• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Requesting Your MOA Help Locating A BMW Contact For Assistance with my K1600GT Parts!

Like in one of the other threads where a guy is having a rough go of life in general....."life sucks and then you die". Things could be worse so look on the brighter side it can only get better.

Dear rxcrider, Thank you much for the additional information; it is indeed appreciated.

The last thing on Earth that I want is a fight with BMW, especially not in a

Since I had a massive heart attack in 2005, 3 blockages in my arteries, half of the AZB Old Geezers are betting that I'll actually croak before my BMW K1600GT returns to me.

LOL - The question should be what you're having for lunch, with regard to croaking from cardiac artery reocclusion, not when the GT will get home. If you've maintained your diet, as you seemingly have your civil attitude, through all this, along with acceptable blood pressure, left ventricular capacity, femoral pulses and lab results, then I believe you'll be there when she comes down the ramp.

Hang in there, you appear to have your "life" priorities in the right order.

Don - At this point, I would urge you to contact an attorney [again]. I never thought I've say that - not exactly being a fan of attorneys and always having been able to work out issues with BMW. However, this is an outrageous delay in getting the part for your bike.

BMW is building and sending K16's as I type. It is not an unreasonable DEMAND they stop one of those machines from being built while they have one already sold that's out of service for a part, to get that already sold - damn expensive machine - back on the road.

Seriously, I would have been on the phone looking for counsel a month ago if I were in the same situation.

It's nice that everyone wants to try to help and that some are offering legal advise [or maybe just legal information] but you need the real thing, face to face at this point.

So the dealer sat on this bike, so to speak, for 4 months waiting for parts without even calling BMW to see what the heck was going on? That's appalling, seems like BMW would not want a dealer like this representing the marque.

But bad experience with a dealer aside, I must say it's also scary that parts are simply not available and BMW had to pull them off a demo bike to get them to Don - this suggests that anyone buying one of these bikes at this stage, until pipeline is a lot more full, is basically risking the same thing happening.

If BMW does not have parts inventory for these bikes, an accident or mechanical failure may leave you without a bike for an effectively indefinite period. (There aren't that many demo bikes they can strip for parts...) Hopefully this situation will be resolved when demand for the bikes is met, but it seems like that may be quite some time in coming...

Well JimInSF, I might as well spill the beans. The parts availability on our K1600's is way past scary, it is downright terrifying! If your K1600 has an accident or mechanical failure: You'll be waiting a year to get your parts.

The BMW Motorrad AG Computer in Germany shows the availability of my missing K1600 radiator expansion coolant tank as being October 15 of 2012.

So, if BMW NA had not pulled that tank off it's demo; I'd have waited a year to get the part necessary to get my K1600 back on to Arizona roads.

And it gets worse than this: The left muffler was damaged in the deer strike while running over that 250 lb. muley. As Dean said, all parts were ordered in October of 2011. The BMW Motorrad AG Computer in Germany shows that left muffler as being available in January of 2013: 16 months!

So my K1600GT is coming home to Arizona, hopefully, with Remus mufflers.

Mr. Hans Blesse is now the new Vice President of BMW Motorrad - United States of America. I'm preparing a letter to him that'll rock his socks off!!!

Returning to service-Moderator action

Moderator Message

Sorry for the short disruption of this thread. It was put in a time out mode while we cleared a few issues up. It was not the OP's original content or the majority of the following posts.

Please continue:type with the comments and hope your K16 is rolling soon Don.

Moderator Message

Sorry for the short disruption of this thread. It was put in a time out mode while we cleared a few issues up. It was not the OP's original content or the majority of the following posts.

Please continue:type with the comments and hope your K16 is rolling soon Don.

Many Thanks Henzilla - Steve: Been looking at pics and so happy Gisele is returning soon!

Yea yea, and you should see what he posts up on the FJR forum!

We Stanley Boys just can't wait for our sweet K1600GT to return home to us here in Arizona. Here's Gisele in Monument Valley, photo by Son Seth!

DSCF0175.jpg

My Son Seth and I ride "Gisele" to FJRforum.com events, here we are below on the route to Torrey, Utah for an FJR Forum Gathering. In June, Seth (15) and I are riding to Castlegar, British Columbia for a National FJR Forum Gathering.

From BC, Canada we head North to Alaska and return by way of the car ferry. This'll be a three week Father and Son Experience!

http://nafo.fjrrally.com/

In July we two are riding to Colorado for a week long FJR Event based in Salida.

http://www.sw-fog.com/

6247469765_257d702c5b_z.jpg

And it gets worse than this: The left muffler was damaged in the deer strike while running over that 250 lb. muley. As Dean said, all parts were ordered in October of 2011. The BMW Motorrad AG Computer in Germany shows that left muffler as being available in January of 2013: 16 months!

So my K1600GT is coming home to Arizona, hopefully, with Remus mufflers.

I noticed you said hopefully, has the dealer or BMWNA been unclear how the muffler replacement will be handled.

Lets hope it doesn't take over a month to ship your bike like what happened to the guy I mentioned in post #2.

I noticed you said hopefully, has the dealer or BMWNA been unclear how the muffler replacement will be handled.

Lets hope it doesn't take over a month to ship your bike like what happened to the guy I mentioned in post #2.

No Lee, the Remus issue was decided way back in December; with buy in approval from AAA Insurance and myself. With the BMW left muffler not being available from Germany until January of 2013 and Remus being a quality product, it made perfect sense to go with an aftermarket muffler replacement for my Gisele.

