• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Robb leaves BMW

David Robb was born in Boston Massachusetts. His father was a missionary and moved the family to Kobe Japan where he grew up. He graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California., Robb will turn 56 this year.

His first job after college was with Chrysler in their Advanced Studio. That lasted 11 months then cutbacks cost him his job. He went to Europe with the goal of getting a job at Opel. He received and offer but in the interim had done other interviews and took a job with Audi. He joined BMW in 1984. He started on the automobile side of the company as an exterior designer and was promoted to head of the exterior studio before taking over as motorrad head of design in 1993.

An earlier poster commented on 'churn' in BMW executives. Beyond reading every Rolls-Royce press release I don't follow the cage side of the company much at all. What I have notice with motorrad executives is they often end up in more senior positions on the cage side after 'making their executive bones' in the motorrad segment.

My guess is there is much more to this story than an argument with von Kűenheim over the Lo Rider production concept. I would be more surprised to hear he has not taken something that interests him within BMW. Given the point he is at in his career, age and the point where BMW Motorrad/Husqvarna are at with product development it is as logical a time to transition the head of design for the segment. Any way you look at it I doubt it is change for change sake.

BMW is said to be looking at new markets. It is not clear if that means model types, national or both. Combing that with a new direction for Husqvarna and how they mesh with the Mothership we are in for some interesting developments.

Well maybe now the R-RS will make a return.

Not likely. BMW knows that the top two reasons that people buy a given motorcycle are 1) the magazine reviews, and 2) the test ride - in that order. Pieter de Waal told me directly that the RS-type bikes are gone because they didn't test at the top of any recognized category of motorcycles (as defined by the motorcycle press). He said BMW can not afford to build bikes that don't test at at the top or near top of these categories, and because the RS was a jack of all trades and master of none (my words), it had to go. That breaks my heart as I've always been an RS-guy, but I can see the marketing realities of this decision. I'm keeping my K1200RS until they throw the dirt over me. :D

BMW is said to be looking at new markets. It is not clear if that means model types, national or both. Combing that with a new direction for Husqvarna and how they mesh with the Mothership we are in for some interesting developments.

Very well said!:lurk:lurk

Whatever the reasons corporate of personal I wish the best in the next chapter in his life and... Thanks for the R1200RT and the new scooter.

David Robb listened - we wanted lower bikes, lighter bikes . . . . . at his talk at Machine in the Garden at the Boston Architectural Center several years ago he said they were coming - and they came.

Muriel

I'm still waitin on a R51/2, it's lower and lighter. :thumb

Whatever the reasons corporate of personal I wish the best in the next chapter in his life and... Thanks for the R1200RT and the new scooter.

Ditto!

Kind of felt comforting, having a 'colonist' in charge of BMW design this last decade or two.

Best of luck, David, and again.............. THANKS! for the R1200RT! :dance

David Robb listened - we wanted lower bikes, lighter bikes . . . . . at his talk at Machine in the Garden at the Boston Architectural Center several years ago he said they were coming - and they came.

Muriel

Which lower and lighter bikes? Other than the F's?

Which lower and lighter bikes? Other than the F's?

All of the Cam/Hex Heads are significantly lighter, and perhaps a bit lower (or at least, less wide at the rider's seat, which is often the same thing) than their Oilhead predecessors (which were initially designed before he took over).

For example, there's another thread that's fairly current where the R-R style bikes were compared and the R1200R is just a few pounds heavier than the last R100R, and about 40 lbs. lighter than the R1150R.

Folks, here's your golden opportunity for fame and fortune.

Now that the position is open maybe some of the MOA members who know exactly what type bikes BMW should build (many, many threads) should apply for the job. :)

'Atta boy, Paul! :rofl

Well the R1200 was lighter than the R1150 - across the board: ie GS to GS, RT to RT, etc.

With the advent of the modern GS's, I've assumed that everything is going the way of Hummers.

There is the chance that I might not be correct....possibly.

Last edited:
David Robb was born in Boston Massachusetts. His father was a missionary and moved the family to Kobe Japan where he grew up. He graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California., Robb will turn 56 this year.

