Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MPG's and BMW?

Premium is not Premium for BMW m/c's here. We have 91 RON max, the bike wants 93 RON which I have had in TX. There I get 52-60 mpg, here, that's quite less, some 8-10.

When I get 1/2 tank of racing fuel (106) plus the 91, the bike runs better, and the mpg is better. But 91 is approaching or over $4 here, 106 is about $8.

D*mn speculators!
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

if gas was $5.00/gal

it would cost $5000.00 to drive 50,000 miles at 50 mpg (or maybe on averrage five years of driving)

at 40 mpg it would cost about a grand more or $200/ year..

just sayin'.
    Last edited by f14rio; 02-26-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

But for most of us, this is an interesting physics problem, not an issue of operating cost. The fact that bigger motorcycles get relatively poor gas mileage is well known - a friend of mine with an RC 51 gets about 30 m.p.g. (Imp.).
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    But for most of us, this is an interesting physics problem, not an issue of operating cost. The fact that higher performance motorcycles get relatively poor gas mileage is well known - a friend of mine with an RC 51 gets about 30 m.p.g. (Imp.).
    fify.
    H-Ds get awesome mileage. big engine (upwards of 1400cc), but relatively low speeds, mediocre performance & low hp out of the big mill translate into better mpg.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

took my '09 soft tail out to dayton ohio from long island last year

got 42 mpg.
    i don't usually go much over 70 mph. i was quite comfortable.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Mine will do 45+ mpg @ 90 mph. At 70, I can do 50+

But much of our highway has a 75 mph speed limit. If I use any, 85-90 is the norm.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

There is a lot of science in all this. Modern cars are developed specifically to get good gas mileage. They have transmissions that allow the engine to operate in the ideal efficiency zone of 2200 rpm, variable valve timing, direct fuel injection, turbochargers, and better aerodynamics. If motorcycles used similar technology they would be getting almost double the fuel mileage, just like today's cars compared to those 15 years ago. Motorcycles are still designed for performance not mileage. From what I read, Honda is preparing to break through with some bikes specifically designed for fuel economy in the "near" future with a full touring bike getting 70 mpg.

BMW already beats every other manufacturer on fuel economy with a comparable bike.

I normally get 50+ on trips, 2-up with luggage and wide range of speeds, mountains to freeway. Cold weather short trips to the store, high 40s. I would assume that if my bike had the new styles of tuperware, it would do much better, as my windshield must act much like a sail.

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

H-Ds get awesome mileage...bikerfish
    I rented a 96 inch LowRider for a trip into the Kootenays a few years ago. I didn't have a chance to check the mileage, but I noticed it could comfortably run as low as 2,000 rpm in sixth, where owners are probably getting those good fuel numbers.

Do I look like I have the attitude?

Last edited by Rinty; 02-28-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: replaced photo with an edited one
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

It's sad that my Prius gets better mileage than my '03 RT.

I always used to ride the bike to save gas, but now it's the reverse.

One problem is engine braking on bikes is fairly strong. The Prius is made to coast and captures energy while coasting or braking.

To BMW's credit, the newer RT's get better mpg's than the older ones while giving more HP.

Why won't BMW make a diesel touring bike?

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post

Do I look like I have the attitude?

do you have "the attitude"? clearly not.

you know where the front brake is, and apparently you know how to use it as well.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Good catch Bikerfish!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    It's sad that my Prius gets better mileage than my '03 RT.

I always used to ride the bike to save gas, but now it's the reverse.

One problem is engine braking on bikes is fairly strong. The Prius is made to coast and captures energy while coasting or braking.

To BMW's credit, the newer RT's get better mpg's than the older ones while giving more HP.

Why won't BMW make a diesel touring bike?

Harry
    The technology on the Prius is pretty impressive.........regenerative systems, a low drag coefficient (Cd) of ~0.25 (recent BMW 3-series Cd ~ 0.33) and an interior space larger than my 1989 525i. It covers miles quietly around town and on the highway.

Do I have a "desire" to drive it? Probably not. However, for most of my "required" driving, that doesn't require the truck, it's the vehicle of choice (when my wife lets me drive her car).
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

"Come on, motorcycling is just a fun hobby" - that's baloney for some of us. My Beemers have always served the purpose of basic transportation and urban commuting. When the weekend comes, it gets parked, as I've had enough of riding all week. They've never been a toy to me - they've been a useful tool. I get 48 average in winter, and 50 in the summer.
    Virginia Beach
    current:14 R1200RT 75 R60/6
    past: 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Nickname: Droid
    My BMWs both get in the 40s to 50s, good enough for me. In the past, I had a 23 mile rural commute to work and I rode my bike as much as possible, even on very many lousy weather days. Sure it saved me gas, but it simply felt good to ride.

Now, if the US bike market were good enough to support high mileage/lower power motorcycles, we'd have a wide variety of bikes getting 60 mpg and much higher even. Heck, a F800 BMW easily gets over 60mpg and it has great performance. If it were tuned for fuel economy I bet it would exceed 70 mpg.

But,....fuel efficient motorcycles don't sell in this country of cheap gas and wide expanses. Don't blame BMW for simply building what the majority of the market wants, recreational power!