• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Giant 2012 - MO bigga!

See ya found it,Visian:)

The "Store" in Oark and eats:). Of course i have the same pic, GSA in front:). Love to see it all again soon. Did they get a good rain season, Winter and Spring? When I came through a couple years back, it was a dry year, low water. I never saw the resort, must have bypassed it in my adventurism there. Not hard to do, as the Ozark woods are thick, deep and just too much fun:). Randy:thumb

Help wanted!

We are looking for a volunteer or two to help with Data Wrangling. These positions are needed both on the Gypsy Tour as well as the rally itself. Duties include working with Mistress Scorekeeper (me) to:

• Verifying photo location and of loading pictures to each rider's file.
  • Posting great photos to the forum and Facebook.
  • Assisting riders with uploading maps/routes to GPS
  • Verifying riders' documentation showing Adventure Detour taken.

To perform these tasks, you must have an understanding of:

1. Mapping Software and uploading maps using Garmin and Google Maps.
  2. Off loading and saving photo files to a computer and uploading online.
  3. Facebook, MOA, ADV log in.

If you can help with any or all of these tasks, please get in touch here or via PM.

Peel Ferry

The GS Gypsy Tour riders will get to take a nice break on their way from Arkansas to Missouri. I just love ferry rides in the middle of an Adventure Ride.

Peel Ferry is the last public ferryboat operating in the state of Arkansas. It transports vehicles and passengers across a section of Bull Shoals Lake. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

No, you don't need to dress like a pirate to ride the ferry... :ha
ap06010.jpg

Destination for one of the "hard" dayride options...

About 60 miles from the BMW MOA rally, Cooper Creek offers an off-roading opportunity for riders heading to, or riding out from Sedalia. You can find out more specifics, including camping info, at the GS Giant's Adventure Summit FB page.

Here are are few shots of where we'll be riding. The place also gets some ATV use, so many of the trails are wide and easy to ride. However, there were more than a few hero loops.... and thanks to Brian Burdette for going riding on a cold November day.

CooperCreekParking-L.jpg

CCTrail3-L.jpg

CCTrail4-L.jpg

CCTrail6-L.jpg

CCTrail5-L.jpg

CCTrail2-L.jpg

Here's the other option for a "hard" day ride...

... or a great place to stop on your way to the BMW MOA rally to the east.

Fingerlakes State Park OHV area.

Low fees, looks to be some really nice camping.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gwdAJWDiiAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GS Giant gypsy tour

As a first timer to both the rally and the GS giant gypsy tour, I have some questions that I hope someone will answer. I tried on the GW Giant website but never could get a reply.
One: Would it be a good idea to put knobbies on? I have anakees on now.
Two: What is the deal about points?
Three: Can anyone who has been on the gypsy tour describe the schedule, and the "hard" ride to the rally?
Anymore helpful information would be appreciated.

Hi Reid,

Knobbies are not a requirement and it's up to you based on your skills and what type of roads you want to travel. I ride on Tourance's and I can manage all but the really nasty stuff which I don't care to do anyway. As for the hard route, I don't know that it's been determined yet but last year's was longer than it was hard. And you will have plenty of new friends to ride with and help you along the way.

Here's a video to give you a taste of what to expect and at about 6 minutes in, a great example of someone needing some help. All ends well!

Ride to the Rally

Points are earned in a number of ways.
  • Participate with forum posts and pictures/video on the MOA and ADV forums.
  • Take up to two adventure detours and document on the way to the rally. (routes will be provided)
  • Create and document your own adventure detour.
  • Take pictures at various locations from a list provided.
  • Participate in Gypsy Tour.
  • Volunteer at the Gypsy Tour and/or the rally.
  • Ride the Mo Fo tour. (Four Corners of Missouri.)
  • Break something.
  • And any other BS point opportunities that may come up. There are always a few surprises.

All will be revealed when Scorebooks are emailed out on July 8th.

Look forward to meeting you!

Mistress Scorekeeper, Queen of Giants

To add to what Tracy said...

Knobbies can help on the track, if you're serious about competing there. Since you live in SE Arkansas, and you can put some TKCs or Karoos on your bike, it'd be an advantage, but not necessary.

You can earn points for doing various stuff on the way to or during the event. Tracy describes most of the stuff above.. You'll get a scorebook a week ahead of the start and it will outline all the opportunities.

If we manage to scare up any prizes, you can win stuff.

Three: Can anyone who has been on the gypsy tour describe the schedule, and the "hard" ride to the rally?

There's a post just a page or so ago that shows a few snaps of a "hard" route. Some might throw their head back and issue a Giant-like "har har har" but in general, it's rideable with gear loaded. The roads are public, they're just maintained... country-style.

hope this helps.

Ian

here.... this video gives you a fairly good overview of the event:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5ttWGwWZ5Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wildlife:)

Even these new friendly little shell critters accept us:). This one was in trail, so I assist with a GSA ride on my tank:), as I check my playbook37! Hope it was a good omen. Not too photogenic, as he clammed up:(. Better than the snakes, I don't friendly up to. Randy:thumb

Attachments

• P7140025.jpg
    P7140025.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 101
the Ozark Boyz have been busy...

