• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

99 R1100GS Drive Shaft Interchangeability

zorba75482

I have a 99 R1100GS (72,000mls) and just did a full spline lube and noticed the UJ at the final drive end is shot (notchy) so am in the market for a used one.

The general consensus seem to be that 1100RT drive shafts are the same but after ordering a UJ from an RT I can see they are different as per the pic. Mine is the bottom one with the splines cut all the way to the end of the shaft.

I am talking to another gentleman who also has an RT drive shaft and compared it to my UJ and he agrees his is not the same as mine either.

I checked with Bob's BMW and they said the 1100RT should be the same. All the microfiche agree.

REALOEM.com also syas the 1100RT should fit.

It did not appear that my GS had been apart before so I am very confused as to which used driveshaft to pursue.

I have a guy who has a 2004 1100S shaft and he says the UJ looks exactly the same as my UJ but I don't particularly want to buy a whole drive shaft just for the UJ but am happy to buy it if the whole shaft works.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Attachments

• drive shaft.jpg
    drive shaft.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 140
I don't particularly want to buy a whole drive shaft just for the UJ but am happy to buy it if the whole shaft works.

Are you considering replacing only part of the driveshaft?
There are 2 UJs and if one is notchy, the other one will be notchy pretty soon.
I say replace the whole thing. I've not had this problem yet though so get a second opinion.

Last edited:
I thought about changing just the UJ but I can't easily find one so will bite the bullet and send it up to Bruno's for a rebuild with grease fittings.

On my 94 RS I replaced the driveshaft AND the rear drive hub u-joint/spline with a shaft/u-joint from a newer 1150. The splines at the rear drive hub are longer and bigger. Its been in there now for five seasons and probably close to 60,000 miles with no issues at all.

While helping a friend repair a failed drive shaft on his '96 R1100RT, we have run into a weird problem: Apparently someone had previously switched out the drive shaft with one from some other model. He purchased another "used" drive shaft but when we went to install it, the splines on the final drive UJ/ are different. The replacement shaft has 16 splines (which according to Anton Largardier and others is correct) while the final drive U joint and short shaft (that slide into the drive shaft) has 21 splines. Unfortunately, most sellers on flea bay and elsewhere only sell the shaft and the attached UJ and not the final drive end. I'm really puzzled as to where this shaft came from (maybe a K-bike?) If anyone has a used complete drive shaft assembly or the final drive UJ or any suggestions where I might find one your help will be appreciated!

Back