Not far from Henson's General Store is Bryant Creek and the North Fork of the White River. Both are fantastic canoe streams and both have very good smallmouth fishing.
In that are there are 100's of creek crossings with nice gravel bars for a quick dip.
Also, not far from Champion is the town (loosely defined as a building) of Vera Cruz.
This Church was built was built in 1900 in the community of Vera Cruz. Vera Cruz was established around the time of the Mexican War (1846-1849) and was originally called Red Bud. The Red Bud post office was founded in 1846 and the town had two good saw mills and a good general store. In 1857 Douglas County was formed and Red Bud changed it name to Vera Cruz in 1859 and was named the county seat.
During The War to Suppress Yankee Arrogance, on Nov. 7, 1862 at 10 AM approximately 1300 well armed Confederate soldiers bombarded the Yankee positions that were in Vera Cruz at two block house and the courthouse. By 5:00 PM the Union forces surrendered because they ran out of ammunition. The Confederates took the Union valuables and let the soldiers go. No Confederates were killed. Nine union soldiers were killed and 37 wounded. One civilian in town was also killed. This is also known as the Battle of Clark's Mill.