• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

shipping bikes

R

rwanamak

I am thinking about buying a bike well out of state. Has anyone suggestions as to how to have a bike shipped, and any experience with shippers? Stuff to watch out for in shipping/buying out of state?:scratch

I am thinking about buying a bike well out of state. Has anyone suggestions as to how to have a bike shipped, and any experience with shippers? Stuff to watch out for in shipping/buying out of state?:scratch
Hi rwanamak, welcome to the forum. I'm going to move your post over to the Motorrad section for better exposure. This pops up from time to time with the bulk of the bike shipping questions answered in conjunction with the National Rally. As your interest seems kinda non-specific, you might be better off in Motorrad. Good luck, Gary

Here's are some old threads ... a few names, and feedback. Maybe a good title for a new sticky too!
icon_wink.gif

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50571&highlight=shipping+companies

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=49583&highlight=shipping+companies

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=42476&highlight=shipping+companies

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=39340&highlight=shipping+companies

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=32903&highlight=shipping+companies

http://www.eagleoneexpress.com/

thanks! going to like these forums i see! i will be checking into these...

Haulbikes

A couple of years ago I had a bike shipped for the first time and used a company called Haulbikes. Out of the gate they were good to deal with, seemed friendly and concise on how the process was to be handled. However, after I paid the fee and made the arrangements, things took a turn for the worse. What was promised to be a two week turn around ended up being about a two month nightmare. To top it all off, once the driver arrived at the sellers home in Austin, Tx. he refused to get the bike because he didn't think he could get his truck down the street to the sellers house and was prepared to simply drive away!! Thank God the seller was a terrific guy because he took charge and called both me and the company (he already had his money by that point so he went above and beyond) and got the issue resolved. The driver was forced to do his job and I eventually got what I had paid for. So, that said, I'd use three monkey's and a boy scout before I'd use Haulbikes again!! Good luck!!

One thing I would like to stress..... Make sure the shipper delivers it [on the ground] when it arrives. Allied V/Lines rolls it out to the lift gate,.from a high semi,trailer.and from there you're on your own. All the driver does is operate the gate! Mine arrived on a snowy day, the gate was wet,the motorcycle barely fit {ON} the gate, and the gate dropped about 3 inches when he lowered it....damn near put me & the motorcycle on ground, in a heap

To do it over again,...I would insist that it be off loaded on the skid,by forklift.then rolled out of skid..or no deal..BTW $600 Fla-Ohio.

Don't mean to sound bossy?... I'm a fair sized guy, 6'1" 260 and it scared the crap outta me!!!!!!!!! as it damn near got away.
Ron

I have mine bolted to the floor, and I unbolt it when not using.....hide in a corner. I use rubber plugs to keep the bolt anchors clean while empty.
Without being bolted down?...it's useless.

Just did it

Hi, I just had one shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
You can ask for BARB.
1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.

DW

I have mine bolted to the floor, and I unbolt it when not using.....hide in a corner. I use rubber plugs to keep the bolt anchors clean while empty.
Without being bolted down?...it's useless.

It appears i placed a reply in the wrong thread....Sorry!:nono:blush

You can often find a retired guy in your local club you can fly to the bike and he'll ride it back for you. (Probably not in mid-winter, obviously.)

He can even be the guy that brings the check.

BTDT

Figure price first

You can often find a retired guy in your local club you can fly to the bike and he'll ride it back for you. (Probably not in mid-winter, obviously.)

He can even be the guy that brings the check.

BTDT

I thought about doing this myself but after figuring fuel, motel, food, etc...their was not much savings if any,and in December not much fun from Portland, Or. either.

shipping bike

I shipped my r80rt by haulbike.everything went fine, they were a little slow.but it was january.so I was not worried about riding any way,

BEWARE OF THE BROKERS!!! Having had lots of cars shipped(and a few bikes) I can tell you that they will wear you out if you get involved with them. They are not actually categorically bad, just on comission and they love to call iat all hours,etc.,etc.. There are internet boards(I'm not at home to look it up) where the haulers look for loads/cars& bikes to haul and you sing up yourself. Uship is another place to look. Get some notion of when & how as I once tried to get a ride to SD,CA for a running car, sarted way ahead of time & after LOTS of EFFORT!!! I gave up & we drove it out there for a son returning from sea duty.
Tell us where you live & maybe a retired guy like me can , in fact ride it for you? I'm game. Thats how I do most stuff that runs. SW air is cheaper than a hauler if not too much motel involved. You ca PM me early next week if you want better suggestions.

Tell us where you live & maybe a retired guy like me can , in fact ride it for you? I'm game.

I was thinking about this last night. Maybe there needs to be a "Pony Express" style relay system set up to move bikes.

One guy rides from A to B, the next guy B to C, etc. Say, 500-700 mile legs? In motion 24/7? Don't ask me about the details of how the first guy get back to A, or the second, or .. ... . :dunno

I was thinking about this last night. Maybe there needs to be a "Pony Express" style relay system set up to move bikes.

One guy rides from A to B, the next guy B to C, etc. Say, 500-700 mile legs? In motion 24/7? Don't ask me about the details of how the first guy get back to A, or the second, or .. ... . :dunno

A group of guys I'm involved with, did that with a dog. Don't remember all the fine points, but a guy moving several states had his M/C & dog left...How to move the dog?
Well one guy picked up the dog, took him ?? 150-200 miles, handed him off to the next guy, another 150-200 or so...till he got where he was going. The owner was very greatful,..and it is said the dog loved the rides......

shipping

I had a great experience with uship. Shippers contact you, give you a bid, and you take the one you want based on price and date of delivery. My R1100R died in CT, was repaired, and then shipped to VA.

Federal + 1

Federal operates it's bike shipping department out of my town ---and I knew the folks who
used to run it. Riders, both of them. They shipped the bikes for the Guggenheim Art of the Motorcycle show...
As always, YMMV...and get it in writing...

Mac

+1 on Federal. Used them twice for cross-country shipping and found them to be professional, on time and experienced. They charge extra fees for pick-upand/or drop-off at residential addresses, so you can save a few bucks if you work out commercial addresses - like maybe a dealer. And AMA (maybe BMWMOA?)members get a discount. I'd use them again.

pete

Back