Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Giant 2012 - MO bigga!

Pre-Rally GS Training

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    We're still working on some of the finer points, but here are some of the challenges on the track. Get ready!

Hi All,

Lot's of fun tricks to handle challenges like these. We'll cover them in two mornings of free training at the Gypsy Tour, Oark, AR July 16-17. And you get points for attending (10 points total, 5 for each day).

Here's a sample: when crossing roots or trees on a sidehill trail anticipate the tires sliding downslope. Either change your angle of approach or look for a downslope branch/knot to hold the wheel. Keep the front wheel light or wheelie over as you cross so it's less likely to slip but chop the throttle IMMEDIATELY after the front wheel clears. Then smoothly get back on the power AFTER the rear wheel crosses. To make this crossing you will need a little momentum.

This technique is pretty to learn and practice. We start in first gear over a small pole on flat ground.

We'll also cover two-track and ruts, slow speed and fast, and of course your favorite and mine, sand and gravel...

See you there,
    Coach

Gs bs

WELL!! ADVENTURE SUMMIT here we go!! GS GIANT #139 just goofing off!
    WORK HARD***PLAY HARDER****
    2009 R1200GSA 2003 GL1800

SCOREBOOKS ARE OUT!!!
    They were emailed this morning. If you didn't get one, check your spam filter and speak up!

Quiet One
    Got mine and I am mapping out routes for BS points
    Andy
    2013 R1200GSW
    BMWMOA # 155500
    1st John 4: 7,8

Polaebear Update

Just got off the phone with our friend Randy(Polarbear), he is in Nevada ,Rt.50 doing and feeling fine.
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS
    '09 G650GS

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Just got off the phone with our friend Randy(Polarbear), he is in Nevada ,Rt.50 doing and feeling fine.
    Thanks forte update. I missed his call last night.

I'm already collecting points!

Today the weather was great (compared to what we have had). A front came through and we had shower, thunderstorms, micro bursts and straight line winds and cooler weather. The high was only 92 but most of the day was in the low 80's.

For those coming from the NW the River Breaks Adventure Tour is very nice. There are two routes. One easier then the other. Both have very pretty scenery and nice roads.

Here are some picture of the area.

Missouri River Valley:

In there breaks there are a number of dirt roads. They are cut through the Loess hill and there are dirt banks on both sides. Consider rerouting if there is much rain.

In NW MO there are a number of wind farms.

Here is some interesting info:

[QUOTE=ajayhawkfan;797056]I'm already collecting points!/QUOTE]

Bike is ready, stuff is packed, leaving PA. Thursday to collect points. See you in Oark.
    Safety Committee
    Frog Bayou Boys
    '91 R100GS
    '09 G650GS

Byrd's adventure center route

In reguards to the warning in the GS Giants Adventure Summit download about GPS routing you to Byrd's from IH-40 .I had routed due north from Ozark just east of hwy 23 running Pink Twist rd for 10 miles. Low Bridge rd for 5 miles then right on Ar215 for 1 mile. Is this the steep,rocky dirt road that we should avoid running solo up to Byrd's for the sunday BBQ. If so i guess I will ride up 23 to AR 215 or would this be a chance to rack up some extra GS BS points with pics on the way up? Just thinking about the "route" couple weeks ago I was loaded up for camping as I will be for this weeks ride and I stopped at a public scale. I now know that my rig is 1060 LBS!!!!
    WORK HARD***PLAY HARDER****
    2009 R1200GSA 2003 GL1800

Quote Originally Posted by GL1800 View Post
    In reguards to the warning in the GS Giants Adventure Summit download about GPS routing you to Byrd's from IH-40 .I had routed due north from Ozark just east of hwy 23 running Pink Twist rd for 10 miles. Low Bridge rd for 5 miles then right on Ar215 for 1 mile. Is this the steep,rocky dirt road that we should avoid running solo up to Byrd's for the sunday BBQ. If so i guess I will ride up 23 to AR 215 or would this be a chance to rack up some extra GS BS points with pics on the way up? Just thinking about the "route" couple weeks ago I was loaded up for camping as I will be for this weeks ride and I stopped at a public scale. I now know that my rig is 1060 LBS!!!!
    The red highlight is the correct way. The other roads could be challenging when riding with a full pack of gear.

Alternate route is AR103 from Clarkesville... a really nice paved ride with super twisties... you hit AR 215 at the east end, right near the Oark General Store.

I'm tellin' ya... the riding here is stunning.

Ian

For the winner on the track...

... a $750 certificate toward any Aerostich suit, boots or gloves.

Thanks, Andy Goldfine, for supporting the GS Giants!
    Attached Images Attached Images

For the overall winner

Some really nice choices for training from the BMW Performance Center.

Thanks to the guys (and gal) there for supporting the GS Giants.

Giant Loop has some goodies for the Giants....

Thanks to Harold Olaf-Cecil and Dave Wachs for showing the GS Giants some love!

Butler Maps, an entire set...

These maps are works of art. Be sure to get you the new Arkansas/Missouri map that'll be shipping ahead of the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    These maps are works of art. Be sure to get you the new Arkansas/Missouri map that'll be shipping ahead of the rally.
    Just ordered a couple.
    Thanks!
    2010 R1200RT
    GO HOGS!