Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: using Pay Pal for selling a Motorcycle

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Waikoloa, Hawaii
    Posts
    41

    using Pay Pal for selling a Motorcycle

    Hi: I have sold 3 motorcycles recently and bought a 2009 R1200rt and I love it. Often I get people who call and want to buy my bike using Pay Pal. I have used Pay Pal for many items up to about $500. I was always unsure of selling a bike for $10,000 ON PAY PAL, didn't want to get scammed, but it seems it would be difficult on Pay Pal. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with large ticket items on Pay Pal. I know they always warn about wire transfers and cashiers checks. thanks Woody

  2. #2
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,610
    I bought my R25/2 using PayPal after winning the bid on ebay. I don't have much experience doing that...other than a smaller purchase recently, that's all I've ever done with PayPal. Worked for me.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,867
    I bought an RV using Paypal a few years ago.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  4. #4
    Registered User natrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oakley, CA
    Posts
    221
    Not sure if this applies to big ticket items, but the old Paypal scam used to be that someone would buy something from you using their credit card through Paypal. You'd ship the item, then they'd dispute the charge with their credit card company that would take the money back from Paypal. Paypal had no recourse except to take the money back from the seller (yes, they would pull it back out of your bank account). I know a lot of people who got burned by this and it caused me to avoid Paypal for a while. I'm not sure their terms have gotten much better so beware.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

  5. #5
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    83
    I've used PayPal to sell a bike, worked well for me. Transaction was smooth, the buyer even arranged a shipping company to come pick up the bike, that went flawless as well.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11
    Yes,
    My wife bought her Triumph Daytona and used paypal to pay. The seller wasn't sure how it all worked, but we've used PAypal since they were their own entity (pre ebay purchase) and have never had issues. Man she bought it from was a cop so he probably felt pretty comfortable with the deal. lol. I also sold a vintage guitar recently and accepted Paypal on that (over $8K). Perfect transaction. With
    Ebay using it as their main payment method for years and years, it can't be too bad I guess.
    To top it off, I own a woodworking business and process all my financials through a paypal webstore on my website.

    I'm really not sure how someone would "scam" someone else using Paypal. They have an investigative process they go through for normal sales if there's a dispute.

    I guess there are ways to do it, but I imagine if you vette the buyer and feel comfortable with it, it can open some doors for potential sales.

    It's a pain having to wait up to 3 business days to transfer from paypal to a regular bank account when you want to buy something NOW.
    2000 R1100RS
    2002 Meanstreak 1500

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Not sure if this applies to big ticket items, but the old Paypal scam used to be that someone would buy something from you using their credit card through Paypal. You'd ship the item, then they'd dispute the charge with their credit card company that would take the money back from Paypal. Paypal had no recourse except to take the money back from the seller (yes, they would pull it back out of your bank account). I know a lot of people who got burned by this and it caused me to avoid Paypal for a while. I'm not sure their terms have gotten much better so beware.
    Ah, OK so that's what would happen. So yeah, maybe the friends and family method of accepting payment would be the way to go. I don't think those can be disputed.
    2000 R1100RS
    2002 Meanstreak 1500

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach CA
    Posts
    84
    Another thing to consider is the fee from PayPal. They don't do that service for nothing and I don't think there are too many $10K gifts out there.

  9. #9
    Registered User natrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oakley, CA
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by cigars View Post
    Ah, OK so that's what would happen. So yeah, maybe the friends and family method of accepting payment would be the way to go. I don't think those can be disputed.
    The friends and family method is often the one scammed as there was no actual product delivered. If you had proof of delivery on a payment for goods, then you would have some seller protection and Paypal could at least investigate. I honestly don't know if the scamming is still going on lately. My experience with it was several years ago.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 28k - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast" - 28k - sold
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - sold

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by cigars View Post
    Yes,

    I'm really not sure how someone would "scam" someone else using Paypal. They have an investigative process they go through for normal sales if there's a dispute.

