• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Robb leaves BMW

David Robb was born in Boston Massachusetts. His father was a missionary and moved the family to Kobe Japan where he grew up. He graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California., Robb will turn 56 this year.

His first job after college was with Chrysler in their Advanced Studio. That lasted 11 months then cutbacks cost him his job. He went to Europe with the goal of getting a job at Opel. He received and offer but in the interim had done other interviews and took a job with Audi. He joined BMW in 1984. He started on the automobile side of the company as an exterior designer and was promoted to head of the exterior studio before taking over as motorrad head of design in 1993.

An earlier poster commented on 'churn' in BMW executives. Beyond reading every Rolls-Royce press release I don't follow the cage side of the company much at all. What I have notice with motorrad executives is they often end up in more senior positions on the cage side after 'making their executive bones' in the motorrad segment.

My guess is there is much more to this story than an argument with von Kűenheim over the Lo Rider production concept. I would be more surprised to hear he has not taken something that interests him within BMW. Given the point he is at in his career, age and the point where BMW Motorrad/Husqvarna are at with product development it is as logical a time to transition the head of design for the segment. Any way you look at it I doubt it is change for change sake.

BMW is said to be looking at new markets. It is not clear if that means model types, national or both. Combing that with a new direction for Husqvarna and how they mesh with the Mothership we are in for some interesting developments.

"I would be more surprised to hear he has not taken something that interests him within BMW. Given the point he is at in his career, age..."

I think that BMW summarily tosses you out the door at 60. The chance that he would be offered something at BMW - especially since no job announcement preceded his departure - seems to me that he is done with BMW. This may be an opportunity for BMW competitors, assuming there isn't a "no-compete" clause in his contract.

Melt down? I thought they sold them to MOA members! Maybe I was wrong.

Paul - the ones tossed into the melting furnace were the failed FD's that BMW spirits away to Germany from the local dealerships after they've been pulled from the bikes of unfortunate owners - like the one that puked on my RT! :doh

I thought his designs were excellent and he definitely changed the landscape, not just for BMW but for the entire industry.

Comes from a very talented family also, isn't his brother the lead singer for Hoobastank?

Well said...

My guess is that he is not leaving BMW, but will be moved to another position. It will take a little time to work out the details and contracts.

If he is gone from BMW, just think of the 'tell all' book he could write! :whistle

E

(from BMW Press Release 01/30/2012)
"New Head of Design for BMW Motorrad. Edgar Heinrich takes over the BMW Group's BMW Motorrad Design Studio.

Munich. Edgar Heinrich (53) will be taking over the BMW Group's BMW Motorrad Design Studio as of July 1st 2012. He succeeds David Robb. After completing his university degree in design, Edgar Heinrich started his career as a motorcycle designer with BMW back in 1986. Within the BMW GroupÔÇÖs BMW Motorrad Design Studio he was Head of Vehicle Design Motorcycles under the overall direction of David Robb from 2007 to 2009.
"David Robb (56), the previous head of the BMW Group Motorcycle Design Studio, has left the company. He was in charge of BMW Motorrad design for 18 years. Under his leadership, the design team elaborated the development of the BMW Motorrad product portfolio from three to a current total of six model lines, as well as creating the extensive product range of BMW Motorrad rider equipment and motorcycle accessories.
"Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design: "I would like to thank David Robb for his many years of successful work and wish him all the very best for the future." [end Press Release quote]

(In the usual bland corporate-speak,) there is no further info on Robb's future
in this Press Release.

We can all speculate 'till more info becomes public elsewhere :dunno:blah

Interesting...

If BMW AG decides to market a "Low Rider", I'm in.

I actually like the design, a lot, and I'd trade/sell my H-D for a BMW "Low Rider"...

Cheers,

B

Not for Long

Munich. Edgar Heinrich (53) will be taking over the BMW Group's BMW Motorrad Design Studio as of July 1st 2012.

I wonder if they told him he would only have the job for a couple of years?

+1 on a Lo rider, of course I loved my R1200C which my wife never lets me forget I should not have sold. A Lo Rider would blunt the pain.

Melt down? I thought they sold them to MOA members! Maybe I was wrong.

Haven't been here for a while and have to say that I just spewed Diet Coke all over my laptop due to your remark Paul. Very, very, very funny. :thumb:thumb:thumb

From the link, BMW styling looks like it will be in good hands;

During his time with BMW Motorrad, Edgar Heinrich was responsible for such vehicles as the first 4-valve boxer models R 1100 RS and RT, the K 1200 S and R, the HP Megamoto and the victorious Paris-Dakar racing machines. The successful R 1150 GS and R 1200 GS were also created on his drawing board.

Under his direction, the motorcycle design team created the S 1000 RR, the F 800 / 650 series, the G 450 X and also the BMW Custom Concept study. Heinrich was even involved at the start of the design development of the 6‑cylinder touring bikes and the new maxi-scooters.

Motorcycles take up a large part of his leisure time, too. His passions include modifying sports bikes, restoring and collecting vintage models and in particular riding motorcycles himself – both on and off the road.

Speaking with David Robb early one morning at a rally a few years ago was quite interesting. He said he doesn't really design the bikes but styles the chassis/engine/drivetrain platform that's developed by the other engineers. He has to work around what's given to him more than one would think.

I believe posts 58-61 of this thread may be a result of the hacking of this site.

I see they have now been removed.

Last edited:
If he was responsible for all the wierd impractical designs that came from BMW since the airheads demise then I for one am glad he's gone.

BMW makes large, ungainly, heavy motorcycles. Maybe their management is realizing that the emerging markets are in China, India, Indonesia, etc.

Ummm... are you maybe confusing Beemers with Harleys ?? (K12LT excepted :D)

Design term seems misunderstood here

Speaking with David Robb early one morning at a rally a few years ago was quite interesting. He said he doesn't really design the bikes but styles the chassis/engine/drivetrain platform that's developed by the other engineers. He has to work around what's given to him more than one would think.

Right.

A lot of riders don't understand what the term "design" means in motorcycles. At BMW, the engineers are responsible for the engine, drive train, chassis, and most of the mechanically functioning parts of the bike. The designers are responsible for the appearance of the bike. They will request that minor changes be made to enhance the appearance or usefulness of the "skin." But, their input is about making the bike look right, given the engineers work, which was specified by marketing and budget.

David tried to clarify this division of responsibility on many occasions, but I saw him get a lot of dull, uncomprehending stares from riders when he did.

On two occasions, I was privileged to spend a day or three with David. On the first occasion, I was pleasantly surprised to walk with him among the hundreds of BMWs at a Rally in Missoula. He would pass every stock or near-stock BMW, but would stop and closely examine any bike that had a serious modification, particularly of shape or form. On a couple of stops, he got down on the ground to better observe some modified bike. He never seemed critical; he was observing other people's ideas.

He seemed to be the most open minded of BMW executives, and an American designer who succeeded for eighteen years as a department head in a German company. His designs were popular with buyers, and went a long way toward differentiating the models between mostly similar engines, drive trains, and chassis.

Why David left is a matter of conjecture. However, I am inclined to think it was his decision, for whatever reason.

Right.

A lot of riders don't understand what the term "design" means in motorcycles. At BMW, the engineers are responsible for the engine, drive train, chassis, and most of the mechanically functioning parts of the bike. The designers are responsible for the appearance of the bike. They will request that minor changes be made to enhance the appearance or usefulness of the "skin." But, their input is about making the bike look right, given the engineers work, which was specified by marketing and budget.

David tried to clarify this division of responsibility on many occasions, but I saw him get a lot of dull, uncomprehending stares from riders when he did.

On two occasions, I was privileged to spend a day or three with David. On the first occasion, I was pleasantly surprised to walk with him among the hundreds of BMWs at a Rally in Missoula. He would pass every stock or near-stock BMW, but would stop and closely examine any bike that had a serious modification, particularly of shape or form. On a couple of stops, he got down on the ground to better observe some modified bike. He never seemed critical; he was observing other people's ideas.

He seemed to be the most open minded of BMW executives, and an American designer who succeeded for eighteen years as a department head in a German company. His designs were popular with buyers, and went a long way toward differentiating the models between mostly similar engines, drive trains, and chassis.

Why David left is a matter of conjecture. However, I am inclined to think it was his decision, for whatever reason.

For all the reasons Jim states above, and for the success his designs have seen in the market place (just look at the styling of the GS wanta-bes), I believe he will be a big loss to BMW. No one is irreplaceable, but some people do leave a noticeable hole in the water for a while.

Back