• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

There is a Mt. Union on 30, just west of 233 on the PA state map approx. 20 miles from Gettysburg. Maybe there are 2, or my map is wrong.

That's weird. I've ridden or driven that way literally 100 times and never seen it. The only one I know of is near Huntingdon.

Last edited:
It was a free map, might be wrong...... The point was more to give a refferance to help pinpoint where the park is. Our local (church) club is having our first camp rally at Pine Grove Furnace state park in July, yeah, I know, too hot, but that's when it worked. We looked at the 3 state parks as well as others, decided on Pine Grove based on the condition of their group camping area and level parking for the bikes.

I have a commitment Friday night of the Weekend Get a Way, but have volunteered to help as needed on Saturday, hope to meet some of you in person.

Flight 93

Thank you for notifying us about the event. We do ask that groups over 15 make a reservation to visit the memorial. Please share the following information with anyone who may be visiting.

The memorial entrance is directly off of U.S. Route 30. The address for GPS users is: 6424 Lincoln Highway (U.S. Route 30), Stoystown, PA 15563.

The Flight 93 National Memorial has set hours of operation, please plan your visit accordingly. The memorial is open every day of the year except for Christmas and New YearÔÇÖs Day. During the winter months, until March 31, the memorial is open from 9 AM to 5 PM. The last entry into the park is at 4:30 PM. From April 1 to mid-October, the memorial will be open from
9 AM to 7 PM, with the last entry into the park at 6:30 PM.

Please be aware that the memorial is currently experiencing high visitation. On weekends April-October, anticipate large crowds and the potential for limited parking and shuttle buses.

Frequently asked questions and key points:
ÔÇó First phase of the permanent memorial was dedicated on September
10th, 2011.

ÔÇó There is no fee to visit the memorial.

ÔÇó Plan to spend at least 45 minutes to visit the memorial.

ÔÇó Restrooms are available.

ÔÇó No food, drink or merchandise is available. These items are available
in Somerset and Shanksville and at locations on Route 30 such as
Jennerstown, Buckstown, and Reels Corners.

ÔÇó Only service animals are permitted inside the memorial area. Pets are
permitted in the parking area as long as they are on a leash and
owners clean up after their pet.

ÔÇó The memorial is out of doors; please dress appropriately for the
weather.

ÔÇó Wheel-chairs are available for use; ask a park ranger for assistance.

ÔÇó Visitors are welcome to leave small tributes at the Wall of Names or
in a few designated places on the plaza walkway.

ÔÇó The memorial is a place for quiet reflection and expressions of
respect.

Wendy Clay
Park Guide

National Park Service
Flight 93 National Memorial
P.O. Box 911
Shanksville, PA 15560

814.893.6322 phone
814.893.6329 fax

I stopped in at the Jean Bonnet tavern in Bedford Pa. yesterday.

http://www.jeanbonnettavern.com/

I spoke with the owner, Melissa and told her about the BMW rally in Gettysburg and the discussion about traveling to the Flight 93 Memorial.

She was excited to hear that BMW riders might be stopping!

I highly recommend a stop at jean Bonnet!

Jason

Last edited:
That's weird. I've ridden or driven that way literally 100 times and never seen it. The only one I know of is near Huntingdon.

It's one of those unincorporated village type places.

As to camping, I'd go with the Caledonia or PG Furnace SP area. It's the better side of the county wrt traffic and nice roads.

Any "unofficial" meet/greet/ride set up yet? My schedule won't allow for a day long ride, although RB has some nice rides mapped.

I stopped for lunch there with a group of about 25 from the Army War College in Carlisle I was leading to the memorial last year, and everyone was happy.

I stopped for lunch there with a group of about 25 from the Army War College in Carlisle I was leading to the memorial last year, and everyone was happy.

Where you able to sit outside on the deck? I love watching all the bikes go buy on nice day.

With 25 riders you must have overwhelmed the place!

Jason

Schedule?

Does anyone know the schedule of events? What time does registration begin?

I know Friday kicks off with a reception and cash bar. What time? What does the reception include?

There will be several MARs members in attendance and we are trying to make a plan. Should we plan on a group dinner elsewhere?

By the way, anyone and everyone is welcome to gather with us!

On your way home...

The MidAtlantic Riders would like to invite anyone heading home on Sunday to join us at Prudomme's Lost Cajun Kitchen in Columbia for Lunch. It's a great spot with many a story and much history. Foods great too. I guarantee it will be a one of a kind experience.

www.lostcajunkitchen.com
50 Lancaster ave
columbia, PA 17512

If you're leaning toward going, we probably should give the proprietors' a heads up by Wednesday 4/12 so please let me know asap.
:thumb:dance:buds:bar

The MidAtlantic Riders would like to invite anyone heading home on Sunday to join us at Prudomme's Lost Cajun Kitchen in Columbia for Lunch. It's a great spot with many a story and much history. Foods great too. I guarantee it will be a one of a kind experience.

www.lostcajunkitchen.com
50 Lancaster ave
columbia, PA 17512

If you're leaning toward going, we probably should give the proprietors' a heads up by Wednesday 4/12 so please let me know asap.

One of my favorite spots.

www.lostcajunkitchen.com
50 Lancaster ave
columbia, PA 17512

My wife and I are planning on joining you all.

great! Be sure to look me up friday or saturday as our plans are fairly loose at the moment. A lot will depend on what happen Saturday night :dance

tom clemow
MARs Pres.

Tom and all,

I will have Internet access and post the plan here Saturday night. I'm sure the hotel will have an Internet station or business center for those who want to log in.

This is going to be GREAT

I am a new guy in town. This will be my first BMW Getaway. Though I call it a Rally since my wife is not coming, she does not ride. Went on my first ride Saturday with the Westchester Bemmer Riders and what a day a what a great ride. My first BMW group ride.
I look forward to meeting up with all the riders and passengers in Gettysburg. Hope you don't mind me picking your brains for your advice and opinons.
Have a save ride to the Eisenower.

Does anyone know the schedule of events? What time does registration begin?

I know Friday kicks off with a reception and cash bar. What time? What does the reception include?

There will be several MARs members in attendance and we are trying to make a plan. Should we plan on a group dinner elsewhere?

By the way, anyone and everyone is welcome to gather with us!

Just came to my inbox:

Gettysburg Weekend Event
Eisenhower Hotel

Friday April 13:
3:00 pm to 9:00 pm Registration opens in Eisenhower Hotel lobby/reception room
6:00 pm to 9:00 pm get together, cash bar, hors dÔÇÖoeuvres
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Guided tour of ÔÇ£Night Battle SightsÔÇØ

Saturday April 14:

9:00 am to Noon Guided tour of Gettysburg Battlefield
9:00 am to 3:00 pm Antietam and HarperÔÇÖs Ferry guided ride (104 miles)
9:00 am to Noon Hawk Mountain Guided ride(204 miles)
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Smart Trainer
6:00 pm to 7:00 pm get together, cash bar
7:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dinner

Sunday April 15:

So long, have a safe trip, see you next year

Cheers,

Jim

I have not attended a MOA event before and I'm not sure what to expect. I did not sign up for any of the tours but now that I look at the schedule I just received in the mail I am wondering whether there might be openings - the information in the ON magazine and on the MOA site has not been very helpful. Does anyone have insight into this?

Back