• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not So Quiet Area?

Unregistered said:
I find it sad that anyone would advocate such a point.

Hopefully you don't bring this attitude with you if elected to the board. I know that you helped decide how I'm voting!

Interesting that you are gonna vote yet you are unregistered. Does that mean you chose not to log on so as to remain anonymous? Or are you not a voting member just trolling this site? Yet another reason to block all unregistered users from posting.

Unregistered said:
I find it sad that anyone would advocate such a point.

...."camping for nighttime debauchery and no sleeping"......

Hopefully you don't bring this attitude with you if elected to the board. I know that you helped decide how I'm voting!

Why bother bringing a tent or camping gear with you at all? That way you could travel quite a bit lighter!
I bet those that advocate the postion that camping means making all kinds of noise and making a fool out of themselves are the absolute first one(s) to complain if disturbed while sleeping....camping or otherwise.
Then again, bringing pets to a motorcycle rally is beyond me too!

Since I'm already banned from offending the tender sensibilities of a so-called "administrator" of the Oilhead forum (is that an oxymoron or what!!!???) I thought I would throw my helmet in the ring of this fracas. What can they do...double ban me? Is that like a double secret probation? Double dare? Anyway, Mr. Unregistered, I do so enjoy those who choose anonymity when criticizing others. Are you certain that your real name isn't "fish?"...oh nevermind. As regards you comments addressed to Mr. Brad Benn, Candidate for the BMW MOA Board, I say this...wake up and smell the java!!!!
Rallies are for having some fun versus standing around opining upon the cost benefit ratio of the new R1200RT.
Debauchery can be a good thing!! Ever tried it? Once? It worked wonders for the Huns, just ask the Romans. Yes, let's just complete the pillage then retire to our campsite and sit around drinking and singing some Octoberfest songs with a little George Thorogood thrown in for good measure. In case you failed to notice, there will be a "loud" area along with a quiet area. There is a cemetery up the road, it's really nice and calm there. So, choose the quiet area in that way you will never be sullied by the boorish antics of the guys and women (yes, there will be women!!!) who prefer to socialize into the night with likeminded denizens of the dark side. I hope that Sue brings that two-stroke mixer. I'll supply the Jose Cuervo.
As regards your vote Mr. Yet to be Identified, I would hope that you have more judgement than to vote on the basis of one obviously humorous remark. Frankly, I'm looking forward to having people on the Board who aren't so concerned with their carefully crafted, politically safe and slightly over blown image of wisdom and temperence. I value integrity, loyalty, helpfulness and humor. I respect those who are driven by these values and not by personal agendas. I sense these values in Brad Benn. Perhaps you haven't been reading these Forum posts long enough. In the brief time that I have been a member of the BMW MOA I have participated avidly in reading and responding and have found Mr. Benn to be honest, pragmatic, helpful and humorous in a self effacing manner that is refreshing. He distinguishes himself from those in this forum who take themselves and their exalted opinions just a bit too seriously for my tastes. I voted for him, I'd do it again in a heart beat.
As regards your remarks on traveling light. I do enjoy loading up the RT with as much as I can carry even if i don't use it. It just looks so cool and people think that I'm headed for the Hindu Kush rather than Lima OH. Ever considered camping in the motel room? I think Hunter Thompson did this a few times(god rest his soul).
Your comments on noise are worthy of examination. You may not know that the noise level at a Rally campsite is the proof of a rather complex multivariate equation consisting of three primary variables. These are P, S and F. P represents the number of people present, S the amount of Social Lubricant ingested and finally the elusive "F" factor heretofore known only to social scientists as "Fun". What is not in the equation is the dreaded negative beta weight identified as the "W" factor. Those with too much "W" do not enjoy the debauch, loud singing and all around fooloishness of the campsite. They are possessed of the (W)hine factor. Revelers do not possess such a factor. They believe in the BMW Social Contract that states that if someone stays up all night filling their tank then they have no cause to complain about the 6am airheads who have to fire up their machines every 8 hours whether they need it or not. Just curious, do you sir own an airhead?
Finally, the pet issue. Whereas you cannot understand why anyone would bring pets to Rallies, I can say that I on the other hand have been trying to talk some "pets" into coming with me to the rally to no avail. I guess I'll be relegated to borrowing someone else's pet for a spirited game of ultimate frisbee.
I hope that I haven't offended you whith these remarks. As you can tell, I'm not running for any offices at BMW MOA. I'll be lucky if I can get reinstated under my old name. In any regard, I think that you'll find some people at the rally to your liking. If you're in the beer garden, I'll be hanging with the guy with the funny ears on the outside of his helmet.
Adios

what's with the unregistered (unwashed?) posting all of the sudden?

username said:
what's with the unregistered (unwashed?) posting all of the sudden?

Someone figured out that the Rally Forum is open to all. So anyone can post anonymously. That's both non-members and members who's identitiy they wish to remain hidden. It's an obvious flaw in the system but one that was created to allow non-members to converse prior to the rally.

oh my, this is going to be fun. it's like being 13 and finding a can of gasoline and some matches all over again! :D

Unregistered said:
Then again, bringing pets to a motorcycle rally is beyond me too!

i'll bet this is a *really* long list of items!

... or better yet, the economy sized can of WD-40 and a butane cigar torch.

When I was a kid we found that carb cleaner worked better. So did this one Teflon spray tht Dad had. :D :D :D

I'm advocating night time debauchery at the hotel, and leave the campers alone!

Gail
ps
What's with all the unregistered postings??

SheRidesABeemer said:
I'm advocating night time debauchery at the hotel, and leave the campers alone!

Gail
ps
What's with all the unregistered postings??

So which hotel are you staying at? Party at Gail's room
:drink :drink :drink

Me too!

I had to promise Mrs. Cubana that we would stay at a hotel for our initial foray into the rally scene (I still haven't told her we are camping at Loraz' for the Stoltace...Shhhh)....we could use that as a not too quie area.

Only one problem...in my lack of memory, I can't remember which hotel I made reservations at! I received a confirmation, but it didn't give a number or the hotel name! Now I have to take a list and call to see if I'm registered! :doh

Argh

Me Too

Joecubana said:
Only one problem...in my lack of memory, I can't remember which hotel I made reservations at! I received a confirmation, but it didn't give a number or the hotel name! Now I have to take a list and call to see if I'm registered! :doh

Argh

I hear you Joe. Fortunately the Mrs. takes care of that business for us. Otherwise I would be scrambling the day before to figure out where I am supposed to be. :)

i think i'll be tenting* in the "what's sleep??" area

* in all honesty i'm just gonna bring a tarp and build a shelter out of that and my bike

Loud Camping

So, my friends --- what REALLY IS loud camping?

Is it (as is commonly accepted) the area for people who play late into the night and try to sleep a little later in the morning?

Or is it rather, the camping area for those rally-goers who get up early? The ones who sit at the picnic table outside our tents, and chatter merrily at 6 AM?

That's my philosophical conundrum for the day. :brow

Have a great weekend!

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
So, my friends --- what REALLY IS loud camping?
Loud is where the couples share their carnal knowledge and everyone the next day stares.

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
Is it (as is commonly accepted) the area for people who play late into the night and try to sleep a little later in the morning?

Or is it rather, the camping area for those rally-goers who get up early? The ones who sit at the picnic table outside our tents, and chatter merrily at 6 AM?
The quiet area is where some warm up their airheads for half an hour then weave between the tents. It's only quiet at midnight.

Back