• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not So Quiet Area?

D'Lilah said:
Well, glad to hear we're not the only ones. :dog Although, I can't say mine are lap dogs. They are labs, but they are very well behaved. We travel with them all the time, and they love it!!! They can tell by our eye out for you guys in Lima!

You are going to a motorcycle rally with Labrador Retrievers? Emphasis on plural! As in more than one? How many dogs are you bringing to the rally?
Of course they're well behaved because dog owners are deaf to their barking, think their dog's poop smells like lilacs and squishing between the toes of bare feet is so cute and if the dogs bite, snarl, lunge or otherwise intimidate people that may stroll too closely to where they are chained up it is because "You must have provoked him because he has never done that before." When anyone acquires a dog their IQ drops at least ten points immediately. Do you trailer your dogs, use sidecars? Why don't you go to a dog show if you like dogs so much. Doesn't it damage a dog's ears when you see them flopping in the 75 mile per hour wind while in a sidecar or sticking their head out the window of a car? :dunno
There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners.

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
So, my friends --- what REALLY IS loud camping?

Is it (as is commonly accepted) the area for people who play late into the night and try to sleep a little later in the morning?

Or is it rather, the camping area for those rally-goers who get up early? The ones who sit at the picnic table outside our tents, and chatter merrily at 6 AM?

That's my philosophical conundrum for the day. :brow

Have a great weekend!
Speaking philosophically, both examples fit into loud camping. If you're gonna make noise, you should be willing to take noise. Your question implies there are no guidelines for quiet camping and I'm a little suprised that, after 30+ Nationals. My campground owners' association specifies quiet hours from 11PM to 7AM.

If your examples reflect reality, maybe the locations should be renamed "party hearty" and "early riser". Oh, no - another map change!

Since this will be my first National in 25 years, I guess I'm in for an education. My thanks to Brad for recommending earplugs as something special to pack for the National!

Fritz said:
You are going to a motorcycle rally with Labrador Retrievers? Emphasis on plural! As in more than one? How many dogs are you bringing to the rally?
Of course they're well behaved because dog owners are deaf to their barking, think their dog's poop smells like lilacs and squishing between the toes of bare feet is so cute and if the dogs bite, snarl, lunge or otherwise intimidate people that may stroll too closely to where they are chained up it is because "You must have provoked him because he has never done that before." When anyone acquires a dog their IQ drops at least ten points immediately. Do you trailer your dogs, use sidecars? Why don't you go to a dog show if you like dogs so much. Doesn't it damage a dog's ears when you see them flopping in the 75 mile per hour wind while in a sidecar or sticking their head out the window of a car? :dunno

You call this a rant? :dunno It's not even worthy of having an Airhead SBD logo posted near it. You're going to have to better than this.

Fritz said:

Bad hair day, Fritz?

:ha

Mo dawgs!

wuli959 said:
You call this a rant? :dunno It's not even worthy of having an Airhead SBD logo posted near it. You're going to have to better than this.

You left out a "do". Worthy of an Airhead Logo? That is the whole point.
Airheads like to keep it simple. I don't see anything simple about hauling a pack of dogs along on a "motorcycle" trip! Chains, leashes, food, food dishes, pooper scoopers, etc. etc etc. My definition of a well behaved dog is one that you are not aware of the presence of. That is something I have no problem with. Most of the people I know that own dogs make it evident they prefer the company of dogs over humans. That is fine with me but don't come to my house for cards and tell me you have to get home because your dog is lonely, hungry, cold, hot or what have you.
When I see a dog owner with a club jacket for the breed of dogs they own I know the people really care about projecting a positive image of the breed and feel comfortable around them. I have photos of dogs sticking their heads out of tank bags at rallies because they are so cute. I've owned dogs probably for the wrong reasons like it would be nice for the kids. They soon tire of taking care of them. As far as this rant goes, it is just my opinion. I may stop by your motor home and if your pet is so inclined I would welcome him/her on my lap for a few strokes but then would move on to do my own thing. See you in Lima and I will have my Fritz button on so you can give me your opinion. My club members tell me I like to stir things up. Naawwww! :thumb

Fritz said:

Wow, Fritz!!! I am sorry you have had such bad experiences with dogs and dog owners. First of all, mine will be riding in our RV. They will not be chained up, as they never are!!! I don't know anyone that thinks any dogs poop smells like lilacs or likes squishing their toes between it, but whatever floats your boat. We ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, clean up after our dogs, and are disgusted with anyone who doesn't. Also, I would NEVER let my dog stick her head out of a window of a moving vehicle - something could fly up and hit her in the face. And, whether you want to believe it or not, my dogs are well behaved and would never bite someone unless they were trying to hurt them, me or STRESS, and unless someone were to break into my house, I am always with my dogs when they meet strange people and make sure the people are not intimidated and that my dogs are behaving. You are welcome to stop by the RV area and meet my dogs personally to verify all of the above.

D'Lilah said:
Wow, Fritz!!! I am sorry you have had such bad experiences with dogs and dog owners.