    I guess there are ways to do it, but I imagine if you vette the buyer and feel comfortable with it, it can open some doors for potential sales.
    Let me tell you a way! My '09 12GS had a rear ESA shock go bad. BMW sent a new one under wty. I decided to go with new Wilburs. Kept the shock un-opened in the box. A rider traveling in Bolivia lost his rear shock and posted on several BMW sites. I sold him my new in the box rear shock for $525 + $37 shipping. About 1/3 of what they sell for. A month later he went to PP and claimed the shock was bad. They had him ship the shock back to me. What arrived was his broken shock. PP tried to get the money back from me. I sent pics of the broken shock and had the svc. mgr at BMW dealer send a letter stating that the shock was new in an un-opened box when shipped. PP ignored all this and is now sending me collection letters. I can no longer use PP and my credit is being dinged.

    Sadly the rider does not live in the US so I can't visit him.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

    ride till you can't

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    68
    PayPal for a deposit only. The balance as USPS M/O. Paypal dings you for 3%.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Let me tell you a way! My '09 12GS had a rear ESA shock go bad. BMW sent a new one under wty. I decided to go with new Wilburs. Kept the shock un-opened in the box. A rider traveling in Bolivia lost his rear shock and posted on several BMW sites. I sold him my new in the box rear shock for $525 + $37 shipping. About 1/3 of what they sell for. A month later he went to PP and claimed the shock was bad. They had him ship the shock back to me. What arrived was his broken shock. PP tried to get the money back from me. I sent pics of the broken shock and had the svc. mgr at BMW dealer send a letter stating that the shock was new in an un-opened box when shipped. PP ignored all this and is now sending me collection letters. I can no longer use PP and my credit is being dinged.

    Sadly the rider does not live in the US so I can't visit him.
    Holy smokes that's just ridiculous. I figured paypal would have some decent seller protection but it really doesn't sound like it in this case.
    I hate that there are so many scams/scammers out there. I know I get hammered with them any time I listed something on Craigslist, but I always figured paypal had a better system in place what with it being the ebay payment method.

    On the plus side of folks NOT accepting paypal, I'd be riding a Yamaha FJR right now if the seller did. Thought it was "the one". Went home to transfer funds and stumbled across the BMW for sale.
    2000 R1100RS
    2002 Meanstreak 1500

  13. #13
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Let me tell you a way! My '09 12GS had a rear ESA shock go bad. BMW sent a new one under wty. I decided to go with new Wilburs. Kept the shock un-opened in the box. A rider traveling in Bolivia lost his rear shock and posted on several BMW sites. I sold him my new in the box rear shock for $525 + $37 shipping. About 1/3 of what they sell for. A month later he went to PP and claimed the shock was bad. They had him ship the shock back to me. What arrived was his broken shock. PP tried to get the money back from me. I sent pics of the broken shock and had the svc. mgr at BMW dealer send a letter stating that the shock was new in an un-opened box when shipped. PP ignored all this and is now sending me collection letters. I can no longer use PP and my credit is being dinged.

    Sadly the rider does not live in the US so I can't visit him.
    May be he sent back the one he had and got yours for free in the process. This is a good cautionary tale.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  14. #14
    Registered User 195153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Carolina / USA
    Posts
    5

    Cash is King

    I have sold motorcycles, RV's, and jet-skis and every time I used Craigslist and included that "the financial transaction will occur in a bank." That is, buyer gives cash money to my banker and banker notarizes the title and hands it to buyer. If the buyer can't or is unwilling to those terms, no sale. I had one guy hand me 10 $100-bills to hold the RV for two weeks till he came back with the rest of the cash. I gave him a hand written receipt. He came back in 2 weeks with more $100 bills. The sale was flawless.
    2012 R1200RT

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    May be he sent back the one he had and got yours for free in the process. This is a good cautionary tale.
    Of course that's what happened.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

    ride till you can't

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •