• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Great Foam Ear Plug Source

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

I am a big fan of the Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs. At NRR 32 they are higher rated than most other foam plugs out there, and are a great fit for those of us with narrower ear canals who find the big orange ones sold at bike shops and shooting ranges uncomfortable and painful over the long haul. I bought a box of 200 back in 1999 though I only got about 30 pairs in before a bad wreck put my riding on hold for some years. Still, I used them on planes (bliss!), at the shooting range, etc. and a couple years ago when I started riding again went happily back to the box. I ran out at the end of last season and started looking for a new box.

I started at Conney Safety Products where I got the last box but found them to be priced on the high side and with high shipping cost a bit too much. With a little searching (and a google for "free shipping code") I found Seton Company - they had the best price around on the 200-pairs uncorded and as mentioned free shipping with the "WS0114" code. Total price was half what many others charge.

I ordered and got the e-mail confirmation, then a shipping notice with tracking code. Two days later the box appeared on my doorstep - total price $23.90.

Great experience I thought I would pass along. Sure cheaper than paying $1 a pair, and there is never a temptation to re-wear grubby used ones :)

LaserLite-Earplugs-LI6-ba.jpg

PS - DaveB if you read this, send me your address again and I will get you a '99 and '12 one for comparison - frankly except for a bit more vivid yellow I cannot tell the difference. Tried measuring, compressing, twisting, stretching, etc. - they seem exactly the same.

ebay has them

I have been using them for several years...on the bike and to block my wife's snoring!

You can get them for great prices on ebay...with or without being connected.

+1 on the Howard Leight plugs. I've been using the "Max" model for a few years, buying by the box. Discovering too late in life the damage caused by noise, I'm determined to preserve what I've got left. From riding, lawn mowing, power tools, and plane trips, I use 'em now.

If you don't wear earplugs when riding now, you will wish you did when you get a little older. :gerg

pete

Used foam for years, always got the best I could, but NOTHING works as well as these http://www.earplugsonline.com/

They call them the worlds best ear plugs and I agree. They are a putty like material that you soften by kneading it and press into the ear, they seal EXCELLENT.

No matter what I did, the foam seal seemed inconsistent, and even loosened during a ride. requiring stopping and reinsertion which is a PITA. I have had these loosen just a couple times, and I can reach inside the helmet and just press it back in on the fly.

Go to ADV rider, there is a big thread there with testimonials about their effectiveness. Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661639&highlight=worlds+plugs

For years I had tried every type of ear plug and could find nothing good. So I would tear a tissue, of the Kleenex(TM) type in two, and stuff each ear.
Which actually worked the best for me.
But I was in Torrey and Arizona Al was offering his custom, made for your ear plugs. So I tried them. Excellent. He puts the silicon in the ear, then it hardens, and he then trims the plug. They work excellent, and he also gave me all the science and instructions on how to use them.
Of course, these have to be made in person.
But they are the best I have ever found.
He also puts speakers in them, if you want.
dc

Being a musician, I opted for the molded earplug a long time ago. Their filtering allows the clearest representation of what's happening around you instead of the muffled sound you get from the plushy ones. Lately I've been riding with headphones and got a pair of the Etymotics with their 3 flange rubber earplug on it. It really cuts out the sound and allows you to listen to your music at a low level without damaging your hearing. I'd recommend either customs or the regular Etymotic plugs.

Granted for the cost, those squishy ones look like a smart thing to buy and keep in the top case just in case.

from Planet Dirt

Hey everyone:
Shortly after I started riding motorcycles 10 years ago, felt the need to protect my hearing from whatever kind of sound was causing my head ache everytime I rode my bike. I tried all kind of plugs and to tell the truth they all worked for me. Non was better or worst.Even today if I'm not wearing the plugs I risk a head ache by the end of my ride.
The Howard leight ear plugs are good, rolling them in a cylinder shape is the best way to wear them, they get a little dirty quick .I also experience a little pain if I wear them for long hours of riding......but not that its abig problem for me.
The Peltor Sport Tri-Flange are my favorite, they are made by 3M; I don't like the cord so I cut it out, it tangles everywhere. They are washable and I get several days of use on one pair. One thing; They get the best result when wet. There is no pain at all even in long rides and several days of constant use. They also come with a little pouch to storage them when not in use......I hope this helps somebody.....and enjoy the ride

Back