• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Weekend getaway-Gettysburg

R1200R's

Rockbottom,

We had three R1200R's in our group at the Bloomsburg Rally. It is my favorite bike, as well.

I know how you feel about losing your canine companion. It is two years today that I had to euthanize our beloved Buster, the large red greyhound in the forefront of my avatar. My wife and I still miss him tremendously!

Bill

Excellent ride suggestions, the more the merrier. Will be heading down from central NY, can't wait. Expect it to be the first ride of the season.

@rockbottom Great ride suggestions & thanks for the clarification on that Amish country is more than just around Lancaster!

@fastdogs2 I was at the rally last year on my 2007 Granite Gray R1200R. I'll be at the weekend getaway with another riding buddy who has a 2007 Black R1200R. I'm leaving my GS at home for this one... let's see if we can get a bunch of the roadsters out to Gettysburg in April!

>>"I've always considers the Pekingese the perfect dog. To use as alligator bait. "<<

Shame on you:nono Your a fellow dog owner, that little dust-mop is someones beloved pet, just as your Doberman is & Goldie was....tis,tis,tis.....

I had a Goldie, :heart cancer took her as well.....they are a special breed indeed.

Just to get people stoked, I thought I'd throw up a few pictures from the battlefield.

SharpshootersNestDevilsDenGettysburg.jpg

The sniper's den near Little Round Top.

Seminary.jpg

The Lutheran Seminary.

LittleRoundTop.jpg

Reenacters on Little Round Top

IMG_0080.jpg

The High Water Mark of the Confederacy

IMG_0084.jpg

Codori Farm. Pickett's charge swept past here.

DevilsDenGettysburg.jpg

Devil's Den

WeAreFreeNowl.jpg

Pennsylvania Memorial

Before coming, I'd recommend watching the Ted Turner movie Gettysburg if you haven't.

Last edited:
I registered today; I hope we don't get payback for the mild winter on that weekend!

I saw that there were still spots open for a nighttime battlefield tour on Friday. Does anyone know when this tour starts or whether it is on bikes as opposed to a bus? I don't want to sign up and take a spot if it will start before I can get there.

Doe anyone know how to contact the coordinators for the Gettysburg event?
I have a question for them and can't find their information.
Thanks!

Camping?

I'm planning on attending. Thinking about camping as a "warmup" to the MO International Rally, no pun intended (new to the moto-camping scene). Anybody know of any camping in the area or is this a mostly hotel based event? Also, are there any organized rides to the Shanksville Memorial site, sounds like something I would really like to do.

Looking forward to being there.

I'm planning on attending. Thinking about camping as a "warmup" to the MO International Rally, no pun intended (new to the moto-camping scene). Anybody know of any camping in the area or is this a mostly hotel based event? Also, are there any organized rides to the Shanksville Memorial site, sounds like something I would really like to do.

Looking forward to being there.

Gettysburg is chock a block full of camping areas. I rode past this one yesterday. I can't recommend any though since I'm a local.

I don't know of the event organizers or local club are scheduling a Flight 93 Memorial ride but I'd be happy to if they're not and there's interest. I could do the 13th or 14th but my preference would be the 13th since the weekend traffic on Route 30 gets a bit heavy. There's an outstanding section with four mountain crossings with a few peg-scraping curves between Fort Loudon and Breezewood and on weekend the odds of getting stuck behind a slow truck or minivan is about 80%.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun weekend

I plan on coming, weather permitting. I am a new BMW rider and it will be m first rally. If it is going to be rain for the weekend I will not come. Don't want to spend my first weekend and rally riding in the rain.

Codoras State park is east of Gettysburg, (south/east of Hanover, 40 minute ride), nice park but the pool won't be open that early. There is also Caledonia State park to the north/west, near Mt. Union(20 minute ride), and Pine Grove Furnace State park(35 minute ride) almost due north of Gettysburg. The advantage of the state park (at least here in PA) is that at a private campground, the security guy is usually a retiree, with no real authority, but at the state park, the park rangers have the power to arrest, so unruly patrons are dealt with differently. :doh On the negative side (for some), state parks do not allow alcohol :drink, but they will not search your bags when you enter, so as long as you are discreet, you'll be fine.

Rt 233 connecting Caledonia park and Pine Grove Furnace is a nice section of good pavement. Not "twisty", but curvy and fun.

Codoras State park is east of Gettysburg, (south/east of Hanover, 40 minute ride), nice park but the pool won't be open that early. There is also Caledonia State park to the north/west, near Mt. Union(20 minute ride), and Pine Grove Furnace State park(35 minute ride) almost due north of Gettysburg. The advantage of the state park (at least here in PA) is that at a private campground, the security guy is usually a retiree, with no real authority, but at the state park, the park rangers have the power to arrest, so unruly patrons are dealt with differently. :doh On the negative side (for some), state parks do not allow alcohol :drink, but they will not search your bags when you enter, so as long as you are discreet, you'll be fine.

Rt 233 connecting Caledonia park and Pine Grove Furnace is a nice section of good pavement. Not "twisty", but curvy and fun.

Well, Mount Union is about 100 miles from Gettysburg, but good tips on the state parks. I ride 233 through them at least 2 or 3 times a week.

We've camped at Cordorus and it's a nice park. The bath houses are up to date and well maintained and the staff and camp neighbors were friendly. The down side (?) was a bit of a distance to find a restaurant.

We would go back there again.

We've camped at Cordorus and it's a nice park. The bath houses are up to date and well maintained and the staff and camp neighbors were friendly. The down side (?) was a bit of a distance to find a restaurant.

We would go back there again.

You'd also have to go through Hanover to get to Gettysburg. That's not a huge deal, but does take 15 minutes or so. Plus the really good roads are mostly north and west of Gettysburg, and Codoras is east.

Well, Mount Union is about 100 miles from Gettysburg, but good tips on the state parks. I ride 233 through them at least 2 or 3 times a week.

There is a Mt. Union on 30, just west of 233 on the PA state map approx. 20 miles from Gettysburg. Maybe there are 2, or my map is wrong.

Back