Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: clutch spline lube, @ 32ks?

g rad

clutch spline lube, @ 32ks?

Haven't seen much about lubing the spline on my 2011 GSA.. Does anyone recommend it? That BMW mechanic on youtube Chris Harris, discusses clutch R1150 problems of not using the full length of spline on the trans input shaft.. I'm hoping that that was corrected on the later years... I realize that it would be a involved job, removing rear subframe etc. Just wondering if anyone has done it..

Quote Originally Posted by g rad View Post
    Haven't seen much about lubing the spline on my 2011 GSA.. Does anyone recommend it? That BMW mechanic on youtube Chris Harris, discusses clutch R1150 problems of not using the full length of spline on the trans input shaft.. I'm hoping that that was corrected on the later years... I realize that it would be a involved job, removing rear subframe etc. Just wondering if anyone has done it..
    I understand that's not an issue on the 1200s. I'm not aware of anyone who routinely lubes the clutch spline like you had to do on the 1100s.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g rad View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Where ya been
    If you need any help- just ask.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Every time I say that I'd probably do it, Don Eilenberger responds that there have been very very few failures on the 1200s. Then I say, time will tell. It is hard to have data when there is scant evidence of failure.

So, take your pick and take your chances.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Every time I say that I'd probably do it, Don Eilenberger responds that there have been very very few failures on the 1200s. Then I say, time will tell. It is hard to have data when there is scant evidence of failure.

So, take your pick and take your chances.
    i know of one spline failure on a 2013RT....MINE at about 21000 miles

Input Large.jpgClutch Large.jpg\
    ~wyman~

2015 S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

It looks ugly!

Thanks Wyman

Those photos look just like a lot I have seen of 1150 and 1100 bikes.

Which leaves me not exactly sure what to say.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Wyman, I remember you posting when this happened, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone else report this??? And this doesn't strike me as a function of lubricant, which is what OP asked about initially. Seems to me this is simply the torque overcame the material structure (which is really what the 1100 problem was - insufficient spline engagement by design).

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Thanks Wyman

Those photos look just like a lot I have seen of 1150 and 1100 bikes.

Which leaves me not exactly sure what to say.
    Ok.I have a feeling of hard use of clutch.Only one question turning in my head.....Lost Rider aka Joe Finn.Destroid the drive shaft but not the clutch!!!???Sooo...it makes me thinking....Starting with rubber burning...wheelies...I don't know.But looking on the driveshaft and the plate ,it sugjest mee a really hard driving.And -or using the clutch all the time.Lost Rider did cca100,000mls on roadless roads not destroying the splinn...just wondering.But probably He could tell us more from the first hand.In the other hand it might bee not enaugh heat treat in factory production,...simply this kind of wear is not normal at all.If it is properly heat trietened,there should not bee a wear at all.If it is overtreatened,it would brake like a glass.Conclusion:mistake in manufacturing.That whot I am suspicious.

BRGDS,Steve

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice pictures of the failure Wyman~
    FWIW, I have seen this type of failure in truck transmissions (power take-off) to hydraulic pumps. The PTO shaft engages matching splines in, say, a 3 section hydraulic pump. The cause is always blamed on lubrication- but I don't know. Worse thing about it is that you have a perfectly good PTO and a perfectly good pump that won't mate up.
    The cure is usually new parts (both) due to rebuild expense vs ready to go parts. I have done "git-home" repairs in the field to enable hydraulic service but it is a PITA.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Wyman, I remember you posting when this happened, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone else report this??? And this doesn't strike me as a function of lubricant, which is what OP asked about initially. Seems to me this is simply the torque overcame the material structure (which is really what the 1100 problem was - insufficient spline engagement by design).

JayJay
    Chris Harris also posited that riding style may affect it. He thought that people that get into 6th gear too soon had problems. In other words, people that babied it. He said that GS riders that were revving more never had problems, but it was the people that loaf along at 3000 RPM in a too high a gear.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Chris Harris also posited that riding style may affect it. He thought that people that get into 6th gear too soon had problems. In other words, people that babied it. He said that GS riders that were revving more never had problems, but it was the people that loaf along at 3000 RPM in a too high a gear.
    i would agree that "babying" may me a cause, but not in my case.....most of the time i wring Sassy's neck....she loves being in the powerband....6500rpm plus.....

i was told that BMW had not seen this type of failure on the 2010-2013 R types.....since the warranty repair the bike has been flawless to 54000 miles in less than two years.....AND she is on her 8th set of tires...that should indicate how she is ridden...
    ~wyman~

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    i would agree that "babying" may me a cause, but not in my case.....most of the time i wring Sassy's neck....she loves being in the powerband....6500rpm plus.....

i was told that BMW had not seen this type of failure on the 2010-2013 R types.....since the warranty repair the bike has been flawless to 54000 miles in less than two years.....AND she is on her 8th set of tires...that should indicate how she is ridden...
    Then I would chalk it up to defective parts.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Then I would chalk it up to defective parts.
    i agree....

when i bought the RT and rode it home i never noticed any shifting problems...sure not silky smooth like most rice burners, but no issues.....i took it in for its 600 mile running in service and from that point until the splines let loose the down shifting was different.....it would hold the rpms up slightly and i would have to blip the throttle to get it to down shift....i was told by the dealer where i bought the bike from that "that's the way BMWs shift"....not hardly...after the repair the gearbox shifts perfectly....so, i can only attribute it to my lack of knowledge and a defect in the parts and/or assembly....the Techs at BMW MC of Long Beach did the repair BTW.....i will never go back to where i bought the RT.....zero customer service....
    ~wyman~

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    i agree....

when i bought the RT and rode it home i never noticed any shifting problems...sure not silky smooth like most rice burners, but no issues.....i took it in for its 600 mile running in service and from that point until the splines let loose the down shifting was different.....it would hold the rpms up slightly and i would have to blip the throttle to get it to down shift....i was told by the dealer where i bought the bike from that "that's the way BMWs shift"....not hardly...after the repair the gearbox shifts perfectly....so, i can only attribute it to my lack of knowledge and a defect in the parts and/or assembly....the Techs at BMW MC of Long Beach did the repair BTW.....i will never go back to where i bought the RT.....zero customer service....
    This is an absolute classic description of a dry, unlubricated spline. We began describing these symptoms with Airheads in the '70s, K bikes in the '80s, and Oilheads in the '90s. If your bike acts like this - needing double clutching like an old milk truck - you are headed to a failure unless you inspect, lubricate, or replace as needed.