If Gisele doesn't arrive here by month's end, I'll take Greyhound Bus up and ride her home: If snow and ice are clear from Interstates 15 and 40 through to Arizona

Maybe I missed it.
Is it properly repaired?
Is your bike on it's way back home to you?
If it's just awaiting transport, why not just go get it?

Just really curious.

No Lee, the Remus issue was decided way back in December; with buy in approval from AAA Insurance and myself. With the BMW left muffler not being available from Germany until January of 2013 and Remus being a quality product, it made perfect sense to go with an aftermarket muffler replacement for my Gisele.

I think the smaller Remus gives the GT a sportier look and I like the fact you can see more of the rear wheel.

K1600GT_REMUS.jpg

K1600GT_REMUS_1.jpg

Sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnb22j3Y6R8

Maybe I missed it.
Is it properly repaired?
Is your bike on it's way back home to you?
If it's just awaiting transport, why not just go get it?

Just really curious.

Hi Steve, According to Salt Lake City BMW it is properly repaired. According to SLC BMW and BMW North America they will transport it for free. It is snowy and icy up in Salt Lake City right now, so I would have to come up with means to transport it at my expense.

Steve, I am the single father of a Special Needs Son: Seth (15) is Autistic. To drive many miles up and back from Chandler requires taking Seth out of school for many days.

With his handicap, missing school severely impacts him, he gets special therapy instruction.

Ok, makes sense to wait then. I just must have missed that it was finished and just waiting for a ride home.

Understand about your son. Missing time in school is a big deal in his case.

The bike can certainly wait.

After 43 years of buying new models of BMW Motorcycles, this Rider's calling it Quits

Letter was sent to customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com and by Certified US Mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 25, 2012

Vice President Hans Blesse
BMW Motorrad USA
P. O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675-1227

Dear Mr. Blesse,

I wish to congratulate and applaud your being promoted as the Vice President of BMW Motorrad USA.

Hope your new position works professionally to your utmost satisfaction and your personal fulfillment.

However, you now face a extremely serious and endemic problem within the ranks of BMW Motorrad.

BMW Motorrad USA absolutely has no ability to deliver replacement parts necessary to keep new BMW Models roadworthy. My 2012 BMW K1600GT was disabled due to a deer strike on 10/13/11.

My moto has sat at BMW of Salt Lake City, Utah for five months now simply due to BMW Motorrad Germany being unable and unwilling to supply a replacement radiator expansion coolant tank: $40.00.

It's incomprehensible, and irresponsible of BMW Motorrad, they can sell a Customer a machine for $28,500: But they cannot even provide a simple plastic jug for over a year to keep the bike operational.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=57993 http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...w-contact-assistance-my-12-k1600gt-parts.html http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3585.0 On January 24 I called out for help to the following BMW Forum Organizations that I belong to: BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, BMW K1600 Forum and BMW MOA Chartered Club #89 AZ Beemers. There are 4 pages each of comments regarding my bike's downtime situation at each of these sites. Please, do read them.

Mr. Blesse, here is what you'll discover when you read these dozen pages: I'm not alone in this BMW Motorrad Lack of Parts Availability Problem, this BMW fiasco is so widespread and affecting so many.

I have been a BMW Owner since 1969 when I bought my R60/2 in Augsburg, Germany. My first BMW shop was in the Altstadt of Munich. Since then I have tirelessly promoted the sales of BMW's.

In 43 years of riding BMW, over 500K miles on BMW, I've talked so many people into buying BMW.

This has now come to a final end, I cannot promote BMW due to it's lack of supply of necessary parts.

I still do not have my 2012 BMW K1600GT back to me, how can I support BMW after this situation?

I sadly do not believe that BMW could spell Customer Support if you gave them the U's, O's or the E.

I'm very sad over this tragic and senseless predicament, loyal BMW Customers shouldn't have to wait a full year to get a replacement coolant tank and certainly not 16 months to get a new left BMW muffler.

Don Stanley, Chandler, AZ beemerdons@aol.com Cell: 480-440-4666 MOA/24810 BMWRA/21856.

Good to hear :thumb
Let us know if Hans Blesse replies to your letter.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=56981 Actually Lee, I hope to have lunch with Herr Hans Blesse this Summer! 15 of we AZ Beemers are going to Germany to ride the Alps and Dolomites. On Friday, August 3rd I have a Tour scheduled for the BMW Motorrad Plant in Berlin. On Tuesday, August 7 I've both the BMW Auto Plant Tour and the BMW Museum Tour scheduled in Munich, Bavaria.

If Herr Blesse is en Deutschland during either of those dates I hope to meet him.

Don't plan on riding to New Jersey this year, so I'll only be seeing him in Europe.

0912-p0048323.jpg

Again, it's clearly a topic for an MOA article/investigation.

BUT, if I were BMW I'd make sure spare parts related to normal maintenance and some mechanical issues were available before crash damage parts.

In any event, they've clearly prioritized gettting the bikes to dealers higher than getting the spare parts system tuned to where it perhaps should be. I bet most dealers are happy.

So, is it "clearly" an issue ... or is this a sample of one or somesuch small sample?

Indignation works best when there are numbers. This certainly appears like nothing endemic but rather a system glitch around one fairly obscure part. Bit over the top on hysteria, I'd suggest.

No - more like standard operating procedure. I heard of this with the G450X enduro as well. Enduro bikes get crashed and plastics get broken - nature of the beast. Unfortunately, BMW didn't stock the plastics for a while and since it was a new bike, no aftermarket parts were available. Guys were having to wire the bodywork back together to keep riding.

I can maybe see you calling the expansion tank and obscure part, but the muffler had an even longer lead time. Are mufflers obscure?

bert.jpg

Back