• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cage route from Santa Fe, NM to Lake City, CO

alphashifter

I've got a non-motorcycling brain-picker for anybody here who may have traveled the well worn path between TX and south-western CO.

If you had to get from Santa Fe, NM to Lake City, CO (in a front wheel drive cage with chains, appropriate clothing, shovel etc.) on a day with snow in the forecast (this Thursday), which route would you take?

• Scenic route on over Wolf Creek Pass with risk of spending the whole freakin' day on the road?

• The more gradual climb on 285 through Antonito, Alamosa, Monte Vista?

I'm hoping for sunshine but preparing for winter storm hell.

Sure appreciate any input!

Well, if you have the time, it would be more scenic passing through Pagosa Springs, then over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork, then over to Lake City via the great CO 149. I'm not sure what the snow forecast is (how much snow) for Wolf Creek, but would mention it is a wide, re-engineered pass, that is not tricky as passes go when there is serious snow.

If you go here for the latest conditions... http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm there are live cams on U.S. 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, and smartphone versions of this web site can give you the same live cam images. Perhaps you will have a moment to check out the latest conditions before departure.

BTW, according to Google Maps, it is nine miles longer (195 vs 186) going the Wolf Creek Pass route to South Fork, and it will be a slower 195 miles.

I'm not sure what the snow forecast is (how much snow) for Wolf Creek, but would mention it is a wide, re-engineered pass, that is not tricky as passes go when there is serious snow.
That's exactly the kind of info I wanted to see...If it was springtime and I was on the Beemer, it'd be a no-brainer.

If you go here for the latest conditions... http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm there are live cams on U.S. 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, and smartphone versions of this web site can give you the same live cam images.
That's good info...Searched CDOT but didn't see cams on either of those routes.

BTW, according to Google Maps, it is nine miles longer (195 vs 186) going the Wolf Creek Pass route to South Fork, and it will be a slower 195 miles.
Ya know...Terrain and evil winter vortices can transform an additional 9 miles into an additional 24 hours...
Thanks for the input. I look fwd to meeting you.

Back