• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Giant 2012 - MO bigga!

Here are a few pictures from the Oark area:

P1000574.JPG

P1000578.JPG

P1000581.JPG

P1000589.JPG

In southern MO there is Grand Gulf State Park. It is a collapsed cave. Sometimes there is no water in the bottom and get canyon. If that is the case you can climb down and there is a large natural bridge.

P1000625.JPG

P1000630.JPG

The water goes underground. They have put die in the water and it has show up in Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, 13 miles away.

P1000635.JPG

Mammoth Spring starts the Spring River. This dam is about 100 yards down stream of the spring:

P1000642.JPG

a BS Challenge!

The Scorekeeping Queen is feeling like a challenge this morning.

Oklahoma is now represented on the Gypsy Tour. Anyone care to guess how many states, Canadian providences, and Countries are represented? 2 BS points to the one who nails it! (Gypsy Tour registrations only.)

The Scorekeeping Queen is feeling like a challenge this morning.

Oklahoma is now represented on the Gypsy Tour. Anyone care to guess how many states, Canadian providences, and Countries are represented? 2 BS points to the one who nails it! (Gypsy Tour registrations only.)

28 total.

July 2011

Last July I took a ride around Southern Missouri. It was a hot weekend but so what? If you only ride in perfect weather you would not ride much.

GS Giants, if you check out the ride report it will give you a glimpse of what you will be seeing while chasing BS Points in Southern Missouri.

I did a short RR on ADV Rider, here is the first post:

Last Wednesday I received a call from business customer of mine about a new project that he was planning. During the call the conversation turned to motorcycle riding. He mentioned that he and a few of his friends were leaving Thursday morning from the Branson, Missouri area and was heading to the Little Sturgis Rally in Kentucky. They were going to stop in Cape Girardeau, MO for the night. There is a brew pub in Cape that I have been wanting to try so I asked him if he would mind if I joined him and his friends for dinner Thursday night. With his answer, I cleared my desk off and was out the office door at 2:00. I pack and was on the road by 3:00. It was hot when I left, 95 degrees but got hotter as we headed east. I rode the slab to Washington, Missouri for the night. That evening I walked to a nice bar/restaurant for dinner and a few beers.

The next morning I was up and out fairly early. My plan was to ride mostly gravel and dirt to Cape and stop at a number of historic mills along the way. Cape is only 135 miles SE of Washington however my route was ending up being 235 miles because I headed SW to visit Paydown (Pay Down) Mill.

P1000116.JPG

What I could find out about Paydown was that is was build by Charles Lane in 1820 and was the first mill and distillery in the area. He also was the first slave owner in the area.

Some of the "works" in the basement.

P1000118.JPG

The mill had to go through a number of changes over the years. I believe originally the mill was powered by a waterwheel and later a turbine replaced the waterwheel. The turbine would be at the bottom of the shaft and covered by mud.

From Paydown I headed SW towards Hahns Mill.

If you are interested in the rest of the RR and more pictures here is the link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707985

Last edited:
the scorekeeping queen is feeling like a challenge this morning.

Oklahoma is now represented on the gypsy tour. Anyone care to guess how many states, canadian providences, and countries are represented? 2 bs points to the one who nails it! (gypsy tour registrations only.)
i guess 29

Representation BS

Break it down! How many states? How many provinces? How many countries? 2 points for the total, and 5 points for the first person to get all three!

The World's Biggest Chigger....

... a MO BS stop that you can bag as you ride to the rally, ride the MO FO Corners tour, or on the GS Gypsy Tour.

And... a reminder to bring insect repellent to the GS Gypsy Tour. :ha

Attachments

• chigger.jpg
    chigger.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 79
Pies and bikes.

Looking forward to a fun time. All pie is good, although cowpie would be my very last choice. Coming from Florida and will wander my way in time for Sunday. See you'll there.

Looking forward to a fun time. All pie is good, although cowpie would be my very last choice. Coming from Florida and will wander my way in time for Sunday. See you'll there.

Florida sand and cow pies, boy do i know that!

Here's an interesting Adventure Detour if you're heading to Oark from FL... it's the second leg in the three-part Floribama Ride.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1321120/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ride info

as a noob to this process i have a few questions ...if you cant make it sunday when does the group leave for the rally and could they be joined "on route" or is it a stationary rally , leaving ang returning to the same spot each day?

also, do you have to camp each night or will there be accomodations nearby?

cheers
dr chet

The event will be stationary for a few days and leave Byrd Adventure Center on Wednesday to head for Sedalia. If you can't make it on Sunday, you are still welcome to join us on Monday or Tuesday however, the price will be the same and still a bargain for 2 days. $100 This is a camping facility with few "cabins" which I believe are already booked. I'm not sure if there are other accommodations nearby.

as a noob to this process i have a few questions ...if you cant make it sunday when does the group leave for the rally and could they be joined "on route" or is it a stationary rally , leaving ang returning to the same spot each day?

also, do you have to camp each night or will there be accomodations nearby?

cheers
dr chet

Hey Chet - to add to what the Queen says above... the nearest hotels to the site of the GS Gypsy Tour are down on I-40... a 30-40 minute ride, depending on which "steep and crooked" road you take.

The ride from Arkansas to Missouri will start on Wednesday morning, and it will be hard to join up in the middle, since there are three different routes to take and most people ride in small groups.

We hope you can make it, because we're going to have a heckuva good time!

Ian

Back