• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011: The Report

0823SaltyFog203.jpg
SFRR Archives 2007 Paul Bachorz

0823SaltyFog204.jpg
]
SFRR Archives 2007 Paul Bachorz

A Peek Inside...

... but had to go to our archives. This is Mary checking out one of the vats.

0823SaltyFog218.jpg

SFRR Archives: Photo by Paul Bachorz 2007

Excellent tour information and, of course, a wee dram to sample.

0823SaltyFog216.jpg

SFRR Archives: Photo by Paul Bachorz 2007

Time to depart. A couple of riders left to race for the Prince Edward Island ferry while the remaining riders gathered for the short ride to the Canso Causeway and their ride home.

DSC05698.jpg

DSC05702.jpg

Approaching the Causeway to the mainland.

P1010656.jpg

Last edited:
Crossing the Causeway, we traditionally gather at the Irving Big Stop to fuel and gather for so farewells. This part always feels a bit sad because over the course of six days good times and good friends have evolved.

DSC05704.jpg

DSC05708.jpg

DSC05715.jpg

DSC05716.jpg

.... and one by one each is off for their individual adventures and home

DSC05717.jpg

DSC05721.jpg

...and Mary and I head back to Larry's River to relax, reflect on the good times that we just experienced and enjoy the sunset

DSC05748.jpg

...and think about plans for the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2012....year five.

Thanks for tuning in to this Ride Report and hope that you have an opportunity to join us in the future. Thank you VERY much to all of our Salty Fog Alumni who have returned and helped us in many ways.

END

DSC05758.jpg

Those last two pictures are a nice ending to the narrative, Bob.

Thanks again to you and Mary for your hospitality and rally planning. :thumb

Bob and Mary,

A BIG thanks from Texas for putting this on!!!!! :clap :clap :clap

If I could afford it I would be there this year as I know I did not get to see all that there was to see.

Still waiting on the recipe for the endless soup tho.. Hmmm guess I am going to have to threaten to come up there and beat it out of ya.. :)

I am at this time planning on attending the MOA rally so hopefully I will see both of you there.

To all of the others: Very happy to have met ya and look forward to seeing you again!!!

Peace, Love and Chicken Grease

Bob and Mary,

A BIG thanks from Texas for putting this on!!!!! :clap :clap :clap

If I could afford it I would be there this year as I know I did not get to see all that there was to see.

Still waiting on the recipe for the endless soup tho.. Hmmm guess I am going to have to threaten to come up there and beat it out of ya.. :)

I am at this time planning on attending the MOA rally so hopefully I will see both of you there.

To all of the others: Very happy to have met ya and look forward to seeing you again!!!

Peace, Love and Chicken Grease

Lots of fun and great company makes it easier to do. Mary is recreating that soup in the very near future so that she can write down a recipe. AND, if you're coming up for it then we'll have to put on a second large pot :laugh:eat Glad that you were able to make it. See you at the MOA rally. - Bob

Both of you are a tease.. :laugh I sure can smell and taste it now..

2nd big pot for me?? I think you have me completely confused by some others that were about to eat the pot too.. Not going to mention the real names here for fear of a visit from PABob and Travlin John... :bolt

Tom your hired!!!!!

Both of you are a tease.. :laugh I sure can smell and taste it now..

2nd big pot for me?? I think you have me completely confused by some others that were about to eat the pot too.. Not going to mention the real names here for fear of a visit from PABob and Travlin John... :bolt

Tom your hired!!!!!

With temps today heading for about 65F here in LR we think Tom should be here about supper time! :dunno We hope that this year's rally will continue the enthusiasm for the food and riding. In another month it will be time to start putting out info on SFRR 2012. Hard to believe that time goes so fast (especially for us older sorts :gerg - Bob

Last edited:
It was 81 in Boston yesterday and the same is predicted for today and tomorrow. Normal high for March is mid 40's. We've been running that +10 to +20 all month.

It was 81 in Boston yesterday and the same is predicted for today and tomorrow. Normal high for March is mid 40's. We've been running that +10 to +20 all month.

The way things are going with the weather our September rally date will feel more like mid August..... but without the tourist traffic :clap Today in LR it is about 70 F. Crazy. - Bob

A note for those thinking about attending: The Salty Fog Riders Rally 2012 will be held on September 3- 7 with an Early Arrival opportunity on the 2nd. More information will be forthcoming over the next month. - Bob

Its a long way, but...

all thing falling into place... I think we could; we know we want to be there!
Certainly plenty left to see your way. And, we really-really like that area!
While this is not a RSVP... we'll talk. Its our loss & we cant taste the soup
if we're not there!
Travel'in John & Dara
Different BMW wanna-be's... let the Road Glide rest, those tube tyres worry me
when your way.

Me too, and I have some friends (couple from Pa) that are interested. As soon as your ready let us know. I really wanted to get out onto PEI after your ride, maybe this year.

John - I was really impressed with your Harley and the way it handled the road into Meat Cove. Those big slick (almost no thread) 180mm tires on my Beemer were sliding all over the place and asking the bike to stop on a downhill was more a suggestion than a command. I could go for more aggressive tires but I'm getting almost 10K out of those Michelin Pilot Road 3s and they work nicely on the road..

The only thing that got me over that road was repeating the mantra "don't fall down" over and over.

Hey Harry... :wave

You really did not have to worry about letting it sleep for a bit.. There were plenty of camera's ... Err Ummm People there to help ya pick it up.

Hey Harry II...
I saw that; thinking does my 1150R "do-dat"? And if the deed occurs, will the Texas
GS connection lift a Harley! :blush Really though, if your 12R was "fun" in the mud,
then Dennis was just "giddy" on the Triumph Trophy....
:drink That was indeed a fine "beverage" Dara & I enjoyed on arrival at the Cove!
Remember... I pulled straight-in and stopped with Melencamp push'in serious jam ...
thankfull to be rubber side down!
But ready to do it again I am... is there a better spot anywhere to have a chowder?
Gonna make sure Tom & Paul make it for the Bob & Mary's "edge uh earth gathering"
this year.... yet, lord help us all if PA Bob's LT needed a "lift" on that downhill!

Back