• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

planing trip to costa rica and panama..

coolchange

1/29/2012 ...Im planing a trip on my r1100rt to costa rica then on to Panama this summer. intersted in traveling with another rider.have been to both costa rica and panama many times but this is the first time on a motorcycle.have always flown befor. I dont speak much spanish. only enough to order food and drink. If anyone is heading that way i would like to hear from you and maybe travel togather. feel free to mail me at coolchange33@yahoo.com. BMWMOA #118252

Hi

1/29/2012 ...Im planing a trip on my r1100rt to costa rica then on to Panama this summer. intersted in traveling with another rider.have been to both costa rica and panama many times but this is the first time on a motorcycle.have always flown befor. I dont speak much spanish. only enough to order food and drink. If anyone is heading that way i would like to hear from you and maybe travel togather. feel free to mail me at coolchange33@yahoo.com. BMWMOA #118252

I am replying to your message not because I can go with you but because I hated to see your post sit here unanswered. Also, to encourage you to go even if you don't find another rider. I have been all over Mexico, solo, but never to Central America; I would think if you can get through Mexico (considering the hostel environment ) then Central American will be a piece of cake. I never had any trouble in Mexico but it was in the 70's and 80's when I was there. One of the members, I think it's " Kantuckid" just came back from a Mexico trip; he should be able to give you valuable information. Good luck with your search and trip.

My last trip was March,2011 and I was afraid to go this winter(based on a several month sciatic nerve issue) as concerned about too long a ride too soon. Feel free to PM me for more info. You can also talk to the guys in the AZ club as some go down too. ADVrider, Trip Planning,Americas, is THE place to search & get more than most have time to read! There is a thread"Is Mexico Safe" which is ~ 430 pages long now & has turned into a BS session to a large degree but the regulars on that thread(been a sticky for some time now) will help answer questions.
As to will you die there, I really, really doubt it. As to does Mexico have a serious problem in dealing with the cartels,YES!The none drug related murder rate is higher in Puerto Rico than Mexico. I do tire of some who will tell you that the wrong parts of Detroit or L.A. are more dangerous but seriously who rides there for recreational purposes? If your trip has to be in the summer(I never go then) it helps the ride to stay at the higher elevations & nicely that gets you in the twisties too! I can suggest a route or crossing help,etc.. Change your dates & maybe I'm interested...

I stumbled upon your post today. I did Chicago to Panam?í in December 2011 solo, and had no problems whatsoever. Never felt unsafe or in any kind of danger at any moment during the trip. Rode at night, too. A link to my ride report is below, and of course please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. You just need to pick a date and go. You won't regret it.

Back