• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011: The Report

Ok, it's modest mud but Meat Cove gave us a bit of sloppy fun...... and then the sun came out :dance

P1010538.jpg

DSC05683.jpg

DSC05684.jpg

DSC05685.jpg

DSC05687.jpg

Not a lot of mud but it was still fun. Not as much fun as these folks were having back in the '30s I suppose :dunno

DSC05690.jpg

Now we wait to be sure that everyone is up from the twisting road from beautiful Meat Cove.

P1010542.jpg

P1010544.jpg

What! No pic's of that wet, muddy, one lane bridge at the bottom of the ravine
that required a turn in & off of it, so as to change direction up or down that slippery
MOUNTAIN!!! I guess even Mary put the camera down & held on tight for that ride!

:deal
that required a turn in & off of it, so as to change direction up or down that slippery
MOUNTAIN!!! I guess even Mary put the camera down & held on tight for that ride!

I'll see what I can find in the archives. Mostly a memory possibly. So, guess ya gotta be there to experience it! Never lost anyone on it yet though. Now who wants to sign on for 2012? :deal

I know I've been on the odd-year plan, but I'm in.

:clap A lot of interest this year. Will be modifying the registration/waiver form a bit and sending out to those already expressing an interest. Will be in Missouri as well for interested folks.
- Bob

I could not find a picture BUT I did find this little video over on YouTube. It looks like the rider starts in the middle of that turn at the little bridge. Too bad the rider had not started at the camp ground. This video starts at the Meat Cove end. Personally I find that the ride down is a bit more challenging (especially for us non GS folks) but we have not had any difficulties overall. One of the more 'thrilling' parts of the whole ride.

http://youtu.be/ulM-6VrXUwk

NOTE: I COULD NOT GET THIS VIDEO TO EMBED IN POST. CAN ANYONE ELSE ACCOMPLISH THIS? THANKS. Bob

Last edited:
Nice find Bob. Yes, that sunshine & dry 8 mile road, (summer I'm guessing) was really different than our fog & mist enshrouded, recently graded & rained upon slick & muddy 18 mile journey we had!!! Two things seldom observed at Meat Cove: a gravel truck & roller!! They scrape it & HOPE the 28 miles of potholes fill-in! Yes, that was a "thrilling" 38 mile's of constant "challenging" two-up fun. Can we do it again? The chowder was great...

Last edited:
Nice find Bob. Yes, that sunshine & dry 8 mile road, (summer I'm guessing) was really different than our fog & mist enshrouded, recently graded & rained upon slick & muddy 18 mile journey we had!!! Two things seldom observed at Meat Cove: a gravel truck & roller!! They scrape it & HOPE the 28 miles of potholes fill-in! Yes, that was a "thrilling" 38 mile's of constant "challenging" two-up fun. Can we do it again? The chowder was great...

Two years ago the grader went in sometime in August. I did the whole route alone just to check road conditions. My ride into Meat Cove was just after the grader had created almost beach sand terrain. I was weaving like a drunken sailor, as they say, all the way in. That hairpin at the bottom was an experience. Fun though eh? Do it again? Hope so. - Bob

Ok, back to the ride. Leaving Meat Cove we are aiming for the historic Acadian community of Cheticamp (http://cheticamp.ca/) on the west side of Highlands National Park. This is where fuel and food is planned.

This is the route along the coast which will return us to the Canso Causeway and to each their separate ways.

MeatCovetoCausewayMap.jpg

Stop at one of the scenic look offs. As a point of interest, and as important info for those travelling the trail, Parks Canada DOES require the purchase of a group permit to stop at these pull offs. AND there can be a fine if stopped without a permit. We are now negotiating a modest group rate (ie $6 per vehicle). Anyway, here we are stopped at a pull off.

P1010565.jpg

... and yet another highlands view and a photo op moment...

P1010587-1.jpg

Mary and Bob

P1010589-1.jpg

The twisting beautiful road leading us to breakfast and fuel in Cheticamp :eat

P1010571-1.jpg

Last edited:
Bob; I like the idea of taking off a bag & opening a tool roll for the appearance of mechanical issue/repair. Small effort to save $6 times 10 to 12 bikes. I had to adjust that special issue rear luggage support system somewhere anyway! ;)

Bob; I like the idea of taking off a bag & opening a tool roll for the appearance of mechanical issue/repair. Small effort to save $6 times 10 to 12 bikes. I had to adjust that special issue rear luggage support system somewhere anyway! ;)

My understanding is that a malfunction of one does not usually require a large support group :laugh However, I think that something can be arranged. The folks over at the Motorcyclist Guide To Nova Scotia have helped us get in touch with some park resources. Should be able to work something out. But just in case, we may require your assistance to have strategic mechanical issues.

More pics coming soon. - Bob

The people to Bob... Spring is near...

4 day countdown for finishing ride report during winter...
You can do it Bob! Its nearly a wrap... and in record time.
Your closing statement and that pic of you passed out by the fire is all we need!

4 day countdown for finishing ride report during winter...
You can do it Bob! Its nearly a wrap... and in record time.
Your closing statement and that pic of you passed out by the fire is all we need!

No rest fer the GD weary eh John? What fire? Ok, push the money makin' writing aside and git back to the trip. Promise: by Saturday midnight the report will conclude with some additional photos ie Lick A Chick (will that be censored??), some archives of twisting roads and distillery shots, and, the inevitable conclusion at the Canso Causeway. - Bob

At's the spirit!

Though I'm not keen on ya post-pone'in "money make'in write'in"!
You'll need that cash for this years Salty... it allows you to purchase those
"distillery shots" from a new bottle'er two; plus a little grape juice for Mary!
That process provides you deep thought & perspective; often around a fire just
before "retiring" for the evening! And yes; a snack from "Lick-a-Chick" enjoyed
along the shore of Lake Big bras de Or, may be censored! just say'in....

Travel'in John ... Salty Fog 2011 "Breathing is easy, living takes effort"
Privateer Rider
MOA
RA
HOG Life... 01 Road Glide
IBA... National Parks, Diamond

Though I'm not keen on ya post-pone'in "money make'in write'in"!
You'll need that cash for this years Salty... it allows you to purchase those
"distillery shots" from a new bottle'er two; plus a little grape juice for Mary!
That process provides you deep thought & perspective; often around a fire just
before "retiring" for the evening! And yes; a snack from "Lick-a-Chick" enjoyed
along the shore of Lake Big bras de Or, may be censored! just say'in....

Travel'in John ... Salty Fog 2011 "Breathing is easy, living takes effort"
Privateer Rider
MOA
RA
HOG Life... 01 Road Glide
IBA... National Parks, Diamond

Since you brought it up: Snookers had a photo of Lick A Chick in Bras D'Or that I could contribute to this report. Geographically it is located back in the North Sydney area (I cropped it a bit for use here). It (http://www.atyp.com/aklickachick/) is a bit of a local icon. For some reason folks seem to enjoy taking a picture of the building:dunno.

lickachick.jpg

original picture by Snookers

Within short order, food became the collective focus and Cheticamp was in the cross-hairs. In previous tours the Harbour Restaurant and Bar had a fine breakfast available but this year we found that menu discontinued. However, a lunch menu was available. Next year we hope to obtain the fine services of the Chowder Hut at Meat Cove for a 'one off' breakfast arrangement for our group.

P1010600-1.jpg

P1010602.jpg

P1010607.jpg

With the refueling of both riders and machines in beautiful Cheticamp, the group moves on. Hugging coastal Route 19, our next stop is the Glenora Inn and Distillery in Glenville (N46 09.163 W61 19.425, to be precise).

Back