D'Lilah, I just have to tell you that I am pretty sure I met Fritz at a Detroit Touring Club ride this weekend. He was still complaining about someone coming with 2 shelties and someone else with a couple of labs. When I told him we were both (you and us) bringing RV's, it changed his attitude considerably. Despite his rant (which was totally lacking in imagination) he is a truly nice guy. Opinionated? Yes, just ask him. But nice, nonetheless.

:drink :clap :drink

dancogan said:
D'Lilah, I just have to tell you that I am pretty sure I met Fritz at a Detroit Touring Club ride this weekend. He was still complaining about someone coming with 2 shelties and someone else with a couple of labs. When I told him we were both (you and us) bringing RV's, it changed his attitude considerably. Despite his rant (which was totally lacking in imagination) he is a truly nice guy. Opinionated? Yes, just ask him. But nice, nonetheless.

Thanks, Dan. I will reserve my opinion of Fritz until I meet him, something he might choose to do with respect to me and my dogs as well. :)

picking a bone with who and about what....pets welcome.

I've owned dogs probably for the wrong reasons like it would be nice for the kids. They soon tire of taking care of them.
Your probably right about be an owner for the wrong reason! Dogs are like small kids, as they need to be watched as they can't rationalize nor reason. Dogs can only be trained and that takes time and dedication on behalf of the owner. Since you thought the kids would take care of the dogs I assume you didn't spend much time educating yourself perhaps with the breed of dog you selected initially that possibly added to the evident frustration that you seem to still have. I bet the dog would have protected the kids in the unlikely event that the animal sensed that they were truly in harms way to the extent the breed could. Which I may add could have only been annoying barking. How did the kids turn out?

Fritz said:
You left out a "do". Worthy of an Airhead Logo? That is the whole point. . . .
See you in Lima and I will have my Fritz button on so you can give me your opinion. My club members tell me I like to stir things up. Naawwww! :thumb

Crap. I thought you had enough concern for "do do" in your rant that I could leave one out. :p

PS: you had me until you brought up your concern for dogs sticking their heads out of car windows. they may be the only other member of the animal kingdom that understands why you ride :clap

Thanks Dan!

dancogan said:

Dan, You are too kind! I did not change my opinion on anything I said. However, often times the written word seems angrier than the spoken word.
Ask anyone in the club that knows me and they will tell you I like to stir things up now and then. My eldest son is a dog lover and I cannot tell him how I feel or he wouldn't talk to me again so to keep peace in the family, I just rant at other people. To illustrate, he blames everyone else but himself for the trouble his dogs cause. He lets his dogs roam all over the countryside and all night. There is a leash law in every county in the state as far as I know and it should be obeyed. ENOUGH!

My feeling is that everyone has some human or animal that annoys them. For me it is screaming rug rats running wild when I am trying to sleep. I think that my reaction from stating that people live their kids home, cause I don't like spoiled kids, wouldn't go over to well.

So we just all have our own stone in a the shoe, so for those of you that want to bring kids, I will be hanging out in the adult beverage area to stay away from them... that is my story and I am sticking to it. It is either that or I will be hanging out with the dogs.

BradfordBenn said:
My feeling is that everyone has some human or animal that annoys them. For me it is screaming rug rats running wild when I am trying to sleep. I think that my reaction from stating that people live their kids home, cause I don't like spoiled kids, wouldn't go over to well.

Brad,
I will speak to the boys at Air Central and try to get them to tone it down a little. :drink
Fritz

i'm cool with the dogs and the kids, what gets me riled up is if there are any trollops running around. man i go NUTS when that happens.

is there a "no trollop" zone?

;)

If there is a "no trollop zone", you can have it.
Is that similar to a "no strumpet zone?".

IÔÇÖm confused! I keep reading about dogs and RVÔÇÖs. Is this a motorcycle rally youÔÇÖll be attending? Sounds like a AARP sponsored event. :snore

You wonder why you have trouble attracting a younger crowd to the BMW group. :dunno

Do I have to wait for the sun to go down to find the people having "FUN" or is there a good place to look in the daylight? I hate setting up my TENT in the dark.

woodnsteel said:
If there is a "no trollop zone", you can have it.
Is that similar to a "no strumpet zone?".

if you were referring to crumpets - loose, lewd, and lascivious ladies - then my answer is a hearty yes. confident women are too intimidating, and challenge my world view, which ironically is not very worldly and is over 400 years old. that's another story...

there better not be a "no strumpet zone." after spending some time in london, i've developed a habit of having afternoon tea and strumpets, and it's rather nice. actually, being american, i have an afternoon starbucks half-caf, extra hot, no-whip, caramel mocha latte and dozen krispy kreme donuts, but it's pretty much the same as what the british do. oh, and i dont wait till 4pm. i sorta of just eat and drink that stuff all afternoon. i recently had titanium femurs installed, and i've upped my refined sugar intake to 3 kg a day in an effort to test them out. theyve got a one year warranty, so if theyre going to fail, i want to find out really soon. i'm also mainlining transfat in the form of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, but the vein in my arm looks like it might collapse, so that might not work out.

mmmmm, strumpets.

;)

Stuff2C said:
IÔÇÖm confused! I keep reading about dogs and RVÔÇÖs. Is this a motorcycle rally youÔÇÖll be attending? Sounds like a AARP sponsored event. :snore

You wonder why you have trouble attracting a younger crowd to the BMW group.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Back