• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Utah... what are the best adventure rides?

Visian

look out!!!
:ear

looking for good adventure detours that lead toward the Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, UT.

thanks!

ian

Zion, Hwy 12, I say skip Bryce, Burr Trail, Hite Overlook, Torrey, then head from there.
Southern Utah, in other words.
dc

Zion, Hwy 12, I say skip Bryce, Burr Trail, Hite Overlook, Torrey, then head from there.
Southern Utah, in other words.
dc

Thanks!

How about Escalante Steps??? is that typically rideable by a bike loaded with camping stuff?

How are you with a GPS? :ha

Been there, done it:)

Many times over and the answer is yep for a few and NO for most. Almost a sure bet you'll cause damage to a GS, but done by some indeed. Most recent, I rode 3 years ago the E. steps areas and Burr Trail end to end. No finer places to ride, but groups are safer and solo's better get their heads examined. Me, did it solo but wondered frequently about my saneness out there alone. NOBODY is going to rescue you in them there parts. I won't go back in there alone:). Took two days, riding mostly seeing NO folks anywhere, just me a GSA1200 and "not enough" water, July..."Polarbear"....CARRY water folks, MORE than you think you'll need, 3 gallons at least, no joke in Utah badlands. You live or you don't, only the birds and ground critters will know. :dance:usa:thumb

I would suggest riding and camping on The White Rim Trail if you visit southern Utah.
Unbelievable scenery, easy trail and very few people, at least during the best times to visit in the fall and spring... don't visit the desert in the summer, that's what mountains up north are for. ;)
You'll need a permit to camp, something you can get at the ranger's station at Canyonlands NP near Moab.
Hopefully this year the loop will be back in action, last fall it still wasn't due to a wash out, but you could ride about 80 miles into the trail.
That info can be found on the Canyonlands site.
http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm

Also, it's my opinion to not be scared about solo adventure travel, carry a SPOT and have a plan worked out with someone watching your progress at home.
Don't overpack and make your ride easier/safer.
While it may seem very remote like nobody will come find you, the is America and plenty of professionals in that area just waiting to come rescue you.... someone will ALWAYS come and find you, this isn't Mexico - if you have the SPOT and a solid plan of action with outside help in case of emergency. Tracking, with scheduled OK check in functions to family members, etc.
Life is too short not to take calculated risks and feel alive, or depend on yourself and your family at home IMO.

If you do loop down into southern UT from out east on your way to SLC, you should also ride the Alpine Loop in Colorado on the way IMO.... Great thing is the Alpins loop and the Moab area are less than a days ride from each other on dirt via TAT, giving you some of the best of the best riding in NA in the same day. You won't want to leave either area.
Hell, why not ride sections of the Trans America Trail to get you where you want to go with a little adventure along the way.

Lots of GPX tracks on my site.

Have fun on your Adventure!

-Finn

2011-09-09-at-14-28-10-XL.jpg

2011-09-09-at-13-36-48-XL.jpg

832437238_Ls3QB-XL.jpg

Alpine Loop

2011-09-07-at-13-36-48-XL.jpg

2011-09-07-at-16-42-36-XL.jpg

2011-09-08-at-12-58-29-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, glad you like!

Yes the crash is very good ATGATT propaganda, hopefully it helps bring awareness to riders who think that they won't need proper hard armor safety gear, especially when off tarmac just cruising down a gravel road. Maybe I should post it in the main Beaten Path forum.
I recovered from the soreness just fine, and was able to trick out my bike in the rebuild with insurance money..... no dual rotors now though. :thumb
No regrets on my end.

Even with experiences like this - stuff happens - I still enjoy and encourage solo adventure motorcycle travel, with a solid communication plan with family via SPOT to be as safe as possible.
If I would have been solo and unable to get to the SPOT, people would have known pretty close to exactly where the SPOT stopped tracking and where I was. When I didn't check in at dinner, and my family saw my track had just stopped suddenly in a place I wasn't camping, they'd have notified the local authorities to go look for me.
While not perfect, I don't feel like I'm being careless and at least have a Plan.

Luckily I wasn't seriously injured or alone on this one. Most of the time I am solo.
No doubt, adventure motorcycling is a dangerous sport, but worth the calculated risks for me.... to visit places like mentioned in this thread on our GS's.
;)

Holy cow... look at those Lost Rider pictures!!! :clap

Finn- thank you for the advice you've given, too, and if you don't mind, I will be contacting you off-line.

Ian

If you havn't done the White Rim Trail put it on your list! A great ride! Great views everywhere and a fun ride, I particularlly enjoyed the Schaffer Switchbacks! Rode up, turned around rode them down and rode back up!

MoabOuray072011165.jpg

MoabOuray072011166.jpg

As Lostrider stated you will be very close to a half a dozen or more high passes just back to the east in CO.

Last year we did the WRT then headed to Ouray and did the Aline Loop starting at Engineer Pass. Along the way are Cinnamon and Corkscrew plus others. Then we hit Ophir and Imogene. Also Yankee Boy, unfortunatley Black Bear was still closed...even in July!

I love it out there......wish I was going back with you! ENJOY!!!!!

Ian:

+1 on the Canyonlands/Moab region. Stunning scenery.

From the Four Corners, you could do Valley of the Gods & the Moki Dugway, then head north to Moab.

Agreed:)

VERY nice pics:). I am too, a very alone, solo adventurer most of the time and these moments are blood stirring events indeed. Makes one feel alive, like nothing else:). Thank goodness my beemer has not left me stranded anywhere, deep in nowhereville. Phone's sure don't work there. Spot? heard of it, never used it. Good advice. Randy

Thanks Randy, it seems we share very similar passions and ideals for riding. :wave

Yeah you should check out the SPOT, it's a solid piece of safety gear, and a good piece of insurance for a small amount of money. Plus your loved ones will feel much better while you're out wandering solo.

I have the SPOT Connect, which allows me to send geo-tagged text messages via satellite, no cell service needed.
I don't use it for socializing, but figure being able to communicate exactly what's going on in the event of an emergency is good.
Or being able to say it's not an emergency, just a mechanical issue that I'm going to need help with is also good.

OK, every once in a while I use it to send messages to friends to rub it in when I'm way out there. :nyah

You can run through the San Rafael Swell (west of the reef) on dirt roads. It is scenic and has rock art panels. At Huntington, pick up the road through Huntington Canyon (check to make sure it is open) to Fairview.

You can head west from Nephi to approach Miller from the South and Dugway. A lot of guys ride the Pony Express Trail out by Dugway, but I usually stick to the pavement.

Coming from the Southeast, you could do Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway, then run up 261 to 95 to Hanksville. If you take 24 out of Hanksville to Temple Mtn. Road, it will take you behind the reef. There are a lot of cool hikes and stuff in the area if you like the desert.

I would recommend a county or BLM map if you go into this area. Carry water.

Back