• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NOOB in AZ

cliffie1946

cliffie1946
Just became a first time owner of an 1976 R90/6 with 24,000 miles. Purchased on Craigslist. It has not run for the past couple of years. PO said it had no spark at the plugs. Battery was shot (would not hold charge). I got it home on my trailer and had it running a day later with a jump from a good battery. It had a broken primary wire at the left coil. I made a short trip around the block and found a few issues. Clutch is balky and carbs need service. Since it has been sitting for so long I plan to inspect all the usual suspect items, all of which I have found written up here on this forum! It's a wealth of knowledge and info so thanks for all the help and advice in advance. I am looking forward to having a reliable vintage bike in a few months. Glad to be on board!

Attachments

• DSCN0170.jpg
    DSCN0170.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 139
Looks like a sweet ride to me:thumb

Any side covers?

Nice seat...is that a Corbin??

Keep the questions coming, the answers are here!!!

Welcome! Check out the Airheads forum further down the forum so the other Airhead owners can hear about your new ride and provide any help you might need.

1 Thanks,I think it will be a great project.

2 Only one side cover. Seat is a Corbin but only looks good from a distance. It needs new foam and a re-cover.

3 I will be hanging around the Airheads section for sure!

4 I'm sure with both of us being in Scottsdale we will meet up soon.

Welcome To BMW from another Airhead!

Looks like a great find. With low mileage it shouldn't take much to get back to life! Have fun and enjoy the ride. Lots of info here, through local Airhead groups and on the web.:wave

Mike
76 R90/6 Candied Red, 120k
93 R100R Legend, Pearle, 40k

Mhorne

Thanks. I pulled the transmission today to check seals and the clutch. Dry as a bone rusty splines but everything else looks good. Oil looked good. No filings on the drain plug magnets. Should be driveable by Monday. Then the clean up work starts. Plenty of that! Everything I've done so far has been very well explained on this forum. It's great!

Wow!

You got a winner, there! NICE!

A small "plug" for joining the Airheads Beemer Club. The site has a LOT of good tech-info available. (The site is a little primitive right now, but is being worked.) Also, the very colorful Snowbum has a huge amount of DETAILED material on his site.

The very good news about Airheads is that there are decades-worth of detailed information on how to wrench these amazing machines. Also, a LOT of parts interchange both between model years and among different models -- a somewhat unique aspect of the character of these bikes, which allows for many used (and new) parts to keep them on the road where they belong.

You're lucky to be in Phoenix, which has several dedicated Airhead owners, and has at least two excellent Airhead mechanics: Dave Alquist at Quality Cycle Service in Mesa, and Omar at Motoghost. Both good for parts (new and used) and for doing more complex jobs that you might not want to tackle right away.

Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

Thanks. I am currently making it road-worthy and then it will be a "ride while refurbing" project. Clocks are being repaired at the moment. (minor work, repairing odo gear and calibrating). Has a cracked glass on speedo which I am replacing myself this week. Found the details on that here. Charging system is good for now. Has a Corbin seat getting recovered. Cover was weather rotted. Should be on the road in a few weeks!

Call me when ready, we'll go for a ride. Send me a PM when ready, I'll pm my number back.

AZ-J

Will do. Waiting on the seat re-cover and it should be rideable. Seat will be ready next week. Then off to get emissioned and plated.

Went for a scoot this AM, it was bit cold so I used the heated grips, but niiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Back