• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

side stand ??

I was giving my 1985 R80 a bath today , suddenly the side stand spring comes off along with some kind of a plastic bushing that looks like it might be part of the return spring retention ??

I have a Farley stand mounted and never use the OEM stand anymore anyway. So i thought i would just remove it.

And then the fun began !!

I took off the main nut but did not remove the crash bar, so i was not able to get the OEM stand off ??
How the heck does it come off ??

I managed to get the spring back on , but not with the bushing , there was only one anyway so i was not sure which end of the spring it should go into.

I used two plastic zip ties to hold the OEM stand up, but am not sure that is safe to do. Sure don't want it to deploy while i am going down the road and the retention/return spring seems weak.

Doug

if you got he farley, you got a good sidestand
get rid of the stocker. you will have to pull the engine mount bolt enough to drop the parts, pull it to the right just enough to let the crap fall out. but you will need to leave/put back the original mount that goes on the bolt/stud/ as it is a spacer.
yep , I dont know why the factory likes those fac sidestands, they are junk
love my farley on my 85 R80RT

Thanks, I looked at the fish on Max's web site and think I understand it now.
I suppose i need to tap the motor mount over with a block of wood and a dead blow hammer enough to get the stand off.:scratch

The bike will for sure go faster without the OEM stand and all that extra weight. :dance

Excellent aftermarket sidestand for R80G/S and ST

I hated the OEM sidestand on my R80ST. It finally crumbled recently as I was getting off the bike, causing a tip-over and putting me on the ground. I immediately ordered an aftermarket sidestand I really like--check it out at www.flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm
I love it and have never looked back. Carl is a great guy to deal with. This sidestand is ultra sturdy and secure, it is mounted in a far better position, plus it has the same lean angle as the OEM.

Thanks, I looked at the fish on Max's web site and think I understand it now.
I suppose i need to tap the motor mount over with a block of wood and a dead blow hammer enough to get the stand off.:scratch

The bike will for sure go faster without the OEM stand and all that extra weight. :dance

Just stick a small scissor jack under the oil pan with a 2x4 or a block of wood to distribute the load, and take a bit of pressure off the front motor mount while you're gently tapping on the motor mount rod... The front mounting rod will slide right out, the mounting hardware will fall out, and the side stand will just come off..

yeah,getting the old side stand off is imperative and simple(pos for years) and installing a way better after market one= way better result/not too difficult.Mine is a Brown's on my 95 R100RT.The stocker is just ridiculous.

removing sidestand pin

I searched the site and found this thread, but I read where the sidestand "pin" will fall out. Mine wiggles, but is stuck. I need to pull it out about 1/16th to slip the spring over the pin in the correct slot. Or, grind down the sidestand, but I don't want to do that. Can I drive the pin out from the outside? Is it just "painted" in place when it came back from powder coat?

Back