• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping/Riding advice in Colorado

brprider679

I will be attending the RA rally in June and will be in the area for the next week for an extended ride. Can anyone recommend good centrally located campgrounds/locations to base a week long ride from? I can move around but would like to be able to stay multiple nights in the same location so as not to pack up camp every night.
I want to concentrate on the North, South, and Western areas of Colorado (or as much as I can get in 7 days of riding.

I've got the book and have read it and marked off some rides in each area. Not sure if I have time to make them all. I'll ride everyday as much as possible.

I've got the book and have read it and marked off some rides in each area. Not sure if I have time to make them all. I'll ride everyday as much as possible.

The Butler motorcycle maps are the nicest I've seen and I'm a map junkie.

Colorado ridin'

As Tom mentions, a copy of Steve Farson's book is essential!

I live in, and am more familiar with Southern Colorado, so would offer these suggestions, all of which will provide great riding territory!!

Central locations to consider, south of I-70 only: My choice would be Salida on the east of the Continental Divide, or Durango on the west side. These cities are at the intersections of some of the major north-south, and east-west highways (exclusive of interstates) in southern Colorado. From these two locations, you can hit a lot of great riding territory all across Southern Colorado, and even into Northern New Mexico.

PM if you want more ideas from the southern part of the Centennial State!!!:usa

The Glenwood Springs area might be a nice place to base your self-LOL trying to find a favorite place in CO,mine seems to change every time I go, after a lifetime of trying. With 7 days, my suggestion centers around bikes & hiking, which is the only way to really see the mtns. It is an absolute fact that CO is far better viewed from in the woods, rather than beside the woods. You just cannot see wild places from the side of the road. The proverbial pic of a bike beside a roadside sign is nice but not where the waterfalls & critters all live... Take a day to walk some. A camp in some areas in a national Pk will get you a campground that has police/nice neighbors monitoring things as opposed to a nat forest camp in a more remote area where leaving your stuff will be more risky. Then there's the Anonymous camping list.

Don't forget I 70 to the east from Glenwood Springs. Nicest freeway/interstate in all the usa, except possibly for one in Hawaiier.
Also old 40 west from Denver, and the important cities. Oh, I suppose also Rocky Mtn Park. The cities: Durango, Ouray, Telluride, Gunnison (look north, or south) Steamboat Springs, Silverton, ...
Mt Evans.
Eisenhower Tunnel.
The passes. Cottonwood, etc.
dc

You go to the cities in CO to take a shower @ the laundromat & eat a good sit down meal with a brewski, not for any other good reason, unless you live/work there,of course!:laugh

How about to see the scenery on the way to and from those cities which are in some of the most scenic locations. And they do have a lot of nice old buildings there, too.
dc

Buena Vista for basecamp?

I live in Buena Vista Colorado and was wondering what dates you where looking at in June. We have plenty of camping space on our property and a bathroom available.

Back