• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Sea foam in Beemers

D

DUCMONZA

Has anyone ever used Sea foam in their bikes? I've used it for years in all of my marine equipment and yard equipment. I've been afraid to try it in an F.I. System, but on my old CB750 the stuff works miracles.

Just curious to see what other members think about using the stuff.

I've used Seafoam and Chevron Techron. No problems with either. Now I stick with Techron though because I feel it is more effective and I have a test report of the most common fuel cleaners, and Techron was proved as the only real effective cleaner with no harmful after effects.

Had a buddy's K1100LT for a bit while I was tinkering on mine. Double yer pleasure. Put Seafoam in mine and equal in his.... gave them both a backyard highrev tuneup. Gave him back his bike and he said, "wow, what the hell did you do to it? Like a new bike" Of course I lied and said that it had a lot to do with my tuneup abilities ..... and, at no charge. Is that ethical?:dunno:laugh - Bob

I had heard that repeated use isn't oil friendly....I was told to consider a dose at the end of the riding season to clean out the fuel system and then change the oil.

thoughts??:lurk

I had heard that repeated use isn't oil friendly....I was told to consider a dose at the end of the riding season to clean out the fuel system and then change the oil.

thoughts??:lurk

Sure. Either will dissolve gums and loosen carbon in the combustion chamber. The carbon bits are hard and can wind up in the oil. Good practice is to dose a tank of fuel just prior to an oil change and to then drain any of the contaminants away with a fresh oil change.

But, if I had symptoms of a clogged injector while on the road I would dose the fuel and rely on the oil filter to catch any carbon particles. But prefer to change oil afterwards if possible.

I'm in with Paul on this one.
I add some Seafoam to the tank just before I do an oil change on my airhead.

Unlike Chevron Techron, Seafoam can be added directly to the oil according to the instructions on the bottle. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

thanks

I am with Paul on this one... I add Chevron Techron in my Airheads prior to changing the oil. I have had not had any problems with it.

Unlike Chevron Techron, Seafoam can be added directly to the oil according to the instructions on the bottle. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

thanks

It will act like a solvent in the oil and will clean things up. Not always a good idea on an older engine. I'm not sure of a situation that I'd be putting it in the oil.

If memory serves me correct you put a measured amount in the oil ( subsituting sea foam for some oil ) and run the engine for about 100 miles and then dump the oil.

The suff works really well in the gas as a storage add or to just clean up the fuel system. Works wonders on old carbs.

I've never been a big fan of adding a fuel conditioner/combustion chamber cleaner/carb cleaner to a lubrication system.

I mean, our oils are detergent, are they not? If one properly maintains their bike, how dirty can the inside of a motor be? Every engine I've had the pleasure of disassembling has been as clean as a whistle.

I will await those with greater knowledge to tell me how far out in left field I am (or not).

I've never been a big fan of adding a fuel conditioner/combustion chamber cleaner/carb cleaner to a lubrication system.

I mean, our oils are detergent, are they not? If one properly maintains their bike, how dirty can the inside of a motor be? Every engine I've had the pleasure of disassembling has been as clean as a whistle.

I will await those with greater knowledge to tell me how far out in left field I am (or not).

It's probably more beneficial to sludge-prone engines (I know one of my cars is on that list) but I was wondering if it would be good practice to use it on our oilheads let's say 100 miles prior to an oil change. However, given the design of our oilhead engines, I have some concerns about altering the oil properties and potentially affecting critical parts of the engine. I could be wrong, though.

Hopefully the more experienced will chime in.

Sea Foam

I used it for the first time this year (I live in Wisconsin), but maybe I shouldn't. I'm not worried about cleaning anything, rather I wanted to "stabilize" my fuel for Dec-Feb. After reading the rest of the comments (Paul and others) maybe I should go back to Stabil next Winter.

I just used it on the old '79 RT I just bought...helps get all that accumulated water. Works for me:)

I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.

I have used Seafoam or mostly Chevron Techron for years, mostly in the gas during the riding season, with no ill affects. I use a bout two bottles of it per riding season.

As far as using Seafoam to stabilize the gas like mentioned above, remember that Seafoam is basically alcohol, so I don't see much gain from it as a fuel stabilizer.

And, in my 40 years of motorcycling (all up here in Wisconsin), I have never used any form of fuel stabilizer, ever. No Stabil, nothing, and I have never suffered a fuel related problem getting my bikes started in the spring. My 94 R1100RS has never recieved any Stabil, ever, in the 17+ years I have owned it, and I ride abour 10k miles per season. Still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump and regulator.

Any more talk like this will result in a clearance sale of additives at my place. Date to be announced. :laugh

Back