• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

SS1000 Austin/El Paso/Austin, April 28th

R

rvickery2

I'm planning a SS1000 from Austin to Fabens and return to Austin on April 28th, 2012. Just putting it out there to see if anyone else might be interested.

Starting in South Austin heading west on 290, I-10 to Fabens, Tx, and return. There is one guy starting in San Antonio and doing the same route out I-10. We agreed to meet in Junction at the first fuel stop. I might even ride to SA the night before and just start with him. The advantage to San Antonio start is Interstate the entire way. I would still come home 290 through Fredericksburg on return to sleep in my own bed.

You have an interesting option although I think it would take longer. I-35 to San Antonio, I-10 west to the I-10/I-20 junction just outside Ft. Stockton, and then back to Dallas. That is just over 1000 miles.

Let me know what you have in mind.

I wouldn't mind coming down early to SA. I used to live there and still have a number of friends down there. I have been meaning to do a SS since I got my 2011 RT back in October. I have been wanting to go sooner but this might work out. I am just a little concerned about running the IH10. Keep me posted.

Hi, Randy,
If you are serious about the ride, I have a suggestion. You have 24 hours to do the 1000 miles. About 5 miles north of the Fabens exit is Cattlemens Steakhouse. It is a Very good steakhouse. Ride out from Austin, grab a motel room, have a great dinner, and ride back the next day. If I'm home then, I'd be glad to meet you at Cattlemens.

PHM,

Sounds tempting but if I have a steak I'd need that motel room to sleep it off. I would like to grab lunch but the ride will take 16 to 18 hours without long stops. My plan is to head back and if needed I would stop near Junction or Fredericksburg. Then I would only have a couple of hours left after a nap.

If the group is up for lunch we might contact you and let you know. I am supporting another member of Two Wheel Texan's on his ride so I'm letting him set the pace and plan.

Hi, Randy,
Remember, on I-20 a few miles east of Monahans and most of I-10 from somewhere east of Junction is posted at an 80mph speed limit. The 80mph stops at the El Paso County line. Careful - the highway patrol is very active in El Paso county.

Opinion not asked for!

I have always considered group riding risky. A risk I have accepted many times. Group LD riding is a risk I have never accepted. I have never asked nor been asked to participate in a group LD. If I did, short of catastrophy, collision or health concerns, I would have an understanding that I could drop out at any time and anyone else could do the same without hindering the success of others in the group. YAH! I know that no one asked my opinion. Harold in Kansas

We're all adults here Harold, you can give your opinion anytime. That is pretty much the plan. Plan together, start together, it isn't a race and a patch isn't worth road rash. My plan is pretty fluid, if I get too tired I stop for 4 or 5 hours. It is nice to know that you have a few attempting the same out and back. We don't have to stay staggered with a 2 second gap. We all know the gas stops and turn around point. Point it west, turn around at 520 miles, come back east, keep it rubber side down. Simple! :brow

We're all adults here Harold, you can give your opinion anytime. That is pretty much the plan. Plan together, start together, it isn't a race and a patch isn't worth road rash. My plan is pretty fluid, if I get too tired I stop for 4 or 5 hours. It is nice to know that you have a few attempting the same out and back. We don't have to stay staggered with a 2 second gap. We all know the gas stops and turn around point. Point it west, turn around at 520 miles, come back east, keep it rubber side down. Simple! :brow

Y'all still going? I'm very interested

Back