• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MPG's and BMW?

I've checked mpg's on my R1100RS several times, and most recently 2-up & (over) loaded, still returned a healthy 52mpg at highway speeds (close to speed limit). Not sure the difference between RS & RT, gear ratio maybe, but the lowest mpg is in the mid 40's, and that is with short hops/ errands/ city driving.

It's not bad MPG

I've only had my R1200RT for ten tanks of gas but they average to 47 MPG. Mostly that's commuting to work. The one tank that was mostly highway miles was 51 MPG. I'm satisfied with those numbers. Forty-seven MPG commuting is better than the 29 MPG that my Ford Focus gets under the same conditions. (The Ford gets 39-40 highway).

It will be interesting to see what the RT will get when I can putt along a calm back road for a tankful.

I've only had my R1200RT for ten tanks of gas but they average to 47 MPG. Mostly that's commuting to work. The one tank that was mostly highway miles was 51 MPG. I'm satisfied with those numbers. Forty-seven MPG commuting is better than the 29 MPG that my Ford Focus gets under the same conditions. (The Ford gets 39-40 highway).

It will be interesting to see what the RT will get when I can putt along a calm back road for a tankful.

Most of my miles since I bought my RT last June have been in town driving, at about 48mpg, dropping through the winter months to about 44. I spent yesterday riding some VERY twisty back roads (the kind where you see your own taillight as you look around the corner) in southeast Ohio, mostly third and fourth gear, only occasionally getting into fifth. Bike computer reported 55.3 average mph on the first 200 miles, higher than I expected since I had several stops to check my map. MPG on that stretch was 54.8. It dropped to 52mpg on the 70 mph freeway cruise home. Better mileage at lower speed does not surprise me, but better mileage with higher revs, frequent accelerating and braking is confusing.

Just home from TEXAS trip;

CAL to Texas and back and my best was 37, low 33mpg's running 75-80mph most of the time @ 4500rpm's on the GSA1200. Almost entirely Interstate riding. Wind was a factor, most days too:(. My GSA really improves with lower average speeds on the computer, maybe into the low 40-42mpg's. My best ever with this bike got to 46mpg's running quite slow in National Parks. IF your not running 80mph in W. Texas, your walking! Its the speed limit there and still feels like you're creeping in that vast area. Randy:thumb

There is a dealer in the NL that makes Performance Diesel motorcycles that get 90MPG. Maybe BMW can buy them and sell it. They only have one dealer in North America. But, technology exists for high performance high MPG motorcycles. And, it is not really expensive. The advantage of diesel is high torque in all the gears.

http://www.dieselmotorfiets.nl/informatie/

English Dealer site: http://www.trackdiesel.ca

Track T-800CDI Diesel Motorcycles are manufactured in The Netherlands by EVA Products. Using quality components, commonrail diesel technology and CVT (continuous variable transmission) the end result is a motorcycle that is easy to ride, with high torque and low fuel consumption.

The motor is private development supplied by Daimler AG.

Brand : Track
Model : T-800CDI 1E Black Edition
Type : Diesel Motorcycle Allroad / Adventure
Production : available 2012

Delivery: At this time motorcycle production is by special order. Basic Black Edition model available for sales.

Specifications:

Displacement: 800cc
Max Power: 33kW / 50hp @ 3000-4500rpm
Max torque: 100 Nm @ 1800-4500rpm

3 Cylinder In Line
2 Valves per cylinder
Compression pressure of fuel: V-Power Diesel 1:18
Turbo Pressure: 1.25 bar

Alternator: 600W 25Amp
Battery: 12 V/17 Ah
Starter Motor: 1.5kW

Electronic Management
ECU by CANbus

Clutch: Centrifugal
Transmission: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
Final Drive: Shaft
End Ratio: 1.58

Frame material: Tube Frame Chromium Molybdenum

Front Suspension: WP "upsidedown" 48mm forks

Rear suspension: WP + preload adjuster.

Suspension travel front and rear: 210/210mm
Wheelbase: 1615mm
Rake degree: 63.4 / 26.6

Brakes
Front: Dual 310 mm disc
Rear: Single 265 mm disc

Rim size
Front: 1.85 x 21"
Rear: 4.25 x 17"

Overall length: 2450mm
Width with mirrors: 900mm
Seat height: 830/880mm (adjustable)
Dry weight: 225kg
Max total weight: 425kg
Diesel tank: 19 litre

Diesel Fuel Consumption
1 liter to 21 km in the desert 1 litre to 32km on road.

Top speed: 165 km/h (torque over horsepower)

2 years warranty against manufacturing defects. No wearing parts (Tires, Brakes, CVT Belt, etc)

Service interval: 15,000 km after break in.

