• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Sea foam in Beemers

I've used Seafoam and Chevron Techron. No problems with either. Now I stick with Techron though because I feel it is more effective and I have a test report of the most common fuel cleaners, and Techron was proved as the only real effective cleaner with no harmful after effects.

+1 on Techron. Seafoam is 50% pale oil (mineral oil), 30% naphtha (think mothballs) and 20% rubbing alcohol. Invented in the 1930s, before fuel injection, its time seems to me to have passed.

Marvel mystery oil has been around for almost 100 years still use it as a upper cylinder lubricant, used by many aircraft operators (not FAA approved) mixed with fuel, prior to oil change a quart in the oil tank run for a hour then drain. Good lube for fuel pumps and injectors
FYI the quart in the oil mixes with 10 gallons of 60wt oil
The above was recommended by my radial engine builder:wave

Techron vs Sea foam

Wonder HOW "Sea Foam" got its name? I don't know, asking! I just used Techron on a 3800m trip last week and have not used it for years, forgot when last time done, if ever. My GSA1200 got weak in high rev ops on the highway, say 75-80mph and hard accelling from there. Boy, did the Techron work wonders:). Within a quarter tank of gas, the engine "lit up" again. I poured the whole bottle into my GSA10g tank at fillup. Sure works. LIKE:). Says it works up to 12 gallons at a time. My oil doesn't need any help, imo, as it still looks rather clean at my change intervals. I know I WILL be more aggressive with my adding the cleaner to my fuel system from now on, at least twice a year. Randy:usa

Sea Foam was formulated in the 1930's specifically for boats, to handle the condensation/moisture content in fuel systems that sat unused for longer periods of time in very wet environments. Thus "Sea Foam".

Works great!

We use it in our bikes and have had great success!

PS - our local dealer recommends it as well. :usa

Stabil

I used it for the first time this year (I live in Wisconsin), but maybe I shouldn't. I'm not worried about cleaning anything, rather I wanted to "stabilize" my fuel for Dec-Feb. After reading the rest of the comments (Paul and others) maybe I should go back to Stabil next Winter.

There was a thread on here or ADVrider that said stabil did not get along with the BMW injecters
Phil

That's kind of hard to believe for me. I can't begin to even think of how many gallons of SeaFoam I've run through my injected BMWs since 1993. Hundreds of thousands of miles later I've never had even the slightest problem.

BMW uses exactly the same Bosch injector as used in the cars, they are set to a certain flow rate, and the holes on the end a certain way. They are built on an automated line, it would be way too expensive to customize where they do not like seafoam. That said, chevron techron is a superior cleaning additive containing chemistry developed in the last 20 years as opposed to WW2 stoddard solvent.

Rod

Clarification in Order?

I was reading this thread and thought I would chime-in on something that (may) confuse people if they skip through this thread without knowing exactly which application the individual posters are referring. Since the product can be used in the fuel tank, the crankcase and by adding it to air intake systems, I wanted to ensure readers, who may not be familiar with Sea Foam, know that this thread jumps back and forth in the method of application for which the members are writing. Make sense? It just seems like one member mentions using it without specifying the fuel system and then another member mentions using it without specifying the crankcase. I may be wrong here, but I want to ensure anyone reading the thread, and looking for info, doesn't confuse one post as a response to another, and so on.

Also, FWIW, Techron is great if you want to increase HP because it does what it's advertised to do, and that's remove and prevent the build-up of deposits. Last I checked, they're two completely different products (Techron/Sea Foam) for two different purposes. Granted, so long as you're using a Top Tier gas, http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html , you SHOULD be fine without the additional additives. Sea Foam, on the other hand, does sooooooooo much more. I mean, a lot more. AND, they have an aerosol dispersing can now... Woohoo! The best result of using the stuff is in small 2-Cycle motors; huge difference.

Please see the following.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXViwb97qc&feature=player_embedded#!

We had a serious hail storm in South Texas and rain got into my brother's Miata gas tank (gas cap is on top of rear panel sitting flat). It would start but die at stops so he added some sea foam and that took care of the problem.

Paul,to take this a step further,can I put a bit of Seafoam in the crankcase prior to oil change like I do in my car?I usually put it in about 25 miles or so before the oil change.TIA
As an aside,BITOG is an excellent site for all things oil related.
I've been a Techron user since I first heard about it.And Seafoan user about 10 years or so.I still use both regularly.

Sure. Either will dissolve gums and loosen carbon in the combustion chamber. The carbon bits are hard and can wind up in the oil. Good practice is to dose a tank of fuel just prior to an oil change and to then drain any of the contaminants away with a fresh oil change.

But, if I had symptoms of a clogged injector while on the road I would dose the fuel and rely on the oil filter to catch any carbon particles. But prefer to change oil afterwards if possible.

Seafoam goes well on your cherios in the morning before you head out for a ride. Then just pour the remainder into the tank.
No ill effects at all!

Honestly, there's a sucker born every minute!

Back