They're laying out easy (green), medium (blue) and hard (red) dayrides for the GS Gypsy Tour....

GypsyTourDayrids-L.png

As a first timer to both the rally and the GS giant gypsy tour, I have some questions that I hope someone will answer. I tried on the GW Giant website but never could get a reply.

Hi, I went last year with Michelin Anakee's. I had no issues even on the track, however I chose the easier track because of the tires. That said, this year I plan to have knobbies and plan to ride the 1200 miles on the knobbies there and back. So, if you have the option, definately use knobbies as you will be able try more routes with less risk. If your real question is, I have anakees and can not (afford/justify) putting knobbies on, should I still participate? Absolutely! Just recognize the DS tires will be a consideration with conditions and your experience level. If it gets rainy, those tires will be very risky so just stick to pavement in those conditions.

Points- last year I was curious about the points and very skeptical, I also failed to ask good questions like you are doing. My assumption was that you would need to be a rockstar off road rider to get big points, so I did not put in a big effort to get points. I was wrong, and could have easily been in the hunt to win. You get a booklet emailed that has the ways to earn points. GPS coordinates and such, to go find on the way. My mistake was I only took off work for the weekend before and to the rally weekend, so I was already behind if I wanted all the points and do the gypsy tour as well. I had to get there from Fl. So I went for points, my routes to the adventure detour points took me to places I would have not even looked for without this points chase. We ended up so deep into Tenn and WV that we ended up burning up 4 days having too much fun just riding in the areas we discovered. So, I quit worrying about points as we were enjoying ourselves too much. We ended up having to ride late into the night just to get to the Rally on time. As I said, I quit trying for points, but still finished 15th overall on points. So had I actually tried, who knows. The bottomline is I had so much fun just chasing a few points that I didn't care. This year I plan to chase those points, but not to get the points, it is really to see these places they found to put the points. It made the whole experience a real adventure to what would have otherwise been just another rally. Now I look at the 4 day rally as needing about 14 days, as there is just too much to see and lots of fun to be had.

As a side note my wife was following me the whole way, so it is not about difficult, if you want to be careful you can. It is about the adventure.

Cheers and good luck :thumb

This year I plan to chase those points, but not to get the points, it is really to see these places they found to put the points. It made the whole experience a real adventure to what would have otherwise been just another rally.

Thanks, Rich! That was exactly the intent when that list was put together. To show parts of the state that most people would otherwise never see.

We are working on another similar list for Mo. (Oops! Did I just leave a spoiler???)

Another misconception;

Too many GS'ers and others think we're a party animal in dirt, extreme and all else! Well, maybe slight animal like if you see the GS comp. event at the rally itself, BUT. We walk and talk "Adventure" at ALL age groups, from young to much older into late 60s and 70+, so don't shy away think'in you have no interest or don't belong. Your worst mistake, if so. PLEASE spread the word to join in this life changing experience:). We are SO willing to welcome newbies to GS'ism and you are never pushed to be unsafe... Just watch,learn(GS seminars a plenty) and maybe, just maybe go get some Adventure for yourself, OFF The Beaten Path". Your GS/GSA is quite a machine, road or dirt or both! If nothing else, you'll smile a plenty, garranteed"). Did I mention EAT WELL too:) and camp with some great folk...GSGiant/Randy GSA1200"Polarbear":thumb

you didn't tell them about Bloody Bill Anderson's Grave, did you? :uhoh

39.28507643 -93.97634419
:hide

Missouri has a lot of natural beauty in all corners of the state. Missouri has mountains, crystal clear rivers, rolling Loess Hills, river bluffs and plains. Every corner of the state is different. The state also has lots of unique history. There is something for everyone to explore.

IMG_0296.JPG

Notice people are still taking chips from his "new" headstone.

He is buried in a field but in 1908 Cole Younger had his body moved to a historic Mormon Graveyard although he was not planted near Saints.

If you are coming from the West I urge you to spend a little time in the Flint Hills and/or Gypsum Hills in Kansas. Adventurers will not be disappointed.

P1020476.JPG

P1010370.JPG

P1010390.JPG

Eddie

Last edited:
Hey Eddie ....

Tell 'em about the swinging bridges.

Great Adventure Detour if you're riding in from the east/southeast.

P8011915.JPG

Photo by Troy Wolf, one of the Oark Boyz.

The Swing Bridges detour is beautiful especially the part from I-44 (St. Robert, MO) to the rally.

Along that part of the route there are 4 or 5 very old cable bridges that are still being used.

Here are a few pictures from the route to wet your appetite. They are all from a ride I lead that included Troy.

P1010008.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010032.JPG

There are a few gaps in the planks.

P1010016.JPG

I can assure you that those swing bridges do rock!

Eddie

Back