Last edited:
Wonder where BMW MC program came OFF the track? About a dozen cars/suvs now get better gas mileage than my Beemer cycle, which I still love:). BUT, Even the BMW X5 Turbo Diesel gets 35mpg's, I have a friend bought one and drove it cross country. 35mpg average! My current GSA1200 is at 36-38mpg's. How poor:(. Of course many smaller and even the giant KLT get a lot better, but com'on BMW, step up and make something happen again!!! That X5 sled gets almost identical as my GSA????? Bad picture in my book. Many are talking now, even VW's are on top of the world regarding this. I WANT BMWMC to step UP to the plate and make a FULL SIZE bike with the same spunk as the VWs and BMW SUVs,etc...My GSA1200 should be at least ahead of the above heavy vehicles! The smaller 650-800BMWMCs do get a lot better, but why not a 1200, if the cages are doing it???Randy

I was wondering about this too. My GS 1200 get meh' gas mileage. Not great. There are a lot of factors that can improve it but 55 mph on the highway is a bit dull and long. There is also the issue that I ride a giraffe with refrigerator boxes on each side.

I make it up for by driving one of those Audi TDI thingies that gets 45 mpg.

NICE, Diesel M/Cs:)

Well. I won't deny my smiles riding my GSA1200 all over Gods creation, but? I know the tech/engineer guru's are sleeping at the switch, regarding our poorly thought out mpg's factor! MOREHP has been paramount for too many years and YEP, its really cool to have HP. That HP war started with the Japanese a lot of years back and still remains. Its time for another turn in technology! I am NOT a "green", kill all the oil burning monsters out there, just some really good mpg's with performance still in the mix, ALL I ASK:). Lets keep our gas and/or diesel fun times and just get our moneys worth with todays ever increasing costs of doing so. Those TDI Diesels are amazingly neat from Germany and VERY popular over there, outselling gas engines a ton. Clean too! We have diesels at my work now, that leave NO residue at all in the tailpipes:), just like gasoline engines...Only issue here in the good ol USA is no refining of the gold taking place and diesel is even more cost than gas:(. How ugly is that? Kaws KLR650 Diesel for the Marines came about a lot of years ago and somebody lost interest. Its coming back:). Randy:usa:thumb:dance

I have a good friend that has an obsession with his gas mileage.

He always asks me what I get for mpg.

I tell him I have no idea, when I go on 2nd reserve I fill up!

I know that I get around 200 miles to a tank depending on several factors.

2 up or solo

towing my Bushtec Trailer

high speed

high winds

state of tune of my 1977 R100RS 502,000 miles so far

It's my hobby & I enjoy it reguardless of mpg!

It seems like 40 years ago, when I still lived in Germany, a wise man told me once that most lies are being told when people talk about their income and fuel mileage of their vehicles...
I make $1 million a year and all my bikes get at least 60 mpg!:dance

My bike gets around 50 mpg... sometimes better depending on riding habits and wind. My car gets 28 mpg. $10-11 for a fill up sure looks better than $55 or so. Yeah, not only do I ride my bike because I enjoy it... I also ride because I get better fuel economy than my car....

just spent $140 filling up my cummins diesel truck ... folks are now finally connecting fuel prices with crashing of the world's economy

My CR-Z gets 35-37 mpg using 87 RON, and the R1200S gets 45-55 using 91 RON. 4 gallons x $4.65 or 9 gallons x $3.85, but that 9 gallons (it holds 10.2) gets me 350-400 miles, and the 4 gets me around 200. So we are just about even.

BTW, I got the CR-Z 6-speed after the wife got her Altima Hybrid. She gets 32-34 mpg but has 600 mile range (18.5 gallons). But I have two hybrids cut our gas bill in less then half. She fills her car once a month, I fill the CR-Z twice a month.

My 04 R1150RTP gets mid 50's some tanks, low 40's others. Physics can't be denied. I simply do not get the same mileage on 80mph commutes as I do on 50-55 mph commutes using backroads.

My F350:)

Had it 12 years now, a FINE truck but? I would not sell it as yet, for my feeding and large critters require a BIG truck F350 Dually:). It still sits with almost full tank from my fillup weeks ago, so I try hard to not use it. Love my GSA1200, ya'll out to see it with hay bale on the rear rack! :). Randy

Yeah!

Friend of mine has same X5 Diesel gets 35 highway, crossing the USA:(. Makes me sick to think it approaches my GSA, even bettering my GSA at times. How ugly is that! Point made. Ya'll starting to see my original point? So much mpg tech going into SUVs and Cars, NOT bikes. Give me that TDI in my Beemer bike:). Randy:usa:dance

Honda's trying but will it sell?

Honda decided it was time to design a bike for fuel efficiency instead of performance. Check out the NC700X. Some weird stuff in that design like uneven intake tracts and different cam timing in a parallel twin.

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

The Brits got them first and report 65 MPG (American) and more while commuting. The magazines are confused by the low rev limit and the need to short-shift.

So will riders trade 40 MPG and high performance for 65 MPG and sedate acceleration? We shall see...

Back