His first job after college was with Chrysler in their Advanced Studio. That lasted 11 months then cutbacks cost him his job. He went to Europe with the goal of getting a job at Opel. He received and offer but in the interim had done other interviews and took a job with Audi. He joined BMW in 1984. He started on the automobile side of the company as an exterior designer and was promoted to head of the exterior studio before taking over as motorrad head of design in 1993.

An earlier poster commented on 'churn' in BMW executives. Beyond reading every Rolls-Royce press release I don't follow the cage side of the company much at all. What I have notice with motorrad executives is they often end up in more senior positions on the cage side after 'making their executive bones' in the motorrad segment.

My guess is there is much more to this story than an argument with von Kűenheim over the Lo Rider production concept. I would be more surprised to hear he has not taken something that interests him within BMW. Given the point he is at in his career, age and the point where BMW Motorrad/Husqvarna are at with product development it is as logical a time to transition the head of design for the segment. Any way you look at it I doubt it is change for change sake.

Well said...

My guess is that he is not leaving BMW, but will be moved to another position. It will take a little time to work out the details and contracts.

If he is gone from BMW, just think of the 'tell all' book he could write! :whistle

E

BMW will probably have him sign a nondisclosier statement? :lurk

You need to sign that to get hired! :deal

And if you ever reveal the furnace where they melt down each monthly batch of botched FD's, they will hunt you down and bring a new meaning to 'termination!"

You need to sign that to get hired! :deal

And if you ever reveal the furnace where they melt down each monthly batch of botched FD's, they will hunt you down and bring a new meaning to 'termination!"

Melt down? I thought they sold them to MOA members! Maybe I was wrong.

If he was responsible for all the wierd impractical designs that came from BMW since the airheads demise then I for one am glad he's gone.

BMW makes large, ungainly, heavy motorcycles. Maybe their management is realizing that the emerging markets are in China, India, Indonesia, etc.

If he was responsible for all the wierd impractical designs that came from BMW since the airheads demise then I for one am glad he's gone.

BMW makes large, ungainly, heavy motorcycles. Maybe their management is realizing that the emerging markets are in China, India, Indonesia, etc.

While you're certainly free to your opinion, I, for one, could not disagree more. I think he's done a fine job, and obviously riders spoke with their wallets. BMW's sales have done better these last few years than most other manufacturers. Clearly those folk didn't share your view.

Yes, interesting. A lot of product line overlap. Not that there is a complete overlap, but there is some product cannibalization. BMW volume may be up, but I doubt profit is keeping pace.

Depends on how you view things.

2011 is the first year that BMW AG gives BMW and Husqvarna numbers in their business reports. From their perspective increased sales volumes were translated into higher revenues. Reading on a bit you see the picture is not simple.

The BMW numbers are up in sales and production while systems in place controlled inventory and production costs. BMW tends to front end load cost related to models so the Roundel revenue numbers are currently up in part to that.

Husqvarna operates primarily in the under 500cc market which has been hit hard. They have had much more difficulty controlling production v demand. In Q3 the hops counters in Munich front end loaded a bunch of costs related to the revamping/integration of Husqvarna.

I don't see this as throwing good money after bad; quite the contrary. Finding the right models and production numbers will be a very big challenge. The future golden egg I see is the underused production capacity in the Husqvarna plant. Money spent now should reap dividends in the future as production of Red and Blue bikes, engines and parts ramp up there.

From the BMW AG Q3 Report
Motorcycles segment revenues up
Increased sales volumes were translated into higher
revenues
for the Motorcycle segment both in the quarter
(euro 334 million; +14.8%) and for the nine-month period
(euro 1,181 million; +9.3%). As a result of the strategic
realignment of the Husqvarna Group, the segment
recorded
a negative EBIT of euro 16 million (2010: positive
EBIT of euro 2 million) for the third-quarter. EBIT
for the nine-month period was a positive euro 62 million
(ÔÇô29.5%). As a consequence of these developments,
earnings for the Motorcycles segment were down on the
previous year, with a third-quarter loss before tax of euro
17 million (2010: euro 0 million) and a nine-month profit
before tax of euro 60 million (ÔÇô27.7%).

Muriel

For me great designers often are the ones whose designs elicit drastically different reactions from people. Obviously Robb's designs do that. He brought us smaller light bikes while building two wheeled Panzers; both of which we asked for. I lust for some and thing others are boring turds on wheels. Hero or villain I wish him well what ever he does on Monday and where ever that is.

Back