active right now but have just been running QSOs in the 10-Meter Contest (the band is open!)

Rig is a TenTec Corsair (1985 vintage) and a Carolina Windom antenna. And a Kenwood 2-M handheld.

WAS, WAC, DXCC-CW 175 awards.

It's interesting to see how many of us are both amateur radio operators and BMW owners. Wondering what the common bond is...?

pete
R1200RT

Obvious my Call: KJ6OCL (Technical). Got my ticket in April 2011, work mostly 2 meter with some 70 cm. I became interested when I was in high school in NJ. The CW requirement kept me from moving forward, as I can't memorize for love nor money. Have been a Rotarian for over 25 years, and when I moved to northern CA, my new Rotary club was looking for a fundraising event that would bring in funds from outside our county (Trinity County). I ended up organizing a Century bicycle event (this summer will be the 6th annual). While organizing the first event, I realized that we needed reliable communications throughout the four routes. Our county is mostly (78%) public lands, USFS and BLM, and all mountains. We have one cell phone provider, and less than ten percent of our bike routes have cell service. I found a local HAM Club (Trinity County Amateur Radio Club) that took on the project and has provided communications for all of our events. So I got interested again, got my ticket and I am now trying to carve out enough time to get my General. TCARC has three repeaters, one mobile and two on mountain tops. However their equipment is all over 20 years old and becoming unreliable. I worked with my Rotary Club last year and we have to put to a grant through Rotary to supply funding to replace and upgrade all the equipment on the two mountain tops. The work has already started. During all this, I got very interested in ARES, and participate regularly in ARES net. I might not have the same interest if I lived in an urban area. 73s

Back