• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nikon Coolpix 500 vs. Canon Power Shot SX30

Firenailer

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at these 2 cameras for an upcoming trip. Does anyone have experience with them or any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Don't rule out other bands

Fujifilm makes very similar, and run a little cheaper. Also Sony which purchase Minolta makes very good quality system. I like to have camera that do not have interchangeable lens for travel on a motorcycle, I never like pocket cameras, just do not have the feel of a camera.

I also like to get Squretrade warranty, cheap and very good company.

For what it's worth, I had great service from Canon on a long out of warranty camera. It started acting up, and when I googled the problem, it turned out to be a known issue. Even though even THAT info was a couple of years out of date, when I contacted Canon, they had me send them the camera for assessment. They fixed it and sent it back to me within about 10 days. All it cost me was the initial shipping to get it to them. I'd buy another in a heartbeat with service like that, and I couldn't be more thrilled that I didn't have to replace my camera!

Hi Clowry,

I had the same experience with them on one of my older Powershots. This is the first time I've ever considered leaving the fold, but the Nikon seems to get better reviews by users, and the local shop is pushing it as well.

I've never had an issue with Canon going back to my AE-1 Program so it's tough to change.

Thanks for the replies.

Nikon

I bought this for my son, I like the Nikon color saturation, the small size and the fact that the lens on the camera has a very broad range of capability from a very wide angle to a good telephoto.

I'm not a pro, but for the average user I think the Nikon is a good choice.

I have a Nikon S8000 for the bike, though to be honest I am more likely to use my iPhone as a camera. My 3 daughters all use digital Nikons, both point and shoot, and DSLRs. I like the brand, but I also don't see how you could go wrong with Canon. Just shop for the best combination of price, resolution, and form factor.

Back