• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Europe

Beach's Motorcycle Adventures also arranges rentals in Munich, all new bikes and low mileage, at competitive rates. http://www.beachs-mca.com/rental/gerpric.htm

As GR said, breakfast is breads, rolls, cold meats, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, sweet breads, cereals, granola, yogurt, fruits in a buffet style setting. Many places do eggs to order too. Quite filling, if I eat lunch, usually some soup and bread does it, them feast at night on wonderful Bavarian food!

Get maps of areas you plan to ride in, in advance. I have a listing of which ones to look out for on my link below. A GPS cannot show you where the really good roads are.

GlobalRider, your advice and links are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million. I have a lot to read and comprehend. Your examples are very encouraging and it looks more and more like the week riding the Alps will be affordable.

Now the big issue is time. I figured that I would take a three week trip with my wife and daughter and selfishly claim a third of it for solo riding. Today my boss said that three weeks is too long and I should limit my vacation to two weeks. Hope my wife will be okay being alone for half the trip. Bummer, that third week is when the relaxation really kicks in.

We will see next spring when we decide on dates.

Today my boss said that three weeks is too long and I should limit my vacation to two weeks.

He ought to take some cues from overseas where they get 5+ weeks of vacation a year (plus another 1+ weeks of religious holidays) and that is from year one, not after 20 years of service.

Two weeks...that is the pits!

He ought to take some cues from overseas where they get 5+ weeks of vacation a year (plus another 1+ weeks of religious holidays) and that is from year one, not after 20 years of service.

Two weeks...that is the pits!

Most of the rest of the industrialized world can't believe how little time off we get here in the US, in many countries 4 weeks is mandated by law, and their economies are better than ours. When you treat people like machines, they break, just like machines and require more maintenance.

Most of the rest of the industrialized world can't believe how little time off we get here in the US, in many countries 4 weeks is mandated by law, and their economies are better than ours. When you treat people like machines, they break, just like machines and require more maintenance.
Not to go capitalistic/political but I disagree on the "economies better than ours" part for many EU countries that have liberal labor policies.In your 2nd sentence you make my point,i.e., about people needing R&R!
As a former blue collar guy I want to agree with the idea, as my paycheck numbers got much larger by sweat & many hours worked , not based on my skill(which I had) ,thus when I left industry for education I still found myself on the "wrong side of the tracks". While the college campus fosters enlightenment via sabbaticals & world travel called "studies abroad", my technical version of higher education was handing out the 2 week styles of R&R. Even now despite tenure & cushyness found in academia the trend in tech Ed is contract teachers with few benefits offered. I can attest that when you leave that senority/union based benefit system behind you take nothing with you except whats in your head.
Thinking back: I had a difficult time getting off for a couple of days to get married back then in my industrial days, it was called unscheduled leave & took much begging-I told the last guy-either I'm calling in sick or you can plan for it. Funerals were ok but not weddings-you were supposed to get married on your vacation they told me.:nono:bow:D
Now, back to traveling in EU! :)

I disagree on the "economies better than ours".

I could not believe it either when my co-worker told me that Germany's exports were on par with the US and China. And look how tiny Germany is, area and population wise. I then looked it up. Sure enough, they are the top three and all within a few points of each other.

Now, back to traveling in EU! :)

You bet, and I am counting with days till I go but won't be as far as how long I can stay. I decided to be money poor and time rich. I gave up a good salary and 5 weeks of vacation a year. I took early retirement.

Check out alpineroads.com. A lot of good information... This was the primary site I used for planning/execution during a 13 day trip in '10.

Hate to continue the high-jack but......it is due to good ol' American greed. Just a note;....when I started working [years ago] many employers required 2-3 years employment before you received any vacation. and then a few years of only one week.

Hate to continue the high-jack but......it is due to good ol' American greed. Just a note;....when I started working [years ago] many employers required 2-3 years employment before you received any vacation. and then a few years of only one week.

...then don't.

Back