• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Really old BMW rig (a Ural right?)

vetsurginc

I road an 1968 R60/2 with car for 15 years before I had to make space for a new Beemer (wife said one bike at a time please). I'm getting the bug again and the Ural Gear Up looks very intriguing, very like my R60 in top end and acceleration, but stops better with the disc up front.

Anyone have comments on long term ownership? I don't mind DYI maintenance and I understand the recent ones have the same supplier of gears shafts and motor innerds as BMW.

Thanks for your thoughts!

doug maccoy
south florida, 2010 R1200RT

I road an 1968 R60/2 with car for 15 years before I had to make space for a new Beemer (wife said one bike at a time please). I'm getting the bug again and the Ural Gear Up looks very intriguing, very like my R60 in top end and acceleration, but stops better with the disc up front.

Anyone have comments on long term ownership? I don't mind DYI maintenance and I understand the recent ones have the same supplier of gears shafts and motor innerds as BMW.

Thanks for your thoughts!

doug maccoy
south florida, 2010 R1200RT

I think you would be surprised as how far URAL has come in the terms of reliability..though many still remember the old days...

http://www.imz-ural.com/

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

'05 URAL 'Troyka'
(10,000+ trouble free miles)

more

Going on the forums thru the Ural site is interesting. As you say the changes from the older posts seems to indicate Ural listens and responds to some degree. The pres of the company is a frequent poster, although overall posts aren't that frequent.

Even knowing the two wheel drive is strictly loose stuff dirt roads, snow and mud I keep thinking for a few dollars more why not. I had to play GS on my 78 R80RT going from Missola to Cheyenne due to washed out mountain roads and many miles of dirt track (gotta love those dashed blue line roads :) And snow riding in the rig with the dog in the car was a hoot! Folks in Champaign/Urbana thought I was nuts:dance
They were right of course!

Any direct experience with the last couple of years?

doug

I've got a '10 Patrol. As long as you can accept its limitations it is a blast. It is just not something that you can take on the interstate and do 1000 mile days. At 55 it is fine but 65 is asking a lot. Last Sunday I ended up on a back road that was packed snow and ice. Put it in 2WD and had a great time. That is only the second time I actually "needed" 2WD but it is nice knowing it is there. Maintenance requirements are somewhat greater than some other bikes but they are very simple and easy to work on. I have no regrets. In Florida you MUST see Gene Holopaw neat Orlando, one of the very best Ural Dealers. http://holopawcorvette.webpointusa.com/

:buds

Maintenance requirements are somewhat greater than some other bikes but they are very simple and easy to work on.

Can you say what kind of maintenance, in particular the time involved? Is it the valve adjust, final drive maintenance variety, or the clutch spline lube kind?

I don't know if I am tempted, but certainly interested. I'd like to go on more trips with my wife, and a 2 wheeler doesn't work well for her as she tends to doze off on the back after 30-60 minutes. Not good.

I actually didn't know Ural has so many models. The ones I see on the road seemed to be not that different from each other, but that may be my uninitiated eye. I talked to a gentleman on the BRP for a good while last year. I believe he had a Patrol. It looked very military like, had leg shields, 2wd, and smelled really big when he started it up. I don't remember figures, but believe he said the fuel consumption was similar to a pickup truck. I don't recall if that was with the 2wd engaged or always.

I walked away with the impression that one has to be really into it in order to deal with the quirks. It also seemed that while many motorcyclists are generally tinkerers, sidecar people are some serious DIYers. I didn't hear the word farkles. It sounded more like handmade parts.

Can you say what kind of maintenance, in particular the time involved? Is it the valve adjust, final drive maintenance variety, or the clutch spline lube kind?

The service interval is 2500KM (1553 Mi). As with any bike different intervals call for different service items. A "short list service" is Change engine oil, Inspect air filter element, Check; final drive oil level, fasteners, steering column bearings and adjustment of wheel bearings. A "long list" may also include change transmission and final drive oil, torque cylinder head studs, adjust valves, sync carbs, replace spark plugs, check; brakes, spokes, sidecar alignment, timing, brake fluid, tires, battery, lube; foot brake pedal shaft, hinges and linkage, drive shaft splines (A heck of a lot easier than an oil head :laugh). All of the above may not be called for at the same service interval.

With the exception of the Retro all Ural sidecar models are basically the same, differing only in 1 or 2WD, paint and extras ie; spare tire, rack, spotlight, seats. The engine and drive drain is the same, except for the final drive on 2WD drive models (Patrol and Gear-Up)

The owners manual has at least basic service procedures and the service lists. No problem if you do it yourself and sign off in the book.

Unlike an unnamed European motorcycle company :D Ural is very responsive to their customers. I ordered a color matched fairing shortly after I bought my bike. After several months backorder I called the dealer and was told there were no green fairings in the U.S. Just for the heck of it I called Ural North America and spoke with the head of the parts department (Actually he probably IS the parts department.) He confirmed that there were no green ones in the country BUT he offered to send me a loaner of a different color until green was available. Two days later he calls back to ask if I could wait about 10 days. He was having a parts order flown in from Russia and would include a green fairing, without windshield, included an send it to my dealer. The windshield and mounting hardware are not of Russian origin however my dealer had those items and would assemble it. Within 2 weeks I had my complete fairing.

30 MPG is about normal for a Ural.

:buds

I don't know if I am tempted, but certainly interested. I'd like to go on more trips with my wife, and a 2 wheeler doesn't work well for her as she tends to doze off on the back after 30-60 minutes. Not good.

This was the main selling point..to be able to have the wife along on rides..as she will not ride on the back of my other bikes.

Another point about the URAL is it's attraction by both non riders and riders of other makes of motorcycles. Definitely draws a crowd...:kiss

Thank you Railbender!! and everyone else too :thumb

55 mph and 33mpg were the happy spots for the R60 rig. It would do 73 with the sidecar gearing flat out, and a bit more with the standard rear end gearing but you spent more time shifting between 3rd and 4th if you wanted fastest. That used to be fun but I'm thinking secondary roads at 55 are fine, even for long distance.

Orlando has been recommended by several folks so I'll make that a long ride. Shame the Miami dealer isn't more responsive but maybe I've just had bad luck.

I did all the maintenance on my airhead including gaskets, seals, everything short of pulling the crank or getting inside the gearbox. So it seems like I could do a lot of the work.

I read a couple of posts about the spokes being weird. Are they still hand made?

Another dumb question. Can you kick start if the battery is dead or way down? I had an early CDI that let you do that.

Ah. One more. The MCN article suggested the carbs were set pretty rich. Is that true, or something for break-in miles that is adjusted after a few thousand miles? (had that in an older bike too)

Thanks again for your comments!!!

doug

I read a couple of posts about the spokes being weird. Are they still hand made?

Another dumb question. Can you kick start if the battery is dead or way down? I had an early CDI that let you do that.

Ah. One more. The MCN article suggested the carbs were set pretty rich. Is that true, or something for break-in miles that is adjusted after a few thousand miles? (had that in an older bike too)

Thanks again for your comments!!!

doug

Wheels and spokes where hand made with real Russian Steel..but rusted badly..now aluminum..

Yes you can kick start if battery is down..

I would say the carbs where set up lean for EPA reasons..most would re-jet latter.

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

'05 URAL 'Troyka'

Ever consider picking up a 1150GS & talking to Claude Stanley at C. Stanley Motorsports (freedomsidecars.com)? You'll have a lot more comfort, power & reliability for about the same cost as a new Ural.

Claude has built 2 rigs for me. I couldn't be more pleased.

long time away

Had thought of "making" a rig but I was concerned that the frame (or lack of it) on the newer bikes could be a problem.

I'm riding a 2010 r1200rt now and do love the modern touches (heated grips, seat, cruise control - they could've left the turn signals alone). So going old bike or Ural would be entering the past. I'll check in with Freedom though.

Thanks for the tip!

doug maccoy

The more I read the more I want. Have you seen the 2012 Tourist? Shiny black and white double pinstrip. At first glance you think R60. If all the people that have complained about no more airheads from the company see these, Ural's going to have to keep all 150 workers on overtime!

Just got my 2012 GU last week. If you compare it to a /2 the Ural comes out ahead, modern electronics and Brembo disc, along with a hack wheel drum. Not for the fast lane but if you just want to enjoy the ride it's wonderful. My historic-vehicle-liscenced K75S now seems very modern and cutting edge. The manual encourages owners to do their own maintenance and goes into some detail. When I first heard the term "UDF" (Ural delay factor) I thought they were referring to breakdowns. Noooo, it's from folks coming up and chatting every time you stop. And the wife and kids love it. Sorry if I'm not discouraging you from taking the plunge :laugh

Attachments

• withkids.jpg
    withkids.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 101
The more I have read, the less I can be discouraged.

Nice rig! That's the fog color?

To the dealer next week, check in hand. I like the Gobi camo best so far. Now if I can get it broken-in in time to head for Sedalia (by the blue line roads for sure).

Decision made!!!!

:clap Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.

Went up to visit with Gene at Holopaw Corvette in St. Cloud. Million quesitons answered,(guy's got the patience of a saint). Went over the bikes to show me all the ins and outs. Sent me out on his nicely broken in Retro in the back 10 acres. Felt like I was on my R60 again. Reverse is so nice to have. The advances noted for the 2012 models have mostly been incorporated as the 2011 production proceeded. I saved a bit by taking the 2011 model. Gearbox on the new bike (15 Km on the clock) is stiffer than the older bike, but even with that I was able to find neutral no sweat :)

Going back saturday to pick up Vasily (Gear Up) and ride him home. I'm about 150k from Gene's so home and back will have the bike ready for the first service. That mean's Gene trains me on all fluid changes, valve sets, full service. So cool. I like working on my own, and this bike is prime for home care. He did warn me that Florida sugar sand and bottomless mud are not the Ural's friends (bring a winch or come along and a friend).

Pictures when I get him home!

Congrats! My poor K has only been ridden once in the 2 weeks I've had my Gear-Up (no name yet) The Ural is just so damn much fun, and the attention it attracts is unbelievable. I especially like seeing little kids in cages getting all excited seeing it. My 6 and 13 yr olds status has skyrocketed at school since I've ridden them there in the hack.

Back