• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Agnes Air Mattress?

scoobs

I bought one of these at the Rally last summer and it's really comfortable, but I find it needs to be reinflated every night (not fully, but it is losing air). I haven't found a leak yet, was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?
Cheers,
Ian.

Had the same problem a couple years ago, the mattress would not hold air through the night. Gave it the dunk in the pool test and I would get bubbles all over the surface, not from a single leak. Big A replaced it free of charge.

Never had a problem with mine, it hold air for days without ever having to reinflate.. Your situation is deffinitly not normal.

When I first inflate mine it will need a little more air after it cools off. Once the mattress has reached ambient temperature as opposed to breath temperature, I don't have to add anything for several days. Never camped more than 5 days.

but I find it needs to be reinflated every night (not fully, but it is losing air). I haven't found a leak yet, was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Stick it in the bathtub (or a swimming pool if you have one handy) and find the leak. In my case it was the valve that was leaking on an Exped mattress... they replaced it. :clap

Same Issue

I've run into the same problem with a Thermarest Neo Air mattress. I think
it has something to do with the temperature in the tent during the daytime.
I have to add air to mine every night before I go to sleep, it holds the air
all night and is fine in the morning, but when I check it just before bed it is
always soft. Go figure. Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge can
explain this phenomenon? Don

I've run into the same problem with a Thermarest Neo Air mattress. I think
it has something to do with the temperature in the tent during the daytime.
I have to add air to mine every night before I go to sleep, it holds the air
all night and is fine in the morning, but when I check it just before bed it is
always soft. Go figure. Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge can
explain this phenomenon? Don

That basically sums up my experience with my Big Agnes air mattress.

Thanks

Once again, swift response from my online friends- I'll try dunking it in the hot tub and see if I can spot any bubbles. I use the mini pump thingy to inflate it and normally do it in two stages so don't think the temperature change is as great as if I were inflating it by mouth. If the problem persists I'll contact the supplier.
Cheers,
Ian.

Follow Up.

After contacting "Big Agnes" they replaced my air matress for free !!!
Can't beat that for after market service.:thumb
Ian

Good folks:)

Mine is a great product except one thing! Takes FOREVER to inflate it:(. I use a electric pump too and nothing seems to help with this. I still have mine but traded off for a better product regarding this only isue with inflating the BA mattress. I'm using the REI self inflator matress now with much happiness. It has a CON too, in its size when packed. Not small as the BA one for packing. A tradeoff! At least I have no inflating issues anymore and no need to pack a pump:). The BA folks are indeed worthy marketeers and take care of the customer in my travels. Wish they would redesign the air intake problem:). Randy

Mine is a great product except one thing! Takes FOREVER to inflate it:(. I use a electric pump too and nothing seems to help with this. I still have mine but traded off for a better product regarding this only isue with inflating the BA mattress. I'm using the REI self inflator matress now with much happiness. It has a CON too, in its size when packed. Not small as the BA one for packing. A tradeoff! At least I have no inflating issues anymore and no need to pack a pump:). The BA folks are indeed worthy marketeers and take care of the customer in my travels. Wish they would redesign the air intake problem:). Randy

We developed that very problem over our summer travels but lived with it because we didn't want to be without the use of it. We planned to mail it back for a replacement, but Paul used our high power air compressor to clear the valve. Seems some of the insulation had gotten misplaced. Works great once more.

Voni
sMiling

I absolutely love my BA mattress, the Air Core. I also have an ultralight Clearview model that would fit in a soda can but it has no insulation so I save it for hot weather camping. It mates up perfectly with my Big Agnes sleeping bag, which has a pocket underneath to slide the pad into.

The BA folks have customer service on par with REI, ever have a problem and they happily offer to replace, you don't even have to ask.

As for blowing it up, I also got a BA brickhouse? Waterproof stuff sack that has an inflator nipple at the bottom, the thing acts like a big air bellows and will inflate either pad in under a minute or two with no hot, moist breath just a little squeezing between the knees. Unbelievable deal for $20.

As for blowing it up, I also got a BA brickhouse? Waterproof stuff sack that has an inflator nipple at the bottom, the thing acts like a big air bellows and will inflate either pad in under a minute or two with no hot, moist breath just a little squeezing between the knees. Unbelievable deal for $20.

I have the same stuff sack/inflator that does work well, but Ted, yours works much faster than mine. On the plus side, I don't get light headed from using it like I used from all the blowing I used to do to get my B.A. inflated. :laugh:laugh

Hah it is all about technique ;)

Sit with pad in front of you and bag connected and held between your legs like you were about to barf in it. Open wide, quickly roll closed, then squeeze your legs together getting every bit of air into the mattress. Repeat 10 or so times :)

Once you figure out how to get a ton of air into it and how to lift on the bag and squeeze at the same time to get all the air out, it is kind of a rhythm and goes quite quickly.

I use it to store the BA Pad, the BA Sleeping bag, awesome inflatable fleece pillow I got on sale at REI for $20 that fits perfectly in the pillow pocket of the BA sleeping bag, camp towel, head LED lights and insect spray.

Thanks;

I'll try my high end compressor to clear valve and see, Voni. BUT, I went and bought the REI pad, 3" thick, self inflating and love it with no inflation issues at all. The BA matress served me well for comfort and the REI still slips into BA bag sleeve:). REI unit packs bigger, but I trade off for ease of use. Just open the valves(2 of 'em) and watch it inflate all on its own, my kind of service:). Randy:thumb PS; Thumbs up to BA folk for their good service and rally support over the years, sounds like they have it together:):dance

Back