• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Yoga at the 2012 Rally

ultracyclist

I practice Yoga in order to improve my flexibility and riding skills.
I am thinking that it would be fun to practice with others at the rally.
Some thing along the lines of basic poses at a comfortable pace-no powerflow or "detox" routines.

Any interest?
Any certified Yoga Instructors attending the rally?

I am a group exercise instructor (bike, land, water), but not certified for Yoga.

Namaste'

Roc-Roc

Interesting response.

Do I understand you are suggesting Yoga become a possible rally-wide event?

Or, that the Rally chairs can put put people of similar likes together?

I would be interested in learning a bit as a means of working out the kinks while on the road. Are you thinking of a get-together for experienced practitioners...or would this be open to curious types?

Pete

Never have done Yoga but always have heard about how great it is. I will say one thing, I cannot think of a better time to try it than after 1,000 miles in the saddle and all the tight muscles and knots that go with it.

If you contact the Rally Chairs and ask for some space I bet they will give it to you. Find an instructor to volunteer to lead a class or two they would probably put it in the rally book.

If there is someone who can teach a complete newb, count me in!

glenfiddich

The practice would be open to all.
Obviously we would be looking at a multi-level type of session.

May I suggest that you explore beginning Yoga classes in your area.

My gosh, Yoga Studios are popping up everywhere. Most of them have a 10 pack ( or 8 pack, or 12 pack) price for a package. And to be totally honest, it may take you a few sessions to learn the basics. Did you just jump on a motorcycle when you were first learning how to ride and blast through 90 degree turns as fast as you do now?

TIA

Did you just jump on a motorcycle when you were first learning how to ride and blast through 90 degree turns as fast as you do now?

Pretty much, yes. Didn't have a wreck until I had over 150k under my belt. I'd love to sign up for introductory classes but honestly I don't have the time. If there does end up being an introductory class I'd sure be interested.

Ted

Make some time for yourself and explore some beginning yoga classes.
You will be amazed after the first few sessions.

You can even pick up a cheap Yoga mat and other accessories at Target or other discount stores.

The practice would be open to all.
Obviously we would be looking at a multi-level type of session.

May I suggest that you explore beginning Yoga classes in your area.

My gosh, Yoga Studios are popping up everywhere. Most of them have a 10 pack ( or 8 pack, or 12 pack) price for a package. And to be totally honest, it may take you a few sessions to learn the basics. Did you just jump on a motorcycle when you were first learning how to ride and blast through 90 degree turns as fast as you do now?

TIA

Well, that might work in a city, but my closest neighbor is about a mile down the road. The next one two miles past him. If there was a class on Chainsawing to Yoga, we might have some classes...

Can you recommend a decent DVD to learn the basics from?

glennfiddich

I am partial to single malt myself.

Start here:
http://www.manduka.com/us/

Ask about DVD's, and so forth.

Now a word of caution about self study; be careful. Be mindful of your body. There are certain poses that cause me some discomfort because I have some "jazz" both n my low back and one ankle.

Start with your mind, move to the pose, the breathing makes it all work. Breath is like oil-you will see.

I have been practicing Yoga for about 3 years, I am an intermediate level, There are things I can do, and some I cannot---but I wish I had been practicing Yoga 30 years ago.

Namaste' (Be well)

Glennfiddich

Public Radio just reviewed this book:

The Science of Yoga, Risks and Rewards by Richard Broad

I plan on buying it within the next week.

As a point of Interest, Nancy Oswald, who was the top rookie in the 2009 Iron Butt on her BMW R1200GS credited yoga with helping her do 11,005 miles and end up in 20th place....
Just saying....

Mac

Peoria Mac

I hope to lay over in Peoria on my way to the Rally.

I bought one of Jim Strickland's R75/5's.

Is Nancy Oswald a member of BMWMOA?

TIA

My wife teaches yoga. I learn from the "trickle down" effect. I do yoga stretches on the road, modified to do while riding down the road. It really helps. No more sciatica. Better concentration on the road. Right now she is taking a class in breathing. This could certainly be done whilst riding down the road. There was a yoga event at Johnson City. Be careful of yoga teachers that want you to twist around alot. You should never do anything that hurts.

Bmwbmw??

I hope to lay over in Peoria on my way to the Rally. I bought one of Jim Strickland's R75/5's. Is Nancy Oswald a member of BMWMOA? TIA

Dear Ultra,
Looking forward to meeting you...here in Washington or at the Rally. Jim -as you might know - bought my R100/7. Now he's bought an RS. I haven't seen it yet....
Nancy is (was?) a member of BMWBMW (BMW Biker of Metropolitian Washington), so I assume she's an MOA member. Maybe someone from that club knows.
Hello, anyone out there???

Back