Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Giant 2012 - MO bigga!

Not far from Henson's General Store is Bryant Creek and the North Fork of the White River. Both are fantastic canoe streams and both have very good smallmouth fishing.

In that are there are 100's of creek crossings with nice gravel bars for a quick dip.

Also, not far from Champion is the town (loosely defined as a building) of Vera Cruz.

This Church was built was built in 1900 in the community of Vera Cruz. Vera Cruz was established around the time of the Mexican War (1846-1849) and was originally called Red Bud. The Red Bud post office was founded in 1846 and the town had two good saw mills and a good general store. In 1857 Douglas County was formed and Red Bud changed it name to Vera Cruz in 1859 and was named the county seat.

During The War to Suppress Yankee Arrogance, on Nov. 7, 1862 at 10 AM approximately 1300 well armed Confederate soldiers bombarded the Yankee positions that were in Vera Cruz at two block house and the courthouse. By 5:00 PM the Union forces surrendered because they ran out of ammunition. The Confederates took the Union valuables and let the soldiers go. No Confederates were killed. Nine union soldiers were killed and 37 wounded. One civilian in town was also killed. This is also known as the Battle of Clark's Mill.
    Last edited by ajayhawkfan; 07-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
    How many points do I get for NOT playing?
    You got points for the stellar job you've done as an outstanding volunteer!

AWE, he's local:)

I live so far away and "got it right". Nice write up, however, good reading. I like canoes and river crossings on the GSA. Hope the water stays up, no drying out please. Randy

Lodging ozark

Wanting to lay up in Ozark Ark.Need hotel /eat suggestion
    WORK HARD***PLAY HARDER****
    2009 R1200GSA 2003 GL1800

Quote Originally Posted by GL1800 View Post
    Wanting to lay up in Ozark Ark.Need hotel /eat suggestion
    What dates? The GS Giant Gypsy Tour location comes to mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Thats "Henson's General Store", owned by Betty/Duane Henson and there folks Ed and Anna. Since 1940. Champion,MO. is hard to find, not on a lot of maps. Nice...Need more? 20 or so miles to Norwood, closer to Ava,MO. Randy
    2 points awarded!

Missouri Trivia

Natchez, MO

It shall be unlawful to provide beer or other intoxicants to elephants.

Keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Natchez, MO

It shall be unlawful to provide beer or other intoxicants to elephants.

Keep that in mind!

Quit spoilin' our fun!

The Queen will be out of her jurisdiction if she has to bail your sorry *** outta the pokey!

Hotels, Oark:)

Thats a good one! A hotel would be bigger than Oark. Its a woody place, noth'in but forest and more forest. May be some cool BandDs around there and most motels would be around Conway,Ark. on the Interstate 40, not very far away. Maybe 30 min ride. Byrd's Resort is the GS eventing place, but any accomodations they may have are gone, unknown to me. Visian probably has more input, contact him. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    What dates? The GS Giant Gypsy Tour location comes to mind!
    Yes you are correct! I was going to roll into Ozark late friday 07/13evening and I see there is the Ozark Inn or Oxford Inn. Plan on arriving at Oark 07/14 in the morning for the Gypsy Tour
    WORK HARD***PLAY HARDER****
    2009 R1200GSA 2003 GL1800

Yes you are correct! I was going to roll into Ozark late friday 07/13evening and I see there is the Ozark Inn or Oxford Inn. Plan on arriving at Oark 07/14 in the morning for the Gypsy Tour
    Just to make you aware, the Gypsy Tour starts on the 15th. There is another event going on at Byrd's that weekend so you may want to check on availability for the 14th.

Just to make you aware, the Gypsy Tour starts on the 15th. There is another event going on at Byrd's that weekend so you may want to check on availability for the 14th.

If you are planning on arriving Sat. morning, you will find no Gypsies. There is an event that does not close up until a.m. the 15th. Large 4-wheel drive event.

There will be no Gypsy facilities, food or drink until afternoon the 15th.

The last time I was in Ozark, Ar was about 8 years ago and stayed at the Oxford Inn. There was nothing wrong with it then. There were a few places to eat around the square. I recall one that was quite good along the east side of the square but don't recall the name.

Just down the road is Clarksville. They have lots of motels and restaurants